Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Exo Skeleton Soldier.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
E4sY polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, been working on this character. Would like to know what people think. Thanks.
Reference by Vadim ~slipgatecentral:
Exoskeleton_by_slipgatecentral-1.jpg

Model-WIP:
Exo_body_10Front.jpg

Replies

• E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    One particular area I'm stuck on is the arms. I'm thinking about lengthening them some, as they seem somewhat short to me.. Is this an edit that seems warranted to anyone else?
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great concept...to do justice to it i would recommend you to concentrate on anatomy first and then built the exo suit...not only the arms even her legs are short...in the concept even though she has that suit it defines her femininity very well..try to achieve(except for her right biceps) man thats huge..good luck with this character
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for commenting. I went and took a screen shot of my models anatomy. As I'm looking at it, I cant tell whether its the suit looking to bulky on her body (i.e. legs) or if its the anatomy itself. The arms are confusing me too. I can't tell if the forearms need to be lengthen or the biceps.

anatomy.jpg
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all nice sculpting. About the proportions I think biceps should be longer and bigger also maybe lose some of the overall muscle definition. I love her belly. Rotate the finger tips a bit inward to give a more relaxed and natural feel to them.
    Just opinions not facts.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, good start so far and cool concept. ISmokeRodeo i think was right when he said to make the biceps a little longer. The right arm looks correct but the left arms angle kinda shows the shorter bicep length. The elbows should be just above the navel in a relaxed pose.

Just an image to show ya
    http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif

Don't worry about the fingers being relaxed. I find fingers deform better when they aren't bent a lot in the base pose. But you can do whatever really.

The one thing that pops out to me is the neck. It looks a little long in your sculpt. Once you add the armor it may hide this but wouldn't hurt to do a quick test.

Looks great so far keep it up :)
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    really coming along nice
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, great initiative on show here.

You picked a hard concept to match. It's got anime styled proportions, and if you don't have your normal anatomy fundamentals down pat you will probably run into some issues making it work, and i think that is evident here.

I would highly recommend this website when looking at your reference,

http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/

With your sculpting as well i would recommend you focus on the larger forms and avoid detailing for as long as possible. Try and break things down into major planes more if you will.

Keep it up!
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that concept actually a exoskeleton suit? Or could it be a cyborg? I only ask because the calve muscles look really weird in the concept, they are far placed from the knees. Just something to think about.
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the help. I have taking them all to heart, and will post an update with further progress as soon as possible. Thanks again.
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    I made some proportional adjustments as advised. The arms a bit longer and the legs too.

Titus S - the concept sketch was titled exo-skeleton, but I did see where the knee's looked out of place. I think it was just a mistake by the artist (whom I don't know, since there was no signature).

Exo_body_11Fcopy.jpg
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    Here is another update. The back is in need of the most work. I may change some things about it as I'm not quite happy w/ it yet. Probably try doing a paint-over.

Exo_body_16Fcopy.jpg
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    Here is another update. I'm working on the details a bit more. There are still some refinements in the shape of the character that need to be made.

Exo_body_18copy.jpg
  • E4sY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E4sY polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a new update. I started on the gun harness shown on the left hip. Also did some retopology passes to get the hard surface forms correct.

Exo_body_21copy.jpg

Exo_body_22copy.jpg