Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First model/UV Mapping Review

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
I'm beginning work and I've got a host of learning to do from Maya to Zbrush, unity and some others.

Anyways I wanted to post my first mesh based on a tutorial I'm following. The tutorial has been pretty good though I spent some time figuring out problems I noticed with the mesh after the tutorial (like the mirror geometry settings for example).

Please let me know if there is a preferred method of posting these kind of things for review, do you want to see the wireframe? What about angles? Just thoughts...

Anyways here you go:

996159_10101857499293371_2046147298_n.jpg

And the UV Mapping to go along.

1016743_10101937017109031_1485502035_n.jpg

I appreciate any feed-back, hit me. One thing I did notice was my use of tris in places. . I was doing some reading and I know that quads are preferable. Is there anything I can do about that? I had some trouble with finding away around using tris in certain places like the breakdown of the hand where I went from higher detail to lower detail of the arm, parts of the boot and assorted other areas, some were hidden behind other parts of the mesh, some were not.

Replies

• Doran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start!

im not sure if its something you intended buy you could get a lot more detail out of the model if you had a symetrical texture, so uv half the body and copy them over instead of having 2 feet 2 hands etc on the texture map

what i like to do is uv the entire head but only half the body and duplicate it over

and get a checker box texture onto the model to make sure the scale of the uvs is all okay

if that makes any sense
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually only went up to a basic level of detail. I am using the "free" student version and what I did was work from the head down with a duplicate-mirrored. Then I took it UV mapped most of the model, cut down the middle and deleted the left side. I used the mirror geometry function, which mirrored the UV's and combined the UV's afterwards. I think what I did wrong, was separate the UV's for the parts you are talking about after I mirror geometry. I had them overlapped and now I don't... which means something like double-work or requires me to cut the texture and overlap it on individual pieces. That sound correct?

As for the checker box, after I had the UV's mapped out I attempted to scale all of them in the larger UV field so that the mapping was correctly scaled. The tutorial suggested that the head be mapped to a higher scale so I could put more detail into it, so its a little larger, but the rest of the model was scaled, then scaled down together, then fit onto the sheet for the snapshot.

Wasn't to bad actually though I'll tell ya I can't imagine something with more complex UV breakout. Are there any problems with the mesh itself?

I'm doing a high poly bust of my girl's head up next, I took pictures front and side to use as reference and others (back, couple of poly from different angles). I'll post that and future work back for review.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    well Doran was just saying if your texture will be symmetrical you know like a crazy scar on one side of the face you get more bang for your buck if you overlap your UV's because then your only fitting half of this stuff in one map and you only have to texture one arm instead of two. So if you unwrap before you mirror well your done that's it the UV's are stacked you got more resolution and you cut your work in half. and like I said the only down side is one side can't be unique but if you can find those parts that you want to be unique and unwrap them after the mirror then your on your way to becoming pro.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well Doran was just saying if your texture will be symmetrical you know like a crazy scar on one side of the face you get more bang for your buck if you overlap your UV's because then your only fitting half of this stuff in one map and you only have to texture one arm instead of two. So if you unwrap before you mirror well your done that's it the UV's are stacked you got more resolution and you cut your work in half. and like I said the only down side is one side can't be unique but if you can find those parts that you want to be unique and unwrap them after the mirror then your on your way to becoming pro.

And that's where my mistake was. I think after I copy/deleted and mirrored the geometry it put the symmetrical portions on top of each other, I undid that so I'll keep that in mind on my next model.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    You can still fix it easily, if you're willing to do redo UVmapping again.
    Simply delete half your model now. Remap it. Then mirrow your mesh, and put them back together.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I have to anyways for the next steps, I'll do it sometime this weekend and repost the UV. Thanks everyone.
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's where I'm at. Going to finish the shading sometime this afternoon.

1175626_10102088229662861_936577552_n.jpg