Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

help with lighting a subway scene

chilemang
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
chilemang polycounter lvl 9
hi guys im making a subway scene for my portfolio, im having a little trouble with the lighting, for right now i just have point lights set up where i have the lights in the scene, but not at every light, it seems a bit bland though, i want to try to get some dynamic contrast anyone have any tips or tutorials i can check out to help me with this?

Ap0VbEw.jpgDHsGkIz.jpgdsU5R3s.jpgIvu5pEm.jpgkpHZJcE.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    So first get reference on the kind of lighting you want. It can be concept art, pictures, a paint over, or another 3D scene. Something to work from instead of trying to create it from your head. Like any other aspect of art it is extremely important to work from some kind of reference.

Somebody posted a nice little mini tutorial on polycount from the work they did as a world builder at 38 Studios on Project Copernicus. I can't find it though, but try to search for it.
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright thanks that is what i am doing now actually i am going a grunge pass over as well as trying to use metro 2033 as a helping point
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your modeling is really basic, but your texturing is the biggest problem here.

A tip, if you are not experienced with it, dont limit yourself with tiny texture sizes.
    Use higher res textures, DO higher res textures. Edge highlighting is vital, drybrushing. Get Ambient occlusion running in your scene. Search some tutorials for light settings. Also uncolored lights look bad in nearly every case. Give them colors, be it blue, red or yellow tones or whatever.

If you take many lights, make sure only a couple cast shadows. Often is 1 or 2 enough. Also usually are compelemtary lights used. Orange >< Blue per example
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Somebody posted a nice little mini tutorial on polycount from the work they did as a world builder at 38 Studios on Project Copernicus. I can't find it though, but try to search for it.

Here's the link to my post:

http://jcricreate.blogspot.com/2013/03/tutorial-lighting-workflow-tips.html

I'll do a little critique for you tomorrow with a possible paint over, I'm on an iPad and kinda suck at typing. Brief critique would tell you to focus on mood and go from there. Contrast can be pushed as things seem a little washy and flat (the ambience in some areas is much too bright). Establishing key focal points and colors to drive the scene psychologically would help too.I'll get to a computer and give you a better rundown. If you're up for it, post your unlit and lighting only shots too so we can critique a little better.

-Jon
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks veery much guys, i was taught a few final gathering tips today in class as well as have changed to textures up a bit i will post some updates later on in the day
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    All the above is very usefull advice!

In my opinion,if you struggle to light the whole thing,start of with just a small part of it,like one small corner or passageway,or maybe just the railway and tunnel part.Start with a completely black scene and create one light that you tweak on colour values and strength/shape,once its to your liking,duplicate it and place it at similar spots(albeit with minor changes).This way you build your lighting up so the end result is balanced and lights are only placed where they are needed.

Keep it up!
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5FFW4GM.jpgok so i did a few updates with the lights what do you guys think? also im attaching my other scene i could use some feedback on the lighting there as well

ktH5m2Y.jpgF3Lpy5d.jpgXZqOXCJ.jpg