Home General Discussion

League of Legends gamer faces 8 years in jail for a facebook post

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    It was wrong to make that comment and it was even more wrong to sentence someone for words they "spoke."

This is nothing more than a complete violation of the Bill of Right's Freedom of Speech.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more, this country is fucked.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    It was wrong to make that comment and it was even more wrong to sentence someone for words they "spoke."

This is nothing more than a complete violation of the Bill of Right's Freedom of Speech.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more, this country is fucked.

Fucking terrorist.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    SuPa- wrote: »
    I don't know about other places, but this is the law in my state.

"2. Any person who communicates a threat, in a writing, including an electronically transmitted communication producing a visual or electronic message, to kill or do bodily harm, (i) on the grounds or premises of any elementary, middle or secondary school property, (ii) at any elementary, middle or secondary school-sponsored event or (iii) on a school bus to any person or persons, regardless of whether the person who is the object of the threat actually receives the threat, and the threat would place the person who is the object of the threat in reasonable apprehension of death or bodily harm, is guilty of a Class 6 felony."

And this is the punishment

"(f) For Class 6 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than five years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both."

Obviously it's a little different for where he lives, but he broke the law, there's no one to blame but his stupid self. Kid's don't realize the impact of things they post on Facebook.
    A crime like this is established through INTENT - notice the key word in that opening sentence, "threat" - that establishes an INTENT to do harm and differentiates it from idle talk no matter how outrageous it may seem.

If he slipped through the cracks and took his own life how would the woman who reported him feel?
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    better start locking up all the metal bands.......
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Lol, 'murica.
    Piss on the sidewalk or smoke weed = JAIL TIME.

Sweden isn't much better though. Here you can rape minors or kill people and only get like 3 years in prison. And that's not even an exaggeration.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popehat weighs in:

http://www.popehat.com/2013/07/11/the-first-amendment-protects-satire-and-rhetoric-lol-jk

For those not familiar, Popehat is a legal blog that specifically focuses on free speech and the defense of it.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Land of the free...dom of speech? Fucking country of fear mongering. A "serious" threat, should in my book, and the very, very most result in some contact from the police, and maybe some search through property. Actually robbing someone of their freedom, for saying something, is crossing a big, fat line into bat country.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what are the percentages of kids getting arrested like this, if it was a common everyday practice in the US this wouldn't be news would it?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    what are the percentages of kids getting arrested like this, if it was a common everyday practice in the US this wouldn't be news would it?

I'd say it's pretty low, but it still raises some valid questions about law enforcement tactics these days. The last vaguely similar incident I recall personally was the wanna-be rapper from Methuen.

However, when you see "news outlets" like CNN peddling this crap as actual news, it's almost easy to see why so many idiots think the way this case was handled is acceptable, or even appropriate. Of course, the way they focused on a case in the U.K. is a great distraction from the very real issues that are going on over here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found out about this recently:
    Mean World Syndrome

It explains a lot of things - the reason people overreacted to his posts, the way people online reacted to his arrest, the perception that America is a nation of fear and so-on.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I found out about this recently:
    Mean World Syndrome

It explains a lot of things - the reason people overreacted to his posts, the way people online reacted to his arrest, the perception that America is a nation of fear and so-on.

Except you're wrong about this syndrome making people think America is a nation of fear. They do not say this on news stations an TV, they say quite the opposite. Mass media continues to praise this country.

Understanding that the US is fucked up is a conclusion people come to when hearing about all the shit it's doing to its people.

Those kinds of things don't show up on TV.

When you see a country starting to imprison people for uncommitted crimes, you better understand you're in a tight spot.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Except you're wrong about this syndrome making people think America is a nation of fear. They do not say this on news stations an TV, they say quite the opposite. Mass media continues to praise this country.

That's an excellent point. Question anything, and you hate America and its "freedom." Throw in the almost unquestionable love of the military, and you end up with media that's 20 percent actual news and 80 percent jingoism.

In anticipation of the almost inevitable backlash against that last comment, I'd like to add that I am most definitely pro-troop, but vehemently anti-war. I have several dear friends who have served in the military on both sides of the Pond, and I respect their service greatly.

Obviously it's impossible to find any form of news that's completely free of bias, but just look at what the Republican party have managed to accomplish through its unofficial mouthpiece, Fox "News." Rampant fear, mistrust, disinformation, and flat-out lies, all packaged as "fact."

This country would fascinate me in the worst possible way if my life weren't directly affected by the decisions made by the corporate lobbyists who run D.C.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter is out. An anonymous benefactor gave his family the $500K to bail him out. I hope he recovers from this, but he still has to face a trial.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    According to Gamefront.com it was only 50k the anonymous benefactor gave.

http://www.gamefront.com/breaking-justin-carter-makes-bail/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously it's impossible to find any form of news that's completely free of bias, but just look at what the Republican party have managed to accomplish through its unofficial mouthpiece, Fox "News." Rampant fear, mistrust, disinformation, and flat-out lies, all packaged as "fact."
    It's interesting though. As effective as FOX and the Republicans appear to be with their tactics, they can't seem to win elections. Romney was a lapdog who would have done anything they asked of him and said anything to get elected, and he still couldn't do it. I wonder if the problem is that the majority of America IS sane and rational, but they stay quiet, ignore all the insane screeching, and just come out for elections.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Just learnt a 17 kid has been arrested here in France after threats on internet.
    Nothing really to compare, the guy made a post on a video game forum where he was detailing how his life was miserable and how he planned to end it and many other at school with an automatic rifle. Also he challenged the police to get him.
    The guy was faking, just wanted to see how far he could push it. He didnt show to the police, tho knowing he was wanted. They say it costed 1 million euros to securise the schools and get him. He risks 2 years of jail.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    @Noors
    That sounds more like a proper threat, with a motive and 'backstory'. In that case, he is a real dick and deserve whats coming to him. I would say it's different from this case, in what Francis Weighs said was just a joke response to something someone else said to him and the french dude was intending to make trouble. Guess the word is "intent", which certain authority people seem to have forgotten about.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    "Intent" is everything... without it we're all guilty.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah i agree. Here the guy has been left free under judicial control until his trial.
    That's just underlining the severity of treatment for the lol guy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Understanding that the US is fucked up is a conclusion people come to when hearing about all the shit it's doing to its people.

Those kinds of things don't show up on TV.

When you see a country starting to imprison people for uncommitted crimes, you better understand you're in a tight spot.

I barely watch TV so I don't really know that part - the internet is a bigger news source that leads to these fears and people tailor their news consumption to fit their views, that's even worse than FOX.

Look at the antibank chalk protester, the top search results are the possibility of him getting convicted, the fact that he was acquitted is a non-story it seams.

But maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'll have to tell everyone "look, maybe I'm wrong about Brazil, you just might get your head cut-off if you go there, it's a dangerous place"
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Well, he is out now tho... right? an anonymous person paid the $500,000 bail on the kid.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Well, he is out now tho... right? an anonymous person paid the $500,000 bail on the kid.

As far as I know.... The anonymous person paid a certain percentage down on the bail. If the kid ends up fleeing/skipping town/ or breaking any of the bail conditions then this anonymous person will be held accountable for the full amount and won't be getting back any of his/her money
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    reread the site, whoever it was payed the entire bond.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah so it was. My info was old & crossed out in that article

arshlevon wrote: »
    Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. When I was a teenager I would draw pictures of teachers I hated getting raped by demons with cocks the size of a Volkswagen projecting semen out of their nostrils, was caught several times and just got detention or saturday school. I knew kids that said things like They want to shoot that kid, or kill that person. Now they are doctors and superintendents, they grew up just fine despite having had the unfortunate experience of being a teenager. Teenagers are all pretty stupid, and on top of being so dumb their life sucks, but that's part of it, being dumb and making mistakes that you learn from and develop into a functioning adult. Sure there are school shootings and crazy assholes, but that is every country everywhere in the world, a kid talking shit on facebook is nothing to even bat an eyelash about, I didn't even find what he said very offensive. what year was it when the world collectively got so much sand poured into their vaginas?

Nice..and to be honest.. that's a very creative outlet & possibly something you'd get paid to airbrush on some bikers' gas tank nowadays.

Teenagers say stupid shit all the time. If he gets convicted,it would simply instigate and perpetuate him down that path faster. In 8 years, he'll likely have made more criminal connections inside than he would ever had a chance on the outside.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Though, just to add, even adults say lots of stupid things, not just teens....
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no kidding..

I remember in high-school, I use to draw these zombie people getting blown away or dismembered by shotguns. really gory stuff right. I was a big zombie nerd and I still enjoy putting gory stuff into my animations from time to time, likely in my next anim I'll have a samurai hacking up security. But now that I think about it, If anyone had put a name of a teacher or adult above the those drawings. Along with todays hysteria & overreactions. man.... I don't think I'd be anywhere close to having the same opportunities or chances that I"m fortunate enough to have today
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think people are really catching on that the U.S. is always reverts to fascism when convenient.

I think 'reverts' is a bit inaccurate. I would describe the United States as a modernised totalitarian regime. Political corruption exists, but it's enshrined institutionally - it's entirely possible, and legal, to buy a politician. Both significant political parties operate from the perspective of the political far right (amusingly, with those slightly less right being branded as 'liberals', despite being nothing of the sort!). Official ideology has been taken to the level of proper ideocracy over the past couple of decades with the 'War on X' (Drugs, Terror, whatever). The private sphere of a citizen has declined to the point of almost non-existance.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    It's a fucked up society... that's all I got to say. We're all slowly coming to the realization that we're living in a fucking totalitarianism.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    how to fix

1. Invade canada
    2. ship canadians to mexico
    3. Set america on fire *mother nature may do this for us*
    4. Keep mexidians out of new country with "FIRE WALL"
    5. Success!!

optional-
    6. Tell alaska it can be part of new country because its silly its part of america being so far north
    7. make honey boo boo the national language

oh and they should let the kid go.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Im sure glad i live in Canada :P even though stuff like that can also happen up here.
  • HodgePodgeNine
    What he said was really idiotic and frankly quite disturbing (considering events in the past year), but he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined for it. He's an idiot for saying it, but he'll forever be a criminal for saying it. For something that small, it's just not necessary
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    how to fix

1. Invade canada
    2. ship canadians to mexico
    3. Set america on fire *mother nature may do this for us*
    4. Keep mexidians out of new country with "FIRE WALL"
    5. Success!!

optional-
    6. Tell alaska it can be part of new country because its silly its part of america being so far north
    7. make honey boo boo the national language

oh and they should let the kid go.

Pretty sure that was an episode of Sliders