Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Sniper (TF2 Mod project)

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys!
I did make a thread already in the TF2 section, but I wasn't getting very much feedback there. So I am hoping you guys can help me out. I haven't modeled too many characters, so this is a little bit of an unfamiliar area for me.
I am using Makani's drawings as reference (with permission of course):

FemSniperMakani_Ref_zps3147fb12.jpg

And here's the latest update.

Model_help_zps75a1487f.jpg

formakani_femsniper_roxypox_zps10890579.jpg

Model_help1_zpsf4198593.jpg

And here's a little "Meet the Team" video me and a few others made in SFM for her:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMmCsHxEAc[/ame]

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good! I'd probably make the jaw not as sharp, but that could be a stylistic thing?

As far as modelling for deformation have a look at this, it may help.

wiki.polycount.com/LimbTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Looking good! I'd probably make the jaw not as sharp, but that could be a stylistic thing?

As far as modelling for deformation have a look at this, it may help.

wiki.polycount.com/LimbTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29

Oooh Thank you! I love the polycount wiki. I need to hang out there more. Will work on that!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time! Started getting the texture in hoping it would help me a bit with modeling her face. The texture is no where near finished yet but it's a start. Still figuring out how certain parts of her clothing are going to work. Let me know what you guys think:

Model_help_zpsaf1002e6.jpg

Model_help1_zpsf36ff0b6.jpg

femsniperbody_diffuse_zps77c0470a.jpg

femsniperface_diffuse_zpscaf0a51e.jpg

femsniperteeth_diffuse_zpsea20f79a.jpg

One thing that I am worried about with the textures is what needs to be a different material ID and what doesn't. On the Valve Developer wiki, I think it said eyes and teeth definitely need to have different shaders. And I would assume that Sniper's glasses would need it as well.
    Have any of you guys gone through this process before?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    That came out really well!

Sorry i can't help with your shader problem.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    i like this but my crit would be widen out the stomach as its a bit to thin for the rest of the body
  • YummyBacon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When do you think will this be up and running? I mean this is lovely work right here!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YummyBacon wrote: »
    When do you think will this be up and running? I mean this is lovely work right here!

Thanks! And good question. My day job has been keeping me busy (yaaay money for loans), so progress has been a little slow.
    Hoping to start rigging her next week, and then I need to compile her for Source and get the faceposing done. Then of course I need to work on fixing any bugs that come up. So I am aiming for the end of July to have her finished at the latest.
    @This_Is_Icarus Yup. Totally see that now. Will fix that!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    seems like you can optimize your UVs better, especially if its gonna be a working character in a game. Trust me, theres a difference between a portfolio piece and an actual working piece, hehe. Good stuff tho, I LOVE the face and the personality that hte head shape brings. THe the waist-to-hip could be better but overall its a nice design.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Roxanne! This looks awesome! I have a couple suggestions - her eyes look kindof unnaturally large, so I would shrink them a bit. Her jaw also looks too thin, even for stylized, as well as the bridge of the nose. She has a great profile though ;)

Also this is really nitpicky but it's kinda bugging me - the shirt hangs really low at her armpits so it makes it seem like she has flabby skin there or something, which would be strange since the rest of her is so thin haha. Keep it up I can't wait to see the texture finished :]
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 wrote: »
    seems like you can optimize your UVs better, especially if its gonna be a working character in a game. Trust me, theres a difference between a portfolio piece and an actual working piece, hehe. Good stuff tho, I LOVE the face and the personality that hte head shape brings. THe the waist-to-hip could be better but overall its a nice design.

Yeah, the uvs have been a bit of a puzzle. :T See, I'm trying to set them up like the original model just to keep consistent, but... the files I have are a bit confusing. I think I have the textures for both the player model and the hwm model used for Source Filmmaker, but I am not sure...
    Here are Sniper's original diffuse textures:

sniper_red_zps7f620b1e.jpg

sniper_head_zpsa0f3c76f.jpg

So there's the 1024x512 one for the body, but then there's the 1024x1024 texture dedicated to the head. My guess is that the 1024x512 texture is for the player model used in game. And how does the 1024x512 work? I've only used square textures, so I don't even know how a 1024x512 is set up.
    My goal is to create the hwm model first for Source Filmmaker, then create the player model for the mod. With that in mind, do you think I am setting up the texture correctly?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Definitely agree with Jess on this, looks cool but could be improved further with those points :)
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Roxanne! This looks awesome! I have a couple suggestions - her eyes look kindof unnaturally large, so I would shrink them a bit. Her jaw also looks too thin, even for stylized, as well as the bridge of the nose. She has a great profile though ;)

Also this is really nitpicky but it's kinda bugging me - the shirt hangs really low at her armpits so it makes it seem like she has flabby skin there or something, which would be strange since the rest of her is so thin haha. Keep it up I can't wait to see the texture finished :]

Thanks for nice crit Jessica! :D Worked on what you suggested for the face. Shrinking the eyes down seemed to help a lot. I've been having a lot of trouble with her face so I appreciate the help!

Model_help1_zpsf53c94a6.jpg

Also, got rid of the flabby grandma armpits:

Model_help_zps8316abd7.jpg

Going to keep plugging away at it!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would personally change the cloth on the upper arm so that it puffs out on the inside instead of the outside.

right now the overall curve of the arms seems somewhat bowed outward at the elbow, which looks "wrong". puffing them inward would help flatten the outer silhouette.

good job though, i really like this!
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    I did a little paintover for her face because personally I really like the way she looks in the concept. Not sure whether I captured the likeness exactly but I tried.

femsniper.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth wrote: »
    I did a little paintover for her face because personally I really like the way she looks in the concept. Not sure whether I captured the likeness exactly but I tried.

femsniper.jpg

This definitely feels more like TF2's style than what I have right now. I was having trouble getting the "caricature" features in there. Thank you so much for the paint-over! This is really going to help!
    Makani, the concept artist, sent me this paint-over for the profile when the model was in its early stages, so that's what I have been following:

tumblr_mnwweq6XBQ1rye1uno2_r1_500.jpg

But since it's only the profile, I've had a little trouble with the front view.
    Alrighty! Time to rework that face! Be back soon!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, per Hellmouth's suggestions, I re-did the face. I am definitely liking this version more, but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Model_help1_zps16d4b660.jpg

Also started messing around with the shape of her glasses. Still trying to find a style that fits her face well.

Model_help_zps4e117bb7.jpg
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!
    So I have been getting some feedback from the TF2 community, and I ended up trying out Fem Sniper with her midsection bare, as it was in the original sketches. The only reason I didn't have it bare before was because I thought such a big section of flesh-tone might break up the design. I ended up liking this version with her midsection bare better, but I'd love to hear what you guys think:

Model_help_zps75a1487f.jpg

formakani_femsniper_roxypox_zps10890579.jpg

Of course, still working on the texture. I'm going to hop into Zbrush soon to sculpt out some cloth folds for the normal map.
    Also worked on her face a tad:

Model_help1_zpsf4198593.jpg
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Really good work, nice job!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL32wPtA7EE"]G'day - YouTube[/ame]
    Here's a little teaser trailer I made in SFM. :)
    So the model is finished for now. I ended up getting help from a programmer buddy on Steam to get her functioning in Source. I tried myself and ended up breaking Maya, SFM, and Steam all together (which is quite embarrassing since I'm supposed to be studying tech art. Perhaps this is a sign. XD)
    We might end up updating the model in the future, because I know I'd like to at least have another go at the mouth geometry. It ended up working okay, but not as good as I would like it to be.
    My programmer buddy is finishing up a few bug fixes, so we should be able to release her soon.
    I'll keep you guys posted!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    between 0.04 and 0.05 you can see some triangles that need turning in the jawline to make it smoother.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    between 0.04 and 0.05 you can see some triangles that need turning in the jawline to make it smoother.

Ah yes I see what you mean. I'll try to fix that in an update if I can. I'm going to be creating a few more models in the next couple of months so I'll watch out for that a little more carefully.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! We have released a beta version of the model on the Gmod Steam Workshop. The TF2 and the Source Filmmaker Version is included. You can find the model here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183746953
    The model is still in beta because the voice actress and I are finishing the soundpack. Maxxy is also fixing various bugs and whatnot.
    We wanted to release the model in time for the TF2 Saxxy Awards, just in case people wanted to use her. :)
    It's been fun seeing all the SFM posters people have made so far. It also reminds me of all the stuff I want to change on the model. XD
    This certainly was a learning process, so thanks again for all your help guys. I plan on creating some more fem models for TF2, and I'll be sure to post them here!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    HAH!

i love it!
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As an Australian myself, I am offended. Greatly. :)

Jokes, great work, mate. Really top-notch stuff: if I hadn't known better, I would have thought Source made it.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An offended Australian. That actually sounds terrifying. XD
    Thank you! So glad you guys like it!
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that's missing is the beer, and that's a shame.....oh, and tone down that accent! It's nowhere near that thick any more!

By the way, is there a 'Meet the Fem Spy?' video by you guys?
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that's missing is the beer, and that's a shame.....

By the way, is there a 'Meet the Fem Spy?' video by you guys?

There's a crushed beer can on the title page if you look closely. XD

I have not made any other "Meet the Team" shorts for the lady mercs yet. It's hard getting functioning custom models for SFM. ChemicalAlia made some great female tf2 models a while back, but they weren't created for SFM. So there are rigging and faceposing problems, which makes it hard to create good close-up acting shots.
    I do plan on creating a whole set of Makani's fem classes, so even if I can't find someone to help with with ChemicalAlia's models (she doesn't have access to the original files at the moment), at least I'll have my own models to work with. It's just going to take me some time.