Home General Discussion

League of Legends gamer faces 8 years in jail for a facebook post

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Well now he's likely gonna carry out his future threats when released. It's not a very logical consequence when it obviously came from a pale gamer on a computer. A fine would deter threats realisticly when it comes to digital text communication imo
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Well, he seems like a douche for saying those things in the first place but I certainly don't think he deserved to be arrested, just another example of how people who don't get it want to brand games as the devil. Kinda reminds me of when the London riots kicked off and people were going on about how games like GTA would only incite riots, one guy saying "Oh back in my day, we had games like Scrabble and none of this Grand Theft Auto Malarkey"

Agreed on the 'fine' idea, definitely more of an appropriate penalty.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    People who put him in jail must be seriously mental. Especially that even if you treat it seriously you should analyze him psychologically and help him.

'murica I guess... How can you put some one in jail because of distasteful joke... ?

It's fucked up on so many levels...
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The worse thing is people who says that he shouldn't have said it in the first place. No, the problem is that it shouldn't be that big of an issue to say that in the first place, the overreaction is just insane. It's like the litte kid that got banned from school from make a bread gun and go pew pew....it's fucked.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Makes complete sense since everyone knows serial killer psychos always make their plans known on Facebook before they act.
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    You should see the amount of Russians standing in line to threaten to rape my mom while I play dota.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    what did he actually say ?

and i guess this isnt about him threatening someone during smacktalk in game, but actually posting it on facebook....kind of like calling someone up after work and threatening them...or sending a letter?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I shall be careful with my nazi jokes, now that we know NSA is spying Europe. Patriot act baby !
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know about other places, but this is the law in my state.

"2. Any person who communicates a threat, in a writing, including an electronically transmitted communication producing a visual or electronic message, to kill or do bodily harm, (i) on the grounds or premises of any elementary, middle or secondary school property, (ii) at any elementary, middle or secondary school-sponsored event or (iii) on a school bus to any person or persons, regardless of whether the person who is the object of the threat actually receives the threat, and the threat would place the person who is the object of the threat in reasonable apprehension of death or bodily harm, is guilty of a Class 6 felony."

And this is the punishment

"(f) For Class 6 felonies, a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than five years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both."

Obviously it's a little different for where he lives, but he broke the law, there's no one to blame but his stupid self. Kid's don't realize the impact of things they post on Facebook.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If law allows people to put in jail kid who posts dumb jokes then the law sucks.

If he broke the law they should check the situation and act accordingly. Putting kid in jail and destroying him mentally isn't accordingly.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because he breaks 'the law' doesn't make it right, that's one of the worse and daft things to say. Seriously, what wrong with people, what happened to common sense, that it had to be replaced with "that's what they tell me, so I don't need to think and make decisions'-mindsets.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is absolutely ridiculous...

Hes 18 years old, he made a stupid distasteful joke, and he shouldn't have said that...but really, does anybody with common sense think that what he said was "a terrorist threat?" Just sounds like a dumb teenager to me...he should definitely be in serious trouble for what he said, but hes facing 8 years in prison.

I definitely think the person that reported him did the right thing...that sort of talk should not be tolerated...but ffs, hes going to be looking at prison time that isn't that much less than what people serve for actually committing violent crimes.

Our "justice" system baffles me sometimes.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I kind of hope that they've done some due diligence to see if this kid was actually a threat before just arresting him. However, people need to put this into some perspective. The "threats" were put online about 2 months after the Sandy Hook shooting where a guy similar in age killed 26 people; 20 of them children at an elementary school.

Lets imagine for a moment this had happened though. If it weren't a tasteless joke. People would go absolutely mental if he had said this on Facebook and then actually done it. Don't forget this story or this one where the shooter announced or otherwise told someone of their plan before carrying it out.

It's a joke because it didn't happen but people reading it online may not know intent. I'm not saying that what happened is right by any means, but the reason they jump on people for this shit is because they don't want another situation like what has happened in the past.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Well, this is what we expect coming from The Country of Fear.

If we could read the minds of all people... 90% of the global population would be jailed lol
  • agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    you guys all make some pretty valid points, however I think this was a little bit too excessive. Couldn't they just watch over him or at least perform a psych evaluation?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    agk3d wrote: »
    you guys all make some pretty valid points, however I think this was a little bit too excessive. Couldn't they just watch over him or at least perform a psych evaluation?

I completely agree that it feels excessive. But on that point, how do you know they haven't? The articles doesn't give a whole lot of information regarding the police investigation. Maybe they found evidence that he was a threat or maybe they're jumping to conclusions. I honestly, really hope that this is a huge mistake/misunderstanding and that kid could get out of a shitty situation.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    psych evaluation ? seriously ? for every dumb shit people say ?
    he even said jk at the end

we`re talking here about 8 years of prison which will destroy the rest of his life
    or at least heavily impact it
    for what ? a dumb joke ?

any judge ruling this kind of shit needs to be put into a mental institution or prison for beeing an immorale asshole
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in texas you get 10 years for stealing a slice of bread so yeah i think this 19 year old knew the consequences.

this was also 5 months ago meaning it was even closer to sandy hook and BEFORE the boston bombings.

all i know is that if it was my dad - he definitely wouldnt be calling for help. I can hear him now, "keep him"

laws are laws people, he definitely broke them and texas will bring the heat
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Let that little shit rot in jail. Who are you to judge what is a "joke" and what is a threat? Would you want someone who makes real threats to get a commuted sentence just because this case sets a precedence? Half of Gitmo could say they were "jk" and before you know know it there are more attacks and more innocent people die. Actions have consequences, deal with them.

This is what he said, "Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,” followed by “lol” and “jk”. "

http://kotaku.com/league-of-legends-player-jailed-after-terrorist-threat-610691101

I mean seriously, do you people really want to see another Sandy Hook Elementary or have you forgotten about it?
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Well, this is what we expect coming from The Country of Fear.

If we could read the minds of all people... 90% of the global population would be jailed lol

The difference is 90% of the world's people are not so fucking stupid that they would post a joke/threat on social media.

If this kid had acted out, the same mental midgets that are screaming for him to be released would be the same people screaming that the police didn't stop him even though they knew he was a threat.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Agree with Praetus and VelvetElvis.

AFAIK this is what it looks like when they nab someone BEFORE they shoot up a school and kill themselves. How 100% certain are you this was a joke? If they caught the Sandy Hook guy beforehand, I bet he'd be saying the same thing.

And then he's on SUICIDE watch now? Shouldn't that be taken as a sign of his mental stability?

In the US, I thought terrorists are always treated as 'guilty before proven innocent'.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    curzed wrote: »
    in texas you get 10 years for stealing a slice of bread so yeah i think this 19 year old knew the consequences.

this was also 5 months ago meaning it was even closer to sandy hook and BEFORE the boston bombings.

all i know is that if it was my dad - he definitely wouldnt be calling for help. I can hear him now, "keep him"

laws are laws people, he definitely broke them and texas will bring the heat

To be honest, if it was your son that was faced with this stuff I think you'd be saying something completely different.

Its already been established that he 'broke the law' (even though the severity of the accusation is laughable,) the problem for a lot of people is the sentence is way over the top.
  • agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    We understand there are consequences to his appauling actions, but 8 years is quite an excessive term. Most criminals commit worst astrocities then that and are dealt with more leniency.

You could physically assault someone and your sentence would be lower then that.

Reading some of the comments in that article does have some weighting. He voiced his thoughts, but didn't act on his emotions. So you people in Texas lock up people based on empty threats?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I gave reason for his arrest, not his sentence. That hasn't been decided yet as far as I know. Eight years is a possible sentence he'll get, and I doubt that will happen. From what I've just read on Texas law, he could get anywhere from two to ten years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. That's for a third class felony, which I think is what he falls under. This is assuming that he will indeed be convicted of a third class felony. The court may decide that he face different charges.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8 years is ridiculous. Excessive and ridiculous. How many 18 year olds are fully versed in the law and completely understand the consequences of their actions? Come on.
    And then he's on SUICIDE watch now? Shouldn't that be taken as a sign of his mental stability?
    He's on suicide watch because he's not having what you might call a "good time" in prison. He takes regular beatings, broken bones, and he's been in isolation 4 times now (for his protection, reportedly). His Dad was on the radio the other day crying and relating the story. The kid made a comment on Facebook and now this family has a gaping hole through its soul and this kid's life is effectively over because of our justice system.

And people are saying, "Good". I don't have the words.
  • Dylan Brady
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It shouldn't even be a crime, and it should never have warranted any more action from authorities than a warning unless there was any actual belief this would amount to anything - there's something very wrong with both the law and the justice system.
    Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts

lol jk

That's it. That's apparently enough to warrant an arrest, imprisonment and a potential 8 year sentence? It's not a genuine threat, it's not any kind of hate speech, it's not libel (hell, it's not even anti-government) - it's just distasteful, nothing more, nothing less.

If you have to live in fear of accidentally making any kind of remark that may be considered like that by someone in earshot, then you should really consider the society you're living in and whether you should want to remain a part of it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    you can say anything as long as you put lol jk at the end.

it's a get-out-of-jail-free card. oh wait...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That video covers it all. If you can still crack jokes and one-liners after that, you should take some time and do some inner reflection and thinking.

The scariest element of this is it shatters the whole, "It won't happen to me". It can. And it can happen over something as simple as an off handed comment during an online game. That should scare you. It scares me.

This kid has getting beaten and harassed in prison where he's been since February, and faces another 8 years of that shit. He's depressed and has basically lost all hope. He's looking at being in prison until his late twenties - over a stupid, offensive joke.

Ugh.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much money has anyone saying this is an injustice contributed to his bail fund to get him out of there? Has anyone even set up a bail fund?

It's only 500k. You below average big titty magic elf games get more than that on Kickstarter. George Zimmerman got millions for his defense fund.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much money has anyone saying this is an injustice contributed to his bail fund to get him out of there? Has anyone even set up a bail fund?

It's only 500k. You below average big titty magic elf games get more than that on Kickstarter. George Zimmerman got millions for his defense fund.
    Even if this was a reasonable position to take, which it isn't, what does that accomplish? So he gets out. He's still going to prison once sentencing is passed.

For 8 years. 8.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Pretty good way of making him the psycho he wasn't in the first place.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so... first amendment means what?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    No one deserves to be in prison for any random crap they say (even more so if it's said during a video game or followed up but lol jk) they may need to be placed under arrest and undergo investigation and a psych evaluation, but obviously if there is no threat or evidence of an actual "terrorist" attack, the person should be completely rid of all charges and apologized to. In video games people frequently blow up buildings and cause acts of terrorism, but that's okay, it's fine to even joke about it, or right stories about it, because of our first amendment rights, even if they joke is in bad taste. Should artists on polycount be under arrest and investigation for modeling terrorists, guns, and bombs?

All he said was

Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts

lol jk

No one deserves jail for a joke in bad taste. There was no planning or actual evidence that he planed to commit any act of terrorism. It was obviously a joke because of the eating hearts line, even without the lol jk. Should he get a psychological evaluation? Maybe. Jail, No.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so... first amendment means what?

It means don't post stupid shit on Facebook where Canadian do-gooder moms can see it and turn you into the Texas authorities.

Freedom of speech generally doesn't protect against threats. Similar to how the 1st doesn't protect you from yelling "Fire" in a crowded place. You can however say all the hate filled things you want in public (Westboro Baptist Church anyone), just don't actually threaten anyone or any action.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Holy crap, I can't believe some of you peeps are saying this crap, that there should be a fine and that he deserved it to a certain extent? Are you guys daft and missing the point or something? Has art rotted YOUR brains?
    Did you guys read the article? They investigated him and came up with zero reasons to even slap him on the hands other then a stern PC comment, but some mental person behind the system decided to make sure the kid gets a HALF A MILLION BAILOUT price tag and goes to prison for 10 years as of the latest news.

AFTER THE BLOODY INVESTIGATION HAPPENED, THEY STILL PUT ALL THE PENALTIES THEY COULD ON HIM! Are you peeps blind, that's the entire issue, he was proven to be innocent and still is on the verge of his life being ruined.
    It's the equivalent of putting a black guy in jail because he wears a hoodie at night, pale gamer in basement playing action oriented game = redneck school shooter now? C'mon now.

This isn't some case of someone stealing a piece of expensive item and camera's recording them in the act, this isn't some guy who said "I will blow up schools" on 4Chan and an investigation shows they had a garage full of guns, it's a case of a kid making a crass joke on crass game full of crass people.

If you guys honestly think for a moment, that this case making all the way to prison time, court time, tax time, etc, even had the right to reach there on this level, then I have to question the sanity of some people, let alone the fact that 10 years is plenty of time to turn this kid into hardened monster when he gets out, at that point, what is the debate here?
    If disgruntled people in France, when they get fired, take their bosses hostage, how do you think a person losing half of this life should feel or do once they get out? Don't forget the US system is hardly fair to people to get out of jail, at that point, he might as well sue them for a life worth of money, which comes out of peoples Taxes, hence more burden on the state from there on.

It's a stupid lose lose situation for everyone, all because of a joke, that even after a investigation proved this guy only had a loud mouth.

Also, for all the nice straw man arguments some of you made, I need to remind you every person who did any kind of killing never claimed it openly with anyone, those people remain silent for a reason, it's psychology 101.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It means don't post stupid shit on Facebook where Canadian do-gooder moms can see it and turn you into the Texas authorities.

It wasn't a threat, and it wasn't on facebook, it was on League Of Legends.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Agree with Praetus and VelvetElvis.

AFAIK this is what it looks like when they nab someone BEFORE they shoot up a school and kill themselves. How 100% certain are you this was a joke? If they caught the Sandy Hook guy beforehand, I bet he'd be saying the same thing.
    Th

In the US, I thought terrorists are always treated as 'guilty before proven innocent'.

Then you don't know very much. Which makes you quite dangerous to hold an an ignorant position on this. The types you mention in comparison don't usually make public comments about their intent. Let alone make stupid jokes.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Welcome to America, where everything is terrifying.
    suspicious-flashlight.png

I want to move to Canada.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to travel to the US with a suitcase filled with ordinary kitchen items and start dropping them randomly everywhere and get sent to prison as the terrorist of the century...my...fucking...god...

Better put me in the slammer, because I already said this before but now I really want to say it again: Better nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure...There, terrorist thread....
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Welcome to America, where everything is terrifying.
    suspicious-flashlight.png

I want to move to Canada.

The Canadians turned this kid in. Try another country.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    It wasn't a threat, and it wasn't on facebook, it was on League Of Legends.

Your source?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/01/was-a-league-of-legends-player-arrested-for-trolling-not-exactly.aspx

"Normally this wouldn't be the kind of story we run, but given the misconception that Carter's comments were made within a game and that League of Legends had anything to do with this, we felt compelled to dispel the inaccurate information. According to lieutenant Wells, the comments were left on the Facebook page of someone unknown to Carter. Especially following the recent school tragedies, authorities are taking these matters very seriously."
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everybody who says he should rot in jail must be 12 years old...

If the only reaction you can make against TEENAGER who talks shit in the internet is to put him in jail you are stupid and you have fucked up values. His family and him are being destroyed by people too stupid to use their brains. Too afraid to think for yourself.

If you really think he deserves this you suck, you really really suck.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Some people in this thread are jumping to drastic conclusions, giving out false information, and typing up biased, nonsensical opinions that really don't matter at all. Also, people bringing up whether he would actually follow through with his threat or not has no relevance whatsoever to the case or in justification to his arrest. Nor does it determine in anyway whether he is innocent or not.

Texas Penal Code as applied to this case:

Terroristic Threat:
    (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to
    (5) place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury
    (e) An offense under Subsection (a)(4), (a)(5), or (a)(6) is a felony of the third degree.

(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.
    (b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

Assault:
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
    (2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury
    (c) An offense under Subsection (a)(2) or (3) is a Class C misdemeanor

An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.

Harassment:
    (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass another, he:
    (1) initiates communication by telephone, in writing, or by electronic communication and in the course of the communication makes a comment, request, suggestion, or proposal that is obscene;
    (2) threatens, by telephone, in writing, or by electronic communication, in a manner reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the threat, to inflict bodily injury on the person or to commit a felony against the person, a member of his family or household, or his property;
    (c) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

An individual adjudged guilty of a Class B misdemeanor shall be punished by:
    (1) a fine not to exceed $2,000;
    (2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed 180 days; or
    (3) both such fine and confinement.

That is the law, and the law abides. Ignorance of the law does not grant immunity to it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How does it qualify as a threat when it was a facetiousness joke? There was no intent.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The Canadians turned this kid in. Try another country.

Okay, Australia?

oh wait, nevermind.

I guess we do have it pretty good here, but I'll try to avoid moving to TX.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is the law, and the law abides. Ignorance of the law does not grant immunity to it.
    Saying, "Welp, it's the law! Enjoy your prison time!" is SUPER fucking weak.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    No, actually, it's not "weak." It's correct. Have I said anything about what his sentencing should be? I'm only justifying his arrest. For all we know, he could just be given a Class C misdemeanor or the minimum sentence of a 3rd Degree Felony, or even potentially the minimum sentence of a 4th Degree Felony. For all we know he could be found innocent.

Also, intent doesn't matter. It's a threat and threats don't require actual intent. There's nothing within those sections of the law about jokingly committing mass murder, sorry.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    SuPa- wrote: »
    Also, intent doesn't matter. It's a threat and threats don't require actual intent. There's nothing within those sections of the law about jokingly committing mass murder, sorry.

Intent does matter, it's in the penal code.

"with intent to place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear"
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But he should be released as innocent long time ago. But law is the law. It takes time... time which will destroy his life. But it's THE LAW.