Home General Discussion

Do devs feel gratified from CG trailers and bullshots?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Don't get me wrong. I think there can be a place for pre-rendered videos in gaming. But what I find annoying is when a game is first revealed and the footage shown is completely CG.

The problem with opening with CG is that it oversells the product, or gives it an expectation that the game will almost never live up to.

Now, I was watching this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FK8dgzW0o8"]trailer[/ame] for an upcoming PS4 game and while it's not gameplay, in the back of my head if I was developer for that game I would feel a sense of pride. I'd rather let people know that what looks impossible is actually possible to do. Especially since this is a next generation console where people are expecting it to perform better than last gen (PS3/360).

The same feeling applies to "bullshots". I don't see the need to touch up images with absurd amounts of anti-aliasing or down-sampling it from a really high resolution if it's not already there. People will eventually see the game for themselves and recognize immediately if posted press shots are indeed real or fake.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Often a trailer and bullshots are created to sell a project to the publisher. This happens before the game engine architecture and art pipeline are ready to use. So it's easier and quicker to render CGI scenes.

Besides making the funding possible, a trailer also gives the team an idea of what they're collectively shooting for.

Incidentally, they can be used by the publisher as early marketing pieces. The game doesn't exist at this point, it's all buggy and ugly. So only CGI can represent what the EP/AD/CD thinks it will look like.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    yes. It looks awesome and gets me stoked
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like to think of early bullshots as an artistic prototype, this is what they want visually for the game, though it might not all be achievable. Bullshots right before release are very deceptive though and shiould be looked down upon. Aliens Colonial Marines is a good recent example, I'm sure all of the staff fully intended to make the game as close to the early gameplay videos they released. I don't have any issues with the bullgameplay footage, but the main problem with the release of the game was the review embargos. They were basically hiding the fact the game wasn't at the levels they presented in the early gameplay footage. It's not the fault of who made the footage, or that the footage exists. It was the fault of who ever was covering up the poor quality of the final product right up until release.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    What I find most annoying is when a pre-rendered announcement trailer falsely advertises gameplay. When, for example, a game is portrayed to be very "open world" and dynamic when the real product is much more bland and linear. I don't mind if the graphical quality is tuned up to hell and back, but I would however like the gameplay to be shown as accurately as possible, as that is what is most important for me.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of the time the game is up and running by the time we're contracted for a CG trailer. However we are nowadays asked to do stuff that's not really possible in engine for some reason - extreme close-ups, effects, lighting, scene complexity, and so on. Also, games are still quite behind in dynamics simulations for hair, cloth and such.

It's also not quick or easy at all to do neither content nor animation or rendering. And again, nowadays a game takes so long to develop that it's usually close to alpha by the time it gets announced with the trailer.

And there's a lot of attention payed to gameplay features vs. CGI content, too.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    No. I really dont care that much. Its a business. If doing it one way or another generates buzz which leads to money then that means they will hire more workers.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    JordanN wrote: »
    I don't see the need to touch up images with absurd amounts of anti-aliasing or down-sampling it from a really high resolution if it's not already there. People will eventually see the game for themselves and recognize immediately if posted press shots are indeed real or fake.

Im not sure bullshots are totally bad...maybe it just depends how much bull is in there and the motivation behind the bullshots. Look at the apple or google play app Stores for instance, on the app stores people often judge your game by screenshots alone! so Im not surprised if theres a little bit of bullshot going on in those images as they are core marketing material even though they are meant to be screenshots of the app.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    vargatom wrote: »
    Most of the time the game is up and running by the time we're contracted for a CG trailer. However we are nowadays asked to do stuff that's not really possible in engine for some reason - extreme close-ups, effects, lighting, scene complexity, and so on. Also, games are still quite behind in dynamics simulations for hair, cloth and such.

It's also not quick or easy at all to do neither content nor animation or rendering. And again, nowadays a game takes so long to develop that it's usually close to alpha by the time it gets announced with the trailer.

And there's a lot of attention payed to gameplay features vs. CGI content, too.

Aside from the Trailer showing a visual style that is nothing like the game, i think it's a lot more annoying if the trailer is showing stuff that the game won't deliever on. Like Knight of the Old Republic (the MMORPG). Trailer and actual game differed vastly in how battles felt like.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive never seen an mmo trailer that shows characters blindly flailing thier weapon straight through enemies with no collision detection while numbers float in the air. Thats how I feel when I play most mmos but the trailers always look awesome :P
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I hope to see the day when they don't need to use cgs XD. With too many games, they only produce too much hype, and then, the game is not that great but a bad one.

A shameless thing is what some devs do with their ingame screens with such evident post-productions and fake effects that are not in game. Promises..

Anyways, i love to see cool cgs with scanned guys :P
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    dont really care. the more it sells, the better my chances of a phat bonus.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    JordanN wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. I think there can be a place for pre-rendered videos in gaming. But what I find annoying is when a game is first revealed and the footage shown is completely CG.

dunno but I really like CG trailer,
    good cg trailer compliment to the game itself. like starcraft trailer. or batman arkham city trailer.
    I also don't mind live action.
    maybe my eyes has been trained/tolerate enough not to think that they are trying to deceive me.

or perhaps Im coming from ps one era where I never compare CG to gameplay.

I don't get some people thinking all promotional d
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    All the cg stuff for Halo 4/Spartan ops were amazing i loved every single second of it, plus i bet they were awesome for marketing and promotions. games like halo and the batman games you kinda know what your getting with them so have something really nice to show is awesome.

but as a person looking to purchase a game id rather see actual gameplay too :P that 12-minute destiny trailer is amazing.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    I don't mind. As long as its not falsely advertised as CGI and it clearly looks CGI instead of actual game play, I'm fine with it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They can do whatever they want, I don't care. As long as I get to test a Demo later on, that's all I care, or see an Impression video on YT.

Honestly however, most of the time I noticed games that try and bullshot 'fully', kinda like the Dead Island videos, they always come out the most mediocre of the bunch, those would have to be the ones to be wary of, at least WoW videos show you what your adventure is going to entail.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    There is no such thing as bullshots if you're part of the pc master race :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The Mirrors Edge trailer was all in-engine. No pre-rendered CG at all. That is pretty cool :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I never, ever watch trailers for games that are all CG. Makes me feel like the game is going to be trash every time. :S
    but we all know its going to play nothing like that. D:

But... but... there's so many good trailers...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbeoSPqRs4"]StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD8A8qj0rxs"]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Intro Cinematic Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYnQO4h6roE"]SPOILER! Diablo III - ACT III Intro Cinematic - YouTube[/ame]
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    let me add some :p

deus ex ( square enix cinematic team)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc"]Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Cinematic Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

star craft 2 ( made by internal blizzard cinematic team)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hROzz6yD_a8"]StarCraft II Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

batman arkham city ( blur studio)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCtJsy-d9w"]Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

i really hope too all will be in game engime in the future,
    but cinematic need some serious talents, who know good cinematic , camera works, etc that actually make great impact in 1-3 minute debut teaser video.
    it is different for game developer even for experienced game artist.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Ged wrote: »
    Ive never seen an mmo trailer that shows characters blindly flailing thier weapon straight through enemies with no collision detection while numbers float in the air. Thats how I feel when I play most mmos but the trailers always look awesome :P

Thats how i feel too. But when the Star Wars MMO Trailer came out everyone was nuts, eventhough it was pretty clear NOTHING from the trailer will be in the game. The game will play absolutly the same as every other MMO (as you described rather fittingly).
    Thats how i feel about CG Trailer and a lot of CG in Games anyway. Like why do Square bother? Modern Engines can prdouce a lot and CG can rip one out of the immersion.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I think when trailers are done like the Arkham City one, posted above it's great.

That trailer actually showed things that you could do in game. Gliding down to attack an enemy, using the grapple to disarm,engaging multiple enemies, breaking through walls to catch enemies off guard were in the trailer and all showed up in game.

Even when it's pure fluff though it's still pretty to look at.