Home General Discussion

3d artists - out of a job in the future?

So for a while now I've been worried that 3d artists will all be put of a job because of advancing technology, for example with Zbrush's Zmesher it's possible to retop with a click of a button, while still in its infancy it has the potential to completely remove a stage of 3d modeling, couple that with software that scans 2d images, photos or real world 3d items and turns them into a digital model, which can then be auto re-topped well damn, there's not much left for a person specialized in 3d modeling/sculpting to do.

So is the death of 3d artists coming?

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    as much as photography killed the painter.. imo
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    yep, just like we stopped painting cave walls when brush and canvas was invented..

*odor beat me to it
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    lol, yes new zbrush is really impressive. Becomes less technical work more creative. Button to make cool, closer )
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    probably not, time = money so tools that reduce time means less ballooning budgets. I don't work in AAA games, I'm used to 1 week or less turnaround on characters. A few recent threads put AAA character turn around at an average 4-5 weeks. If tools can reduce the time to make a AAA next-gen character to the time it takes to make an old school diffuse only character that would be a good thing for most of you guys (just bad for me!)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10

Only if you don't exercise, manage your diet, and abstain from sexual release.
  • GenericGoodGuy
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Only if you don't exercise, manage your diet, and abstain from sexual release.

Haha..nice.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like 3d modelers will be just a hobby in like 20 years. I mean with the steam market, turbosquid and others, it's only a matter of time before companies can just buy what they need rather than paying workers.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so far we have no make art button.. so we're good. 3d artist is more than a pixel pusher, but a creative controller of content. Ya.. it would suck for all the drones in the outsourcing companies probably.. but there will still need to be people in creative positions to create. Until AI is smart enough to determine the basic principles and conditions of what it means to be creative I wouldn't worry.By then we should all be dead or ready to drive off the top of a building in a hoveround.

this happens everytime we make our jobs easier. The entire world is advancing, so things are bound to change and how we work. Its not like someone is going to figure out how to make a game with one person and a bunch of software over night. and even if they did.. it would probably be very bland and cookie cutter.

and if thats the case... that games can be made that easily.. great news for indies and individuals to focus on making a good game and not getting bogged down by content creation.

and just in case.. keep some toasters around to beat up for practice when the robots take over. know their weaknesses :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    low odor wrote: »
    as much as photography killed the painter.. imo

wait, is that actually a good example ?

even though i dont think painting is killed, lot of it is mainly in fine art but most of it has been replaced by large format digital prints, digital displays etc.

unless you are talking about painting houses, billboards etc.

anyways, in future i would like to just sculpt and paint without thinkig about topology or texture sizes...
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Never stop learning, as long as you have that mindset you will always be able to adapt to the changes in technology. When VFX "took over" stop-motion animation the people who wanted to simply started to learn and transition into the digital medium instead.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    As much as 3d art is getting easier, what's happening even more, ESPECIALLY in games, is that we are requiring more assets and having those assets be much more complex. This will continue until we hit photorealism. Manpower is going to be needed even if we do invent a "make art" button.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonyd927 wrote: »
    I feel like 3d modelers will be just a hobby in like 20 years. I mean with the steam market, turbosquid and others, it's only a matter of time before companies can just buy what they need rather than paying workers.

I had a producer who thought this would work...he didnt consider the mounds of garbage you have to wade through to get a decent model...or the headache of trying consolidate an art style piecemeal through a matket place..it's easier to interface with a professional artist with an exact spec, that you can give revisions and feedback to...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    wait, is that actually a good example ?

even though i dont think painting is killed, lot of it is mainly in fine art but most of it has been replaced by large format digital prints, digital displays etc.

unless you are talking about painting houses, billboards etc.

anyways, in future i would like to just sculpt and paint without thinkig about topology or texture sizes...

There are plenty of painters that still use paint...

My point was tools won't replace artists
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe we should stop trying to convince the doomsayers that the sky isn't falling, it just means more job security for us if they give up and become accountants instead.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yep, makes sense to just give up now, no point in continuing. I'm just so glad I have a backup career, I hear you can make good money selling your ass to random strangers.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless I missed a meeting or something, yes. We're all dead eventually.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Games are getting bigger, and the level of detail is increasing, but we are also getting magic buttons that do tedious tasks for us. I think the amount of artists required to make games will increase or at least stay the same for a long while.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    3D scan data looks like garbage before you spend time cleaning it up in Zbrush. Plus you're limited to things you can scan. You can't scan a dragon for instance, so there will always be work in fantasy and sci-fi for artists. They still don't hire photographers to illustrate fantasy novels, and it's been almost 200 years since photography's invention.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that if 3D becomes heavily reliant on procedural generation the field will just start merging with conceptual design, people will start modeling their own designs instead of having a concept artist pass it off down to someone in the assembly line.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is all talking about REALISM btw, we still have all sorts of cartoon styles and abstract stuff. just saying.

and to Bibendum argument, Its still "hard" to make things look good, sure, a lot of hobbyist have photoshop but its not like the make big movie posters or commercials, they still hire real professionals for that, because its quicker and will look better in the end.
    and as a company you rather hire someone to do something quick then have some art director do it instead of doing his real job =

Something that is starting to blur out more and more though is the line between 3d artist and concept artist, they are more and more becoming the same person.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    Something that is starting to blur out more and more though is the line between 3d artist and concept artist, they are more and more becoming the same person.
    This was pretty much my whole point man.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, so I wanna make a fantasy game, I'll just go to the zoo real quick to borrow their Orcs and Dragons so I can 3D-scan them... oh wait...

The new tools may make it easier to achieve realism. So if we're talking about what now a person would aspire to replicate from real-life 1:1, then yeah, that sort of super technical reproduction may become obsolete. And good on that. But if you ever want to show any kind of artistic taste, if you want to represent something that doesn't simply exist in real life, then you're going to need much more than computers that can replicate reality.

The camera may have done lots of damage to classical painters. But it made it possible for people like George Lucas to need people like Jim Henson.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    MoCap has existed for years but we still have animators. With the scope and detail level of some projects now, any tool that helps us work faster or carve out more time for iteration is probably a good thing.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Hopefully new workflows/tech will lead to more opportunities for smaller teams and will actually promote growth within the industry. Hopefully.
  • superb888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 1920x1200 LCD res screen has 2,304,000 pixels. Each pixel can be given a value between 1 and 16.7 million something.

So thats 2.3 million to the power of 16.7 mill. That's a hell of a big number of combinations when you get down to it.

Many modern games suffer from samey/bad art direction and they all start looking like clones of each other. I'd like to see someone perfect 'hand drawn' look. I have yet to see it. Wind waker and others that used cell shading still are far from good hand drawn style animation.

Take Transformers: Fall of cybertron. It used unreal engine and the games' art direction is limited by the rendering tech you have.

While the game looked ok there were some seriously cheezy looking models. The neon cars running around the energon transport come to mind. Not to mention lots of ugly textures because of console limitations.

Right now games suffer from sever content limitations because game assets have become too big and complex to make for mere humans unaided by advanced tech.

I'd love to see tools dedicated to smaller problems like classic pixel art. I'd love for small teams to make tonnes of 2D SNES style graphic games if the tools allowed them to make buckets of awesome pixel art for cheap.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Not to sound like an old fart, but I remember back in 2000 they were talking about how photo-scans made texture artists completely redundant.

Then producers started telling us that Turbo Squid was the future, and that one day MMO's would be made by 5 designers, and a bunch of bought models.

In 2005, we were told procedural textures are going to one day remove the need for texture artists.

At this time, Characters went from taking 3 days, to a week, to a month to make. PS1 to PS2 to 360/PS3

Now we have 60k Triangle uber complex characters, with a plethora of material, and 14+ masks to edit, SSS textures, shaders to tweak, with blended normal maps, displacements. All signs pointing towards 2+ months per character.

I keep hearing promises of these 1-button solutions to make everything faster, easier, and better, but then shit keeps requiring more and more time to hit higher bars.

:/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I love scanning my big, mechanical, dog monster that looks like a ham on steroids and auto-retopologize it with auto-loops, and auto-skeletons for my single button games! /s
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Would better tools reduce the need for artists? Possibly. If you don't need an artist to make a tree because you can simply just scan one, you wouldn't need them.

But remove 3D artists in general? Never.

The whole point of being an artist is you can create anything that is both real and imaginary. This applies to all artists by the way.

For example, there are programs that can make cartoons very easily. However, the end result can be very generic or cheap looking.

Now compare that to a classic Disney movie where every scene is hand drawn by multiple artists. You can't do that with a click of a mouse. It takes years of experience and patience to animate characters with such expression and emotion that a computer can't generate on its own.

The same idea applies to 3D Modeling. If you want something never done before or not generic looking, you're going to need an artist.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Not to sound like an old fart, but I remember back in 2000 they were talking about how photo-scans made texture artists completely redundant.

Then producers started telling us that Turbo Squid was the future, and that one day MMO's would be made by 5 designers, and a bunch of bought models.

In 2005, we were told procedural textures are going to one day remove the need for texture artists.

At this time, Characters went from taking 3 days, to a week, to a month to make. PS1 to PS2 to 360/PS3

Now we have 60k Triangle uber complex characters, with a plethora of material, and 14+ masks to edit, SSS textures, shaders to tweak, with blended normal maps, displacements. All signs pointing towards 2+ months per character.

I keep hearing promises of these 1-button solutions to make everything faster, easier, and better, but then shit keeps requiring more and more time to hit higher bars.

amen
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    "I keep hearing promises of these 1-button solutions to make everything faster, easier, and better, but then shit keeps requiring more and more time to hit higher bars." so true!

yup Ive been working in mobile games for 3 years and we went from not even having much 3D on any mobile device to now having up to 10000 triangles in a single character and our games went from taking 2 months to make to taking around about 6months to a year!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Ok, so I wanna make a fantasy game, I'll just go to the zoo real quick to borrow their Orcs and Dragons so I can 3D-scan them...

That's ridiculous, Warchief Thrall would never allow his people to be kept in a zoo :poly118:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    That's ridiculous, Warchief Thrall would never allow his people to be kept in a zoo :poly118:

Just wait... they already got the pandas. they'll get the orcs too
  • superb888
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

It's coming, just they got the timeframe wrong. Most likely it will be a century for full one button AAA style graphics. But advancements have been made for smaller assets. Consider SpeedTree for instance. I'm sure they will perfect tools that deal with objects that are static and static environments as well. Anything that doesn't animate lends itself to computer-aided creativity which will cut production times.

The reality is it's just a really hard problem and it's going to take DECADES at the very least. Games got too big too fast so you went from small teams to teams of over 400 because of asset bloat.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    all of these solutions only really offer a technical advancement, not an artistic one.

can a machine, or a mathematical equation look at something with an artistic eye and decide whether it looks good or not? no, they can't.

so while dDo can spit out some pretty decent textures in 1/10 the time a human can, you can't just leave it be and call it done, because anyone with an artistic talent can still find a way to improve it and make it look less formulaic. much like zremesher can currently provide a fantastic topological base, any tech artist/animator will tell you that it will still need a good going over before it can actually be used.

all they do is speed up or remove the time consuming TECHNICAL aspects of our job, and allow us to focus on what really matters... make cool shit.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    all of these solutions only really offer a technical advancement, not an artistic one.

can a machine, or a mathematical equation look at something with an artistic eye and decide whether it looks good or not? no, they can't.

so while dDo can spit out some pretty decent textures in 1/10 the time a human can, you can't just leave it be and call it done, because anyone with an artistic talent can still find a way to improve it and make it look less formulaic. much like zremesher can currently provide a fantastic topological base, any tech artist/animator will tell you that it will still need a good going over before it can actually be used.

all they do is speed up or remove the time consuming TECHNICAL aspects of our job, and allow us to focus on what really matters... make cool shit.
    Thats essentially it, the 3D artist is just more finding his feet as what he is or should be, a Artist, some of the appeal why many of us started down this road was the way the artistic brain had to sync with the technical brain, but the artistic brain is as it should in artistic professions going to be taking more of a lead role in the future while the technical brain is going to have less of a work load, for those that want to "make cool shit" this couldn't be better.

if you are fearing evolution, bury your head in the sand, if not rise above and meet your potential.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Studios still need people in-house to collaborate with, put things in levels make shaders... a lot of studios have custom engines and tools. I doubt studios would really want to fully go remote because there may be more risk of a confidentiality "break", things would probably leak to the public a lot easier and faster...

I don't think these tools will remove the artists, I think it will help a lot with time and budget, I don't have a crystal ball and none of us do but it could lead to possibly more stable jobs and well... more jobs? Who knows time will tell.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Bibendum wrote: »
    This was pretty much my whole point man.

oh
    ...ok =P sorry, missunderstood u then, I though u meant like "normal" ppl would start doing their own models. nvm then :)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    3D is dead.

Get yo' fucking swimming trunks ready,

Cuz we're going 4D.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work will change, but we will always need 3d artist. A lot of tools are mostly designed with the need of an user input.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Isn't the 4th dimension Time? How is that gonna work XD
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    ZRemesher and uv Master has removed a huge time sink for 3d artists at the click of a button. This gives more time for creating actual art. I'm all for getting rid of these tedious tasks and relegating them to the push of a button. UV mapping and retopologising is not what 3d art is about.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    The biggest shift right now is break up of skills into sub categories. Artist can no longer afford to do 4 different things at once. It's going to be modelers, texture artist, collision and LOD artist, light artist. That's how it will be to maintain the new quality we are seeing. If one artist is doing everything, you get subpar graphics like cod or titanfall. Spread out disciplines gives you gears of war, battlefield 4.

Also, I wouldn't freak out about zremesher. It's got years before its bad ass. It's not the end all of tools.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Speaking of Bars and 4D
    Holodeck.jpg

There is allways a way to delevop crazier and complex shit to
    tell our storys or to let dreams come true.
    I hope that one day we could develop AAA holodeck games :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    If one artist is doing everything, you get subpar graphics like cod or titanfall. Spread out disciplines gives you gears of war, battlefield 4.

hmm this is interesting, why do you say that its the focused specialization of staff that results in a better quality game? surely people could feasibly achieve the same results even if they for example model and texture assets rather than just model constantly? I know people get better at a role after a while but maybe the game could suffer because of the fact that peoples other talents are not being taken advantage of.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'm pretty sure the subpar graphics in CoD or Titanfall is mostly due to the fact that these games use a game engine that's almost ten years old now.

I would think that creating an asset from high poly to low, texturing and shading included allows you to focus more on your work instead of going from an asset to another without caring that much since it's not "yours". At least that's how I feel.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Crazyeyes wrote: »
    The biggest shift right now is break up of skills into sub categories. Artist can no longer afford to do 4 different things at once. It's going to be modelers, texture artist, collision and LOD artist, light artist. That's how it will be to maintain the new quality we are seeing. If one artist is doing everything, you get subpar graphics like cod or titanfall. Spread out disciplines gives you gears of war, battlefield 4.

Also, I wouldn't freak out about zremesher. It's got years before its bad ass. It's not the end all of tools.

At least one of the games you mention was created using the non specialist way.

Going for the specialist path might sound like a great idea logically, because that one person should become a god at that one thing, reality usually looks more like burned out people wanting to do more then one thing.

I changed to a smaller company because I wanted to try different things,
    and not bury myself down with one game for many years doing one thing, worked on 4 games this year as part of a team and creating levels from scratch myself, and I have never felt better and never felt more passionate about my work,
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Jerc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the subpar graphics in CoD or Titanfall is mostly due to the fact that these games use a game engine that's almost ten years old now.

I would think that creating an asset from high poly to low, texturing and shading included allows you to focus more on your work instead of going from an asset to another without caring that much since it's not "yours". At least that's how I feel.

interesting and very common take on approach. I know how you feel and somewhat agree, but weather we want ownership or not won't matter. Pretty soon we are going to have to let go of that for the greater good of the project. Pretty soon it will just be Art Assemblers. Just about EVERYTHING will be outsourced. Otherwise, the only alternative is to keep current gen engines, same cost, everything looks like Titanfall. Well, on The Xbone that is. :)