Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted texture critique

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mikel polycounter lvl 10
Hello!
So after buying a new Wacom Intuos 5M and giving my old Bamboo One to a friend I've done a hand painted texture attempt. After being like 6 months without practicing I think the result is not bad. The Intuos worths every € it costs. Please, give me feedback and critique.
(I apologize for my mistakes at english :) )
nee2xv.jpg
2rh22js.jpg
4ujm2s.jpg

Replies

• Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
  • mtrx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Convert it to 3D (with normals, specular etc.) and even better would be to use it in a small scene to see for which objects are those intended.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The style looks nice but I can't tell what the second image wants to be ... is it rock, wood or muddy earth? It needs more definition or a concrete design direction I think.
  • Mrpopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    Great job on the stone tablet, I love the worn edges, and the slightly saturated blue greys you have used really make it pop, although its looking a bit putty-ish, perhaps make the highlights a bit sharper/brighter in certain areas? Really try and sell the fact that it has been carved into by someone and it still has sharp chiseled stone edges.

The wood on the other hand could use some work, it doesn't quite read as wood, the colours are there but all the deep heavy cracks and crevasses are weird, and its in need of some delicious, delicious wood grain up in thur. Perhaps take a closer look at wood planks reference while painting. Also the polycount wiki has some good wood painting tuts.

I like your painting style Mikel, its really appealing to look at, its just about nailing the materials now, keep it up! Paint all the things! :B
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    mtrx wrote: »
    Convert it to 3D (with normals, specular etc.) and even better would be to use it in a small scene to see for which objects are those intended.

Just trying the new tablet and texture tests for the moment. More and better incoming :)
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    WarrenM wrote: »
    The style looks nice but I can't tell what the second image wants to be ... is it rock, wood or muddy earth? It needs more definition or a concrete design direction I think.

It's wood. How can I better define the material?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no expert on hand painted stuff but generally there are swirls and knots in wood that give the viewer a better idea that it's wood - like there's a grain running through it.

You have a lot of shapes that suddenly stop up against each other and I think that takes away from the feeling of natural wood flow.
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    Mrpopo wrote: »
    Great job on the stone tablet, I love the worn edges, and the slightly saturated blue greys you have used really make it pop, although its looking a bit putty-ish, perhaps make the highlights a bit sharper/brighter in certain areas? Really try and sell the fact that it has been carved into by someone and it still has sharp chiseled stone edges.

The wood on the other hand could use some work, it doesn't quite read as wood, the colours are there but all the deep heavy cracks and crevasses are weird, and its in need of some delicious, delicious wood grain up in thur. Perhaps take a closer look at wood planks reference while painting. Also the polycount wiki has some good wood painting tuts.

I like your painting style Mikel, its really appealing to look at, its just about nailing the materials now, keep it up! Paint all the things! :B

Amazing critique! Thanks mate. i'm always afraid to add sharp highlights because they tend to screw all my paintings. My fault I guess. About the wood... I was not as inspirated as I was with the stone. For the moment I'm trying to mimic tutorials on the web. The next is developing my own style. I'll try to apply your advices. Thanks again :)
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I'm no expert on hand painted stuff but generally there are swirls and knots in wood that give the viewer a better idea that it's wood - like there's a grain running through it.

You have a lot of shapes that suddenly stop up against each other and I think that takes away from the feeling of natural wood flow.

Thanks dude. I'll try to observe the wood around me and mimic that shapes. :thumbup:
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    I've updated with some kind of strange mineral