Home Technical Talk

Modo vs Maya,Ur thoughts?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Just watched some videos here:
http://www.livestream.com/snefer
I can't believe something like this does exist.It really has very powerful modeling tools,though Autodesk added some new modeling features to their latest maya version,I don't think it comes close to what I am seeing in these vids.I am not sure about Modo's rigging and animation tools though.Has anyone tried Modo's animation and rigging tools and how does it compare to Maya?

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Modo has always looked great. Try it and see if you like it. You might not like it and not be able to get used to it.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have been recently trying to teach myself Modo coming from Maya. Modo is light years ahead of Maya in almost every aspect of modeling and I haven't even dove that far into yet. As far as animation and rigging go, I doubt they are as good as Maya's but I don't really care personally.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take this with a pinch of salt, I've not used Maya for years and I'm not a rigger/animator by trade.

Maya's probably a little more "complete" in its rigging tools, but modo isn't far off.

Maya's also likely to be a bit more stable. Modo's only had full animation in it for 2 versions now... but modo's systems are very powerful and flexible, more so than Maya's.

And for straight up modelling, I don't think anything can really beat modo at the moment.

My advice is give modo a try, it's really worth sinking your teeth into. And if it doesn't sit well with you, then fall back to Maya.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Maya's probably a little more "complete" in its rigging tools, but modo isn't far off.

Maya's also likely to be a bit more stable. Modo's only had full animation in it for 2 versions now... but modo's systems are very powerful and flexible, more so than Maya's.

This must be a joke. Modo rigging is really, really, really, really, poor compared to maya. Animating in it is the same. I hope this is a joke.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sage Thanks.Will definitely try it out

@BARDLER Exactly!!After watching those vids,I feel like Autodesk is just ripping us off with what they incorporated into Maya.This reminds me of Blender's modeling tools which are ahead of Maya but I found problematic in terms of convenience and speed.Maya may not have advanced modeling tools but the way u can get things done is way faster and convenient than Blender.I am just hoping that the same problem doesn't apply to Modo,cause speed and ease of use are also essential and not just the powerful tools.This is what I have noticed most apps not made by Autodesk lack but Modo's modeling tools are just too good to ignore.

@Farfarer What app are u using?Are u using Modo presently?I did watch some of the animation demos for Modo and I think its very similar and might be slightly better than Maya in some regards.
    -U can modify ur model drastically after rigging and animating and the modifications will reflect in ur rigged and animated 3d model without problems.

There is a possibility u may not need to rig ur model in order to animate.I haven't done much research on modo's rigging tools but will be looking into it.Thanks.

@Jedi Would like to hear from ur experience why u feel the rigging and animation tools are poor.

@dustinbrown I completely get where u are coming from though I think u can achieve much more if u try out new tools especially if they will help ur workflow when it comes to speed.Also,I would rather prefer to work on my own than in a studio environment.
    I am also of the opinion that if one is extremely good at what he/she does(which I am striving for),a studio will hire u irrespective of what app u use.If the app u use is different from what they use but can make their workflow faster.I am pretty sure they could incorporate it into their pipeline bc of the quality of work u have demonstrated u can make with it.
    Studios are always looking for how to get things done faster and on time,the app that can get things done faster the better.One more thing that is appealing to me now about modo is the software is licensed to you and not ur computer which means u can use it anywhere from ur account.So u could own urs and use it at the studio u work in and at home for private jobs.

At $1,500,it seems like a great app with maya,mudbox,zbrush rolled into one compared to maya at $3,500 + .I will still research about its rigging tools.One of the things I have learnt is that the fact that a software is popular and widely used does not mean its the best.There may be other lesser known apps that can get the job done better and faster and ignoring them because they are not popular might rob u of the chance of becoming better,faster and more equipped at what u do.The snefer dude who uses modo in those livestream videos I watched has worked on some AAA games which I am sure he used modo for.
    He found what worked for him and his work speaks for itself.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Didn't know it was possible to make videos that low res anymore.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    ... The ones you linked?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep..I gather 1080 or 720 is the new high res.Cause of uploading problems and in other to cut render times,I render at 480 res..guess thats low res.Probably will try to upload at 720 res next time.

Of course,its still possible to make vids low res in this time and age.

Kinda wondered why ur post was offtopic there and I am guessing u never tried modo?
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    If its for personal use then feel free to use whatever software works best for YOU.

Now, if it was for a studio then that's an entirely different story. Max/Maya are the most dominant applications and its worthwhile to know at least one and if you have time both. I am of the opinion that the studios do not care what software you use as long as you have a good understanding of the said software to replicate your art through their preferred 3D package.

Nobody ever goes "oh he did this in [X]" software. But that doesn't necessarily mean you can skip out on learning the other prominently used software.

Its like trying to substitute Photoshop with some other program. Yeah it may very well be possible but everyone else in the industry uses Photoshop. There's a reason why industry standards do not go away over night even with newer and powerful programs.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'd very likely still miss my modifier stack in modo .. oh lawd, am I doomed to use Max until I finally lie down and die?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get used to working without it. You just develop new workflows and habits. The stack is nice to have but I typically collapse mine a lot so it doesn't really matter long term for me...
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's one of the major changes to the workflow people seem to stumble on.

I've always used the modifier stack in Max as if it was a long-winded tool, anyway... i.e. set it up, then collapse it straight away. So not having a stack in modo never really bothered me.

In modo, if I'm uncertain that I won't want to go back, I'll duplicate the mesh layer so I can grab a copy of the unedited version again if my editing doesn't go as I want. Same as I do in Max, really.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    In modo, if I'm uncertain that I won't want to go back, I'll duplicate the mesh layer so I can grab a copy of the unedited version again if my editing doesn't go as I want. Same as I do in Max, really.

That's what I do in Maya. It can kind of get a little messy in the scene, though that's typically when I'm working on environments and decide to throw everything one scene.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to admit its going to be another workload learning a new app.Thats the advantage Autodesk will forever have.Being one of the oldest 3d apps around,a lot of studios have built their plugins,app and trained their staff based on Maya or max that learning a new app might actually take away from valuable time spent getting more work done.

I kinda wish there was a device that downloads all u need to know about a software to ur memory so u don't have to go through the learning curve dilemma.Maya 2014 new modeling features may not be so advanced but a step in the right direction.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I've always used the modifier stack in Max as if it was a long-winded tool, anyway... i.e. set it up, then collapse it straight away. So not having a stack in modo never really bothered me.

I don't know.. I keep my Bend/FFD/Shell/QuadChamfer/??? modifiers around for ages. It'd be hard to do without (though I guess one needs to let go of the past at some point, yeah? ;) )
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I still prefer Maya as the go to app of choice (as should you for employment purposes)... however I was on the market for a secondary app for home and freelance usage. Modo seemed like the best choice at first... I was bordering on purchasing a license until I decided check up on how far Blender has progressed.

It looked vastly superior to where it was a year or two ago, so I forced myself to work with it for one week. (maya keymap + dynamic space bar addon)

After that week I have no interest in Modo anymore and will stick with Blender as being a secondary app. Additionally, with the right keymaps (you can make your own, use the default or download someone elses) you can have a very Maya like experience within Blender..all for free (though I do recommend supporting the developers via donations).

I highly recommend you give it a shot. It has really grown to become a strong competitor in the 3d application world. There's a new release every few months and its updated constantly with both bug fixes and feature patches. With a bit of python knowledge you can even customize the application further.

I find the sculpting within Blender to be better than Modo's sculpting...as it feels more zbrushy. Though nothing really beats Zbrush, especially now that Zremesher is in. New videos are popping up showcasing the painting capabilities in Blender (which are still in development). It has a built in compositor, game engine, and 2 node based rendering engines. The modeling tools are great as well. Ok enough plugging, try it out. It wont cost you anything but your time.

One more thing, you can use any money saved by using Blender to grab a Zbrush license or nab yourself a cintiq if you dont have one already.

Hand painted low poly in Blender:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrApuPOayoU

Seamless texture workflow:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HWY28YJsM"]Seamless Texture Painting in Blender - YouTube[/ame]

3d cursor workflow:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ8q95Ta4KE"]3D Cursor in Blender - YouTube[/ame]
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Trying to use modo but I'm already stuck.

Scale is displayed as a percentage. WHY?

I can't find the option in Modo 701 (it must of been moved or removed) to change this to units.

Why in gods name would ANYONE who knows what they're doing want their scale as a percentage vs a unit so they can work to scale..
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried the sculpting in 701? It's vastly improved over previous releases.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Modo is REALLY unintuitive so far.

I could make a freaking list, but what's the point.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give it a fair shot with an open mind. Leave behind what you WANT it to be and try to learn what it actually is. That was key for me... When it clicks, it will feel amazing.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I just started learning Modo myself and I come from Maya too. Biggest problem I had with it, was not so flexible pivot control as in Maya. Once I figured that out it was 50% of problem gone, another 50% was the scripting / shortcuts and how to customize Modo. There is still lots to learn about it, but that was my main barrier I had with it.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Two notable guys from Pixar, one particularly so if you are familiar with this, have said Modo is the closest to the proprietary tools they are using.

As far as I know, Eve from Wall-E was also built entirely in Modo. The recent Sly Cooper game was also built in Modo, more info here.

There's actually a bit of discussion on the Pixar thing over at the Luxology forums here and here.

Personally, I've never used it for rigging/animation so I can't comment but I bought it last year and have switched to it entirely and I love it. I got pretty frustrated with the initial unfamiliarity, and posted on here moaning about how different it was, but now I love it.

I don't want to say it because I don't think it should be viewed as a budget package, but the price alone makes it a winner in my opinion.

Thats great to hear since you talked about trying to get refund.

Like WarrenM said. You can't force Modo to work lke 3ds max or maya. It works differently. I think it's really flexible once you wrap your head around it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for users, Seneca Menard built everything he did for RAGE in Modo when he was at id. It's certainly more than capable once you "get it".
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seneca's modo scripts are also fantastic, well worth trawling through 'em.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Modo has SDK level access via python now right? If so that's great. I'll keep giving it a go.

Does someone care to explain the pivot thing then? Because it's downright confusing. I can never get it to behave properly and have no idea where the pivot ACTUALLY is which is important for this robot I'm (trying to) modelling.

I'm also getting frustrated, I have snapping OFF, but my cylinder I'm trying to resize is snapping instead of scaling nicely. I need it smaller, but it's snapping to ZERO. NM just had to freeze the scale.

How do I get my pivot back? It's disappeared..
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    if you turned off the snapping then you won't see any snapping though,can you see the ticked snapping line on the pipeline under the lists that is on the right side of the UI?you can tick it off for deactivating though,and that percentage based scale thingy,I am a bit confused what you're exactly telling about,you can change scale system in metrics,imperial,or fictional game scale and so on.If you want to control the actual size of your meshes,then use absolute scaling tool under basic-->snapping and precision.Hope it does helps.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Is there a way to check for symmetry in an object?

In maya I had a script that'd tell me if it was perfectly symmetrical or not.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's in Geometry > Symmetry Tool. Any verts that don't have a symmetrical counterpart will show in yellow, click and drag to up the threshold for modo to automatically nudge them back into positron so the model is symmetrical.
  • Hattori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read several times that Modo is not the best solution for game asset creation. Also it does not play nice with Unity, when it comes to animated models and Unity.

I also read that the baking tools are quite useless. Similar to Blender, you don't have any cage baking.

That is just what I read. I tried the demo of 601 and it was hard to get used to it. So I didn't get deep into, since they offer only a 15 days trial.

I'd love to have solid modeling and animation tool for Unity as alternative to Maya, or Blender. But what I've read so far worries me, if this is the right tool. Some people seem to love it, and others hate it.
    Another problem are the long complaining threads about Modo's bugs :(

I wondering how good their painting tools are, compared to 3dCoat?
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Modo's pivot system is a pile of crap.

I'm sick of trying to move a pivot to the appropriate place for my objects to rotate around (important for when I setup the rig). It would literally be easier AND faster to export the objects one by one, fix the pivots in maya, export, reimport. Stupid..

Currently attempting to vertex snap. It's snapping AROUUUUND the vertex I want to snap to.

What the actual shit? They think this system is usable? appropriate? decent? NOPE.

Finally got it.

Now I have two items with frozen transforms and the pivot in the exact same place. Great. Except when I select both and scale they fly off into space, I have to do them one by one.

:poly127:
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    @hattori, there have been some plug-ins made by Modo users to increase the effectiveness of Modo for game asset creation, I agree though that its not the best solution.

As for Blender, it actually doesnt seem to have much of a problem when it comes to game assets and cage baking. However, it seems that right now its better to just create the cage in Blender but do the rest in Xnormal. Managing and exporting vertext normals (for use in smoothing edges) is being worked on now and theres currently build for testing that feature. That was one of the few missing features that many game artist felt was necessary.

In addition to that, there are a few addons which allow a GoZ (go zbrush) workflow within Blender, as well as one for Xnormal (so you dont have to actually leave blender). Not sure how stable that last addon is.

Ton R. from the Blender Foundation recently laid out a development roadmap for the 2.7x and 2.8x line of Blender. Most of it involves a more solid integration of the game engine into Blender itself as well as updated OpenGL rendering. I think the game asset creation side will be getting even more love in the months to come.

Back to Modo. The painting side of Modo isnt nearly as good as 3dCoat. In fact it still feels tacked on and clumsy to say the least. Brad over at Luxology was saying that they intended to update the painting side of Modo in an upcoming service pack. We will see if its anything significant.

Finally, for pure modeling...Nvil might be worth looking into.
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I don't know.. I keep my Bend/FFD/Shell/QuadChamfer/??? modifiers around for ages. It'd be hard to do without (though I guess one needs to let go of the past at some point, yeah? ;) )

You are a crazy man (or woman, you never know). I would love to have the discipline to actually keep anything in the stack for longer than two or three modifiers in there. It bugs the hell out of me ( OCD much? ) but I know how useful it would be if I could just restrain myself. I wish sometimes that I could just adjust a parameter instead of sliding stuff around. You inspire me. :poly121:

Back on topic though, I've been meaning to download a trial of Modo and play with it for the 30 days or whatever the trial period is. The modeling toolset looks to be a real time saver. As it was mentioned above Most of us are stuck in the Autodesk / Adobe industry workflow, so hearing opinions about the alternatives out there is just great :). Hopefully I have time in the coming week to try it out.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Uninstalling modo. Completely not recommended. Inferior pivot system completely cripples the software and so many other things I cbf naming.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take it you've read the documentation on pivots and centres?

Centres are where the move/rotate/scale actions at an item level originate - the origin for that model essentially.

Pivots are where animation happens from... by default the pivot for an object is aligned to its centre, but you can optionally offset the pivot (and the offset can be keyframed).

I suspect you're confusing the two.

I can snap either pretty happily (and precisely) to anything else.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Vii wrote: »
    Uninstalling modo. Completely not recommended. Inferior pivot system completely cripples the software and so many other things I cbf naming.

Completely not recommended by someone who spent few days with Modo! 1 star! (jokes)

Shame you didn't give it more time. Farfarer, Earthquake and Snefer are examples that Modo can be powerful tool. Maybe you still need to search for the app that suits you.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Vii, how about post some screens (or a vid) of what exactly you're trying to do? Can't say I've ever had any hassle with moving them.

Also here's a wonderful vid demonstrating the various action centers that are incredibly handy when modeling: http://content.luxology.com/community/user_tutorials/seneca/SENECA_MODO_ACTRS.mov

Of course I can't be sure, but it sounds like action centers would help with your current problems.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Between the action center and the work plane there shouldn't be anything you CAN'T do, in all seriousness. That system is hella powerful...
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been playing around with Modo,using the inline help documentation,I am loving it already.The first thing I noticed about the app is that its very similar to Blender in terms of the different modes and other stuffs but what is keeping me hooked is the fast realtime renderer.Its super FAST!! with global illumination,indirect lighting,caustics on.Thats just awesome!!

I imported a scene I did in Blender without textures and Modo rendered it with full features in just 49 secs whereas in Blender with cycles,it took 5mins+ and that was with no textures,preview samples at 20.It was still very noisy/grainy whereas Modo was very clean.

I am yet to fully grasp the modeling tools but I am pretty sure as I advance further in the documentation,I will get to understand how they work.I must point out though I find the hitting esc button everytime u need to exit a tool or reselect a tool to use it a little tasking.Lets say u wanted to move around vertices to reshape a mesh.This means after moving a vertex,u have to esc or reselect the move tool to manipulate another vertex.Thats tiring and less intuitive especially if u need to adjust a number of vertices but I am assuming Modo may have a workaround or tool for that purpose?

As for Blender,its becoming my favorite choice of app and its because of the new features and brilliant addons that are easily available to users(donations are important in making all these possible btw)

I feel cycles materials are the best and very easy to use.Problem is the renderer does take time especially for complex scenes and the grainy stuff that comes with it.

I have been playing around with the realtime animation addon in Blender and I am very...very happy with it.This is going to drastically reduce animation workload especially camera movement as the addon records the movement of ur camera like u are holding it and moving it around in reallife.Thats just splendid in shaolin awesomeness.I am guessing no other app has this feature at all.

I am kinda torn between the awesome realistic fast renderer in Modo and the fast animation technique in Blender.Modo probably has better modeling tools and great realistic renderer(not tried out the rigging/animation tools yet) while Blender has very fast animation tools.

I am seriously thinking of using the glsl shaders in Blender to cut the render times in Blender and enjoy the animation tools it offers till Cycles improves but yet Modo's renderer is too good to ignore.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso wrote: »
    I am yet to fully grasp the modeling tools but I am pretty sure as I advance further in the documentation,I will get to understand how they work.I must point out though I find the hitting esc button everytime u need to exit a tool or reselect a tool to use it a little tasking.Lets say u wanted to move around vertices to reshape a mesh.This means after moving a vertex,u have to esc or reselect the move tool to manipulate another vertex.Thats tiring and less intuitive especially if u need to adjust a number of vertices but I am assuming Modo may have a workaround or tool for that purpose?
    Spacebar will drop the current tool if one is active (cycles through vert/edge/poly if not).

Modo has "sticky keys" and "select through" for easier tool usage, too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH-EHSeJO3w"]Quick tip: sticky keys and select-through in modo - YouTube[/ame]
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow..that was exactly what I was looking for.
    Sadly,I have uninstalled Modo and decided to give Blender my full attention.I have decided I am done trying out new apps and trying to find that perfect software because the truth is there is none.
    I will still use Maya but Blender is very powerful right now,and the userbase have a huge collection of scripts and addons that have proven to be really powerful and very useful.These are probably stuffs u can only have access to if u work in a studio environment and they are readily available for others to tryout and use unlike Maya or modo.

I think opensource is the way apps are going to go in the near future.Powerful apps or features like ptex,opensubdivs,bullet physics,xnormal are signs that this is a step in the right direction and everyone benefits.

I have also decided if I am currently going to make any expenditure on anything cg,it will be on making my CPU more advanced and not on apps anymore unless needed.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome discussion guys, really inspiring me to try Modo!

Saw it in a 3D mag like 4 years ago and hadn't really heard about it much since until i started browsing these forums + after seeing Tor Frick using it... well its about damn time i put Max down for a bit and tried something else.

I'll be giving it a try over the next two weeks along with Houdini will post my results when i'm done.
  • sadaharu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool discussion here!:)

I first started in C4D then switched on Maya 2013 because i wanted to learn what people actually use in industry.
    I really liked Maya workflow and all other stuff together with modeling even though it's not that great but the mayor flow in modeling with Maya was selection! Oh man, picking and aiming verts and edges was a pain!
    At that point i started to look for better modeling solution and went for Modo. At first i liked it but after a little while i noticed that i struggle to much...at that point Maya 2014 was released with new modeling toolkit.
    So instead of learning Modo i give it a try to new Maya and i was seriously blown away, it all felt like the whole new better modeling software!

Sure, there is not really new modeling inventions but workflow is super awesome! So i
    stayed with Maya at the end!

Modeling toolkit has really really great modeling workflow BUT requires a bit of time to learn all those crtl-shift-click-left click-middle click tricks. It doesn't come with assigned shortcuts so that is also a must for mesh editing tools at least!

So, my conclusion is:
    ...a question! Do you really need a LOT of modeling functions or superior workflow?
    Maybe a bit of both but at the end of the day 90% of modeling time you practically only use what every other 3D software has - extrude, bevel, bridge, cut, connect... the other 10% is software specific but with some workaround you end up on the same. So, the workflow is what matters the most and in my opinion Maya's workflow is the best now..

You know..i was watching Vitaly Bulgarov videos and tuts, couple of times..one of his is on: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct9voyU3h0"]Sloth Robot 3d design - Timelapse video - YouTube[/ame]
    ...watch it carefully and you'll see that he use only extrude, bevel, cut, connect, bridge, some booleans, weld...tools that every singe software has and yet he managed to create such an awesome looking stuff!

That draw final conclusion :)

The best modeling software is not the new,cool looking one that has a million options but the one that fits you the most!
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    I've also been considering Modo, and have been going thru it the last couple of days. There are some things I like, and some things I don't like. I wish snapping worked a little better, and by that I mean sometimes it may take me several tries to get a vertex to snap to another vertex. My cursor will be right over another vertex and it won't snap, but if I kind of move it around then it will snap.