Home Technical Talk

Black Normals in Unity / Marmoset

Vii
Vii
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vii polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get help on unity's forums with an issue where my files being exported via FBX from Maya are coming in black on the hands. But because they're unity's forums, of course I haven't received any help.

- The issue is present in unity AND marmoset toolbag, it is not specific to unity
- The normals ARE the correct way around
- The hands were imported via obj, the normals ARE unlocked - triple checked that, then smoothed.
- If I set all normals to face (so they are hard) the issue is not present
- The issue is only present when there is animation on her rig (mind boggling)
- If I set unity to calculate vs import normals then the issue vanishes, but I need imported normals
- There is no UV problem, they are simple and easy to work with, no overlap, nothing wrong with them at all
- Every single option under Maya's "normals" menu has been tested, with lots of combinations to try and solve it all to no avail
- I've tested every version of the FBX exporter

Here's a unity screenshot of my character showing the issue.

e8og28.jpg

That's all I can think of. There's really nothing left I can try and I'm at a loss for how to solve this. :(

Unfortunately I can't upload the files, it'd breach my contract.

Cheers

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    Did you check your smoothing groups? You say, if you make all faces hard, the problem goes away.
    Sounds like you have one smoothing group applied to the whole model.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Maya doesn't have smoothing groups..

Whatever the issue is, it's not that basic.

One thing I forgot to mention is that in Maya the normals are perfect. If I export the FBX, then import it into Maya, still perfect.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Vii wrote: »
    Maya doesn't have smoothing groups..

Whatever the issue is, it's not that basic.

One thing I forgot to mention is that in Maya the normals are perfect. If I export the FBX, then import it into Maya, still perfect.

*edit, sorry, finished reading your post*

It could be something as silly as an unwelded vert, flipped polygon, or a polygon on top of a polygon. Some sort of non-manifold geometry could easily be causing that.

Try deleting / remaking polygons.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I've tested thoroughly for that, it's nothing of the sort. The geometry is perfect.

This problem has occured across about six characters all with different imported hands. I can't be modelling all of them incorrectly. My form may not be the best but my technical knowledge of how to model might as well be.

Starting to wonder if the problem could be in the rig itself by some freak occurrence.. My auto arm rig could be slightly off, and thats what they all have in common.
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    I had a problem like this and solved it by unlocking the normals. Also maya does have smoothing groups use them. Haha. Can you post the section of the troubling normal Map if you have one?

Are you using 2014 if so what build?

Also have you clicked the fix normals button inside the normal map inside of unity???
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    How are you smoothing the normals? Are you using average normals? If so, try unlocking again ,then doing normals>soften instead.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    @JoshVanZuylen - The normals are unlocked. I don't know what the normal map has to do with it. It occurs with or without a normal map. No maya does not have smoothing groups, if you really believe it does please show me. Even a google search indicates that it in fact does not.

@CheeseOnToast - I have tried unlocking them and softening them, or even manually setting the normal angle to 180, same result. I've tried average normals with the same result but wasn't using it in the first instance.

@dustinbrown - Yep I always check my mesh with the cleanup tool, nothing wrong with it at all. - Little confused what you want me to do with it as an OBJ, it's bound to a skeleton, I could unbind it, export it as you suggest, reimport, bind it again and copy over the weighting, then export it for unity. Is that what you're suggesting?

Cheers guys. Knew it was a good idea to post here and forget about trying to get help on unity's forums.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Vii wrote: »
    I could unbind it, export it as you suggest, reimport, bind it again and copy over the weighting, then export it for unity. Is that what you're suggesting?

I just tried this and the issue is still occuring :( I uploaded a better screenshot.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone else have any ideas? I can't give up on this working :/
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Is there any history on the mesh other than the stuff required for animation? If so, try an edit>delete by type>non deformer history. I doubt that's the problem, but it's worth a shot.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Is there any history on the mesh other than the stuff required for animation? If so, try an edit>delete by type>non deformer history. I doubt that's the problem, but it's worth a shot.

Nah there's no history asides from the obvious (and necessary) skincluster & tweak nodes.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Still no solution in sight.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    put the problematic fbx file up so people can look at it. This seems really unlikely but, vertex colors?
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Can't, said in OP :)

Isn't vertex colors :/
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I will ask permission to post the skeleton, single mesh (without outfit or textured). They should be ok with that.

Then hopefully someone can help.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I will upload a file later tonight or tomorrow morning when I'm not working. Good news is that I can.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I've uploaded a basic file. If you import it into unity you will see the issue on the hands.

Just a reminder that the issue only occurs with animation on the skeleton.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qnmzu069vdqsrq/blackNormals.rar
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone had the chance to take a look?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I imported the fbx in Unity and it shows bad normals as you said. So I imported the model in 3ds max. Suddenly the model is a different shape. Almost like wearing a skirt or something. However, when I export and re-import the normals are correct.

normals.jpg

Not sure how of a help this is though.
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    I assume when you re-export it remains bloated if you import the re-export?

Cheers for having a look. I tried importing it into modo but the animation wasn't there so couldn't test, wanted to test in blender but no fbx support. I'll download a 3ds max trial if the solution exists there, need to learn it eventually anyway..