Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP basic male mesh

Jeckari
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jeckari polycounter lvl 11
So, this is the state of my first attempt at character modeling, which I've been fiddling with during my nights and weekends, so to speak. The goal here is to put together a nice basic male mesh that I can tweak and use in future projects.

June25.png

If you're interested, this is what I had to show about two weeks ago, when I was told "It doesn't really look human yet, consult some references and focus on the basic shapes / proportions." That was some excellent advice, as I'd already started in on the anatomy and things were looking rather wonky.

I like to think I've made some pretty decent progress on the basic shapes since then, but I've seen how a few words of constructive advice can really make a difference in where things are headed...

So please, hold nothing back. What am I doing wrong, what areas should I focus on in the next few days, etc? Should I keep tweaking the basic shapes, or move on to other areas? (I've spent a lot of time messing with the torso but not so much on the limbs, and so logic would say that those could probably use work, but I've spent so long staring at the thing tonight that I'm not sure I see everything I should be seeing)

Anyways, thanks in advance! I don't really come from an art background (at all), but I'm looking forward to learning as I go. The talent here always impresses me, and makes me want to strive to be better. :)

Replies

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Hey, Jeckari, it looks like you're starting to get handle on proportions. I think your hands and feet could be a bit bigger, but for the most part, your proportions are off to a pretty solid start.

It looks like you've started to get into the musculature, and although it looks like most of the major forms are there, you may be getting ahead of yourself. I would recommend studying the skeletal landmarks before diving into the musculature. Because the skeleton is rigid, judging the position of these landmarks is much easier, and will provide you with a solid foundation for organizing the muscles.

These bony landmarks are the points on the body where the hard surface of the bone is not obscured by other tissues, and are easily visible just below the skin. You'll want to become familiar with their locations and their forms.

Torso:
    Clavicle
    Sternum
    Costal Cartilage
    Spine of the Scapula
    Acromion Process of the Scapula
    7th Cervical Vertibrae
    Anterior Superior Iliac Spine
    Posterior Superior Iliac Spine
    Sacrum
    Pubic Tubercle

Upper Extremeties:
    Lateral & Medial Epicondyles of the Humerus
    Olecranon of the Ulna
    Styloid Process of the Ulna and Radius
    Ulnar Furrow
    Carpals and Phalanges of the Hand

Lower Extremeties:
    Greater Trochanter
    Lateral & Medial Epicondyles of the Femur
    Patella
    Head of the Fibula
    The entire anterior surface of the Tibia
    Lateral & Medial Malleolus
    Calcaneus
    Tarsals and Phalanges of the Foot

Skull:
    Frontal Bone
    Zygomatic
    Nasal Bone
    Mandible
    Mastoid Process

After typing all that out I realized that might have been information overload, but its not as daunting as it looks. Just take it slow, spending a day or more on each section. Google each of the terms, locate them on your own body, and try to incorporate them into your sculpt. Take care to note their general shape and orientation relative to one another. They are like the scaffolding that hold the muscles together.

From there you'll want to start learning the major muscle groups, and their origins and insertions. I'll save that post for another day.
  • Jeckari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeckari polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. It's very heartening to know that the proportions look mostly alright (though now that you mention it, yeah, I'm going to spend more time on the hands and feet), and you've given me a great area to focus on next. I'd heard about the bony landmarks before, but hadn't really put due diligence in as far as studying them goes.

Thanks again! I'll post a (hopefully much improved) update in a week or so. :)