Home Technical Talk

3DS Max, Shift dragging offsets the mesh

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
redhonour polycounter lvl 8
So me and others (at my old school) have had this problem and I never really got a straight answer if there is indeed an answer:

1. I have a box
2. I turn on snaps
3. I hold shift and drag the object along one axis on the translate gizmo
4. The 'Clone Options' menu appears and I add value to the slider (let's say I enter five for five copies)
5. Press enter and VOILA! The cloned meshes are translated along two axes instead of just the ONE I want
6. I go to the array tool instead.

I've searched the tech talk forums and saw this little gem:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76285&highlight=3ds+max+clone

So I wonder is there a solution three years later? Not a huge issue but hey, every little speed increase helps!

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I also would like to know if anyone has a solution. I have looked into this myself and have not found anything relevant; I just live with it and copy/snap 1 at a time.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Aye, gave up on that one as well. Can't remember whether I checked the mesh for object-level transforms or not, though.
  • Mrfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfred polycounter lvl 4
    redhonour wrote: »

1. I have a box
    2. I turn on snaps
    3. I hold shift and drag the object along one axis on the translate gizmo
    4. The 'Clone Options' menu appears and I add value to the slider (let's say I enter five for five copies)
    5. Press enter and VOILA! The cloned meshes are translated along two axes instead of just the ONE I want
    6. I go to the array tool instead.

I did exactly that with a point and didnt had any issue with snap to pivot, must be something with your snaps settings
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to work if you use an orthographic view (top, left, ect).
    It seems to work if you turn off snaps.

I think I see what's going on...
    Even if you create your object with grid snap turned on your pivot might not land on the grid.
    3dsmax%20Snap%20Error.jpg

3dsmax%20Snap%20Error02.jpg

3dsmax%20Snap%20Error03.jpg

It's probably a bug since it works in ortho view just fine so either do that operation in ortho or snap your objects pivot to the grid, that way the green snap indicator will move along the same grid line that the pivot is placed on and the translation won't be picked up by the clones.

Or yea... use the array tool until they fix it...

You might want to post it on their "small annoying things" list
    http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-annoying-things

Fill out a bug report
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12331406

And pester the 3dsmax guys who are brave enough to post contact info on their Area Blogs.
    http://area.autodesk.com/blogs
  • mafida
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mafida polycounter lvl 12
    Works ok for me with axis constraints on in snap settings. Max 2013.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Mark. That stuff was driving me nuts.

I've tested this over and over with lotsa simple and complex objects and placements on the grid. But half the time it works and the other half it makes some nice stairs. Orthographic or perspective doesn't seem to matter. I can still get me some odd behavior. Ain't that a trip?
    mafida wrote: »
    Works ok for me with axis constraints on in snap settings. Max 2013.

This ACTUALLY seems to WORK. Seems to be a solution finally, and it's as simple as a checkbox.

Now excuse me while I shoot myself, gentlemen.
  • Don_EMJAY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its usually the case that it is as simple as that. A checkbox or drop down that has not been set. More so in later releases of some Autodesk products. If you do shoot yourself (I suggest that you don`t), make sure all required interactive parts are set before you pull the trigger. As you may only be doing this once (unless you have a ressurection tool), I will not suggest that you create a scripted plug in. Nyuk.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    max snaps are terrible. sometimes it seems like it snapped properly but on closer inspection the placement is off. also you have to make sure you have the right snaps on. I get weird results if I have 2d or 2.5d snaps in perspective, and if 3d snaps is turned on and I'm in orthos I get weird results at times.