Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bioshock Big Daddy WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
Couldn't decide on something to model...an organic character or something hard surface, so decided to give a Mr Bubbles a go! Nice mix of both, just finishing up the base mesh in Max, then it's off to ZBrush we go!

b6ib.jpg

sl05.jpg

0o45.jpg

utzi.jpg

Theres a few smoothing errors and some dodgy seams on the symmetry line that need sorting. It still needs some tweaking, may extend the drill a bit, and the hands a bit flat, but can sort that with the sculpt

Replies

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Nice attention to detail! I feel the hands definitely need work, and the calves look a bit thin IMO. Good work though :)
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    @shadacer cheers for the comment, I've left the arms and legs just plain tubes at the moment, was going to sculpt the material in in ZBrush, and the hand too, may add some extra loops and detail in max before hand though. Never done clothing before so will have to do some research!
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Started sculpting, not done much, just made a start with the folds and creases in the material parts of his suit.

l4jb.jpg
  • Faltzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job.

Just increase the volume around the tights and legs .

Bouncer_Rendered_Model.png
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    @Faltzer I see what you mean, I'll do that, thanks for the feedback!
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    little bit of progress...but not much really

xctb.jpg

becx.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely coming along, really like the progress that this has shown. Though, I would still add that the legs still need more volume. It just feels like they are just going to tip over. Even if you need to modify the original design, or try to match it up even more, I think it would be worth it. It just feels off, and adding that cloth mass to the lower legs would really really balance it all out. Also with the folds forming around the bands on the wrists and such. The cloth detailing feels like an afterthought currently and the overall sculpting doesn't feel cohesive just yet. Could use some bunching up and such around the different areas where the different materials meet (like the knees, wrists, shoulders, which you already have some, but making it a tad more apparent will bring it to life quite a bit)

This is just my opinion though, and just something I would point out.

As for the noise you have added to the metal, I would go in there and start sculpting some of it out with the trim dynamic brush, or something of the sort to add asymmetry and to also give the metal some character rather than just it being one big mesh with a uniform noise applied. Feels bland.

Sorry if I am pointing out stuff you already had planned, just stuff I saw.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    too much noise on the metal parts, i would keep them clean and sculpt on scratches , dents etc, and mask of some noise just for parts that would take real damage
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

This is all stuff I'm still working on, I'm using a few different reference images for this, including a figurine I have, so just taking what I like from each and putting my own spin on things.

As for the metal I was thinking of making it appear like he's spent a lot of time in the water so giving the metal a rusted appearance and making it generally very worn. Thought about maybe adding some barnacles and things to him as well...not quite sure yet.

I've tried increasing the volume of the material parts, didn't seem right, I may have over done it, I'll have another go and see how it looks.

The metal noise may be a bit too much though and uniform like you say, I'll smooth some of it out and add a bit of variation, hopefully I will have some more progress soon.

Thanks again guys
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Little bit more progress, cleaned up some of the noise and added some damaged in various places. I've pushed the material parts out slightly. Also added some noise and damage/wear to the drill, Still the hand, the material parts of the shoes and the small tank to start.

btbm.jpg

9khe.jpg

qfvo.jpg

p61u.jpg
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    Looking awesome!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey there, pretty good job,
    The only thing that is really bugging me right now is the pants.
    They don't really react the way real pants would, it's seems a bit more random that it should. I think you should really look for some reference and really think about the way the fold would fall there.

Otherwise pretty good job, keep it up!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yup good job so far... As Tits said the main area to improve is the legs/groin area. The gap in the groin is too large and a human couldn't stand in there. So my suggestion is to make the gap much more narrow, and taper the legs more making the upper thigh bigger.

In this figure it still looks a little awkward. The design itself is indeed flawed this way. However, they cover it up in the game by the way they pose him and animate him.
    1749d1256302820-necas-bioshock-bid-daddy-bouncer-1daddy2.jpg

If it was me, making this I would stray further from the concept and make it more like this revised concept it terms of form. You don't have to copy the different clothing or anything, but I would lean more this way for the anatomy...
    big_daddy_bioshock_2.jpg
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys, will definitely but all this into practice when I get a chance to work on him some more.....progress coming soon.....
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    SO its been a while since I've had time to work on this, but finally got round to it.

Just started texturing, this is the part where I really seem to struggle and cant ever seem to get it right. So far I've done all the base texturing, no specular maps yet, just constant values for the moment until the diffuse maps are finished.

Not sure I'm particularly happy with it at the moment though. Going to stick at it and hopefully it will improve, any critique/advice would be welcomed on the texturing, pull it to bits, as I know its my weakest skill!

slkl.jpg

4n6j.jpg

d8uo.jpg
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Only taken me a year and a half but I finally got round to re-doing the texture on my Big Daddy.

Only done a first pass on the texture, still needs some work an the material shader needs tweaking, got a weird normal error on the drill to fix too. I'm going to add some emissive to the eyes too!

9NJvt6q.jpg