Home Technical Talk

Rock-Earth Modeling/Texturing

null
Offline / Send Message
Diorn null
Hello everyone,
I started working on a scene, aiming for a bit of a realistic outdoor shot. In the foreground i will have a big rock/boulder so i want to get as much detail as i can into it and in the process learn how to properly sculpt and texture such an asset.

The thing that is not clear to me is how to treat the organic issue of having earth on a rock surface in a realistic manner, the transition between the two textures and braking up the mesh for two different shaders.

The softwares i'm using are Zbrush, 3dsMax, Photoshop and i also have DDO to play around with. I will be rendering the scene in Vray.

I'm currently finished with sculpting the mesh in Zbrush to a point where i'm satisfied with the details. I sculpted the earth regions and the rock/stone on the same mesh and now i am wondering how to go about texturing it.

What would be the best way to approach this asset? Should I just separate the earth from the rock by painting a mask with an appropiate alpha and creating 2 separate polygroups to make the texture maps? Or is there a better way?

Replies