Home Technical Talk

3ds Max/Maya Grid settings + Zoom

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Meteora polycounter lvl 8
I've been having some issues with the grid settings in Max and Maya. I want to set the grid settings so sending meshes over to UDK will be to scale. I've read that if the grid were something like 2 cm per grid it'll be one Unreal Unit. These settings must also match sending stuff back and forth between Max/Maya, which I suppose will be solved if the settings were set to match UDK.

However when I set the grids to be so large, it becomes a nightmare to work with. In Maya, when I zoom out too far in orthographic view, the grids become too zoomed out the whole background becomes a blank grey canvas. Is there a way so the orthographic views scale infinitely like they do in Max?

O1Wpm9s.png

OYCUXVj.png

Additionally the models make this strange... I don't know how to describe it, skewer? It happens when I set the far clip plane to something insanely large. Is there a way to solve it?

In Max, my problem is the units are set so large that it takes forever to zoom in when the perspective camera is zoomed so far out. I normally have issues with it zooming in too quickly when working with small objects. But now I have issues zooming in on the whole environment, it slows to a complete crawl. Is there a way to make the zoom function similar to Maya? And one that doesn't orbits around the centre instead of where the mouse is pointed?

My Maya grid settings right now are set in CM. Length and width, grid lines are set to 512. Subdivisions at 32. Max's display units are set at US standard's "Feet w/Fractional Inches 1/1", default units at feet. While the important system units are 1 unit = 2.0 centimetres.

Thanks in advance.

Replies