Home Technical Talk

Technique for using a textured piece in different combinations (Wood Plank)

Hey all.

I have a question and wondering the best way to go about it. If I'm planning on using some wood pieces to build an array of things from that wood what would be the best way to go about doing it if the pieces I make are already textured?

For instance, lets say I build 10 different wooden planks and I texture all of them for variance. Is there a good way to go about taking those planks and building them into walls/structures/etc while keeping the texture? If I were to try and build a wall as it is now it would be like having 'X' number of separate planks as almost a prefab. What if I wanted to take 20 planks and build a wall so I can make one modular wall? Is there some way to preserve or move around things so I can keep the same UVs (and thus textures)?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about planning for a level I'm going to make that is mostly built from wood and I'm trying to save as much time as possible if I don't have to go through each piece and texture it all separately when I can just use the same 10 planks over in different situations.

Thanks

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    that's fine but I would make sure to use only one texture sheet for all planks.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Like Rollin Said, try to stick them all onto one texture sheet.

I pretty much did this for my Escape entry. I made a wood sheet, that had a few planks, beams, poles etc... I then used them to make a rope bridge, spiral staircase, window and door frames, floors, supports etc...

Here is a pic of a few different spots
    8VGwRMs.jpg

I actually had more room on the sheet that I didn't get around to using, but having things that would fasten the pieces together, like nails, bolts, rope, pegs etc... would be useful.

Keep an eye on the polycount of some of these things if you end up using a lot of them it can jump pretty high if you use many more complicated bits.

If you are going into something like UDK I would also recommend that you make another UV set, and weld together things like you would for the lightmap, so you don't have to keep re-doing them for every bit you create from the array of objects.
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info. Is there any way you could show your texture sheet just so I have a better idea of how you split everything up and put it together for the pieces?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    D4Xf9B2.jpg
    Second row, 3rd column, nothing special, and it had room for other stuff that I was going to add to it.
  • mister_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's extremely helpful, m4dcow. I really, really appreciate you taking the time out to throw that up for me.