Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pitts is Making a Gun and This Time It's PERSONAL

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
redhonour polycounter lvl 8
For anyone like me wanting to be an artist workin on games... But that job hunt's going kinda meh... Don't get down... Get modelling!

So I've never modeled a gun before... and I'm American! Crazy, right? I thought so too.

Here's a concept I actually drew except for the photo part

tumblr_mo0a6blU5E1rghl70o1_1280.jpg

I have planned as carefully as my mind can manage to use a combination of 3DS Max, Zbrash, and Phatashap to get the BEST LOOKING result possible. Or a laughable yet awesome failure.

I'll try real hard in either case

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I like the idea behind this, almost looks like something someone inexperienced, like myself, would put together if they were in a red dawn/invasion type situation.

Looking forward to see this pan out. :thumbup:
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Awesome idea, if you want it to be a bit more realistic you'd have to change the tape holding the laser and light on though, I imagine it would be ripped after shooting and the slide pulling back? Not a problem if you're just wanting to make it look interesting though. Looks like a fun project regardless :D
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I know just enough about them moving parts to know it's a horribly unfunctional design... but I figger it's a great representation of my idiocy about firearms in general. Because my dirty secret is this is totally something I would've done a week ago before I started exploring the anatomy of guns.

I finally got a little progress to show.

tumblr_mo80jmuw3l1rghl70o1_1280.jpg

Been takin my tiiime with this one, nice and slow.

I'm in Zbrish right now and I'm kinda satisfied with that gun part... but that flashlight part needs something... And I dunno what. PATHETIC.

Meanwhile, I just got my passport. I've been jonesin to work overseas, so now I can actually travel! Of course it would help to have the job first too! Why am I telling you this? Who knows

--Pitts
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Each time you will fire with this gun, that flashlight will fall down because of the Slide part.
    Usually, flashlight are joint to the "static" body of the gun.
    :p

But nice model !
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    yeah if you would shoot with it, the flashlight would fell off...but lets say its airsoft pistol so its fine :P
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    How about tying the flashlight to the trigger guard with some kite string or something similar?

But then it would be hard to hold it.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for them suggests

Flashlight's coming off this bitch cos minds be blown

tumblr_moe8t9dgn91rghl70o1_1280.jpg

So I guess I'm making a hat to go with this baby
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I admire your enthusiasm! This is pretty badass, and the hipoly looks great so far.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont forget to chunky up the laser pointer and the little keychain thin. right now it's too tiny.

I made somethng like this, some time ago. Check my website, it has a laser pointer in a revolver :)
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! You know what they say about great minds

"Taste grrrrrrrrrrreat"

If they are zombies.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    the slide being mirrored is a little odd, it may look slightly more interesting from FPV but it's completely unrealistic so that's the trade-off.

in general i don't think zbrush the wisest choice of program for the actual gun part of this asset, but if you're going to use it, you might at least want to hold off on sculpting in the noisy surface of the polymer. you may find when you bake it that you've gone too subtle or too strong, too small or too large with it, and it's a lot harder to change that on a sculpt. you may also want to refrain from roughing up the metal edges because while that's fun to do when sculpting, it's not generally how metal actually wears down.

keep it up!
  • bigphun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What!!!? Fuck realism, the fact that you have a made for children Fisherprice flashlight attached to a pistol is a hilarious juxtaposition.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    the method of attachment is what didn't make sense, not it being a toy flashlight.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and supports. That and the booze-- really keeping my enthusiasm up.

Making a lot of those corrections right now with the gun. A bit more to go

Also started on that hat and that hat tape etc.

Trying to take all this advice to heart.. It's all sooooooooo good, yeah

tumblr_moh6nbZVAz1rghl70o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_moh6nbZVAz1rghl70o1_1280.jpg
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some time to graduate last week.

BACK AT THIS MADNESS

Texture! My favorite part! I owe lots of props to Quixel's nDo2. That shiz was MASSIVELY helpful in generating lotsa fancy pants normals and AO.

This is just the diffuse so far cos the other maps look like ass right now

And I'm still reeling from This Is the End. FUNNY FILM RIGHT THERE.

tumblr_mou0vrA8Hd1rghl70o2_1280.png

tumblr_mou0vrA8Hd1rghl70o3_1280.png

tumblr_mou0vrA8Hd1rghl70o1_1280.png
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When your skills are good enough,a job will be easy to get.
    Your model is looking very good!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    make sure to adjust the dirt overlays a bit so they don't reveal your UV seams so much (for example, paint a dirt mask, using 3dsmax's viewport canvas, or other similar tools).
    mdty.jpg
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can do, joe! (And turns out I needed to fix them smoothing groups too)

263k2fr.jpg
    s5znsl.jpg
    hsvz9u.jpg
    bdk29g.jpg

Surprise motherf****as, there's reading to do!

Put some work into the other maps and got this so far...

Is ok... but could be better. Not really feelin the shape of the tape with the peace sign on it. And that trigger needs some kinda lovin

I'm a little confused how my dirt got so dark... Didn't change the diffuse so kinda stumped. Are there ripe opportunities available to spectacularly screw up my values in the spec and gloss?

UH
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of an update

Been quite absent as of late cos... new job!

Got a contract with PING (yep, the golf company) doing environment art on a project so had to backburner a few personal projects for a bit sos I could feed myself

Loving it here and got a few updates on this and other projects coming as well...
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    The tape material doesn't read very well, looks like corrugated cardboard or something, the DEAL and peace-symbol parts in particular.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Had a look at your portfolio, And judging by your poly counts/texture sizes I'd say these pieces are directed at games (and the fact that your here :) ). And i gotta say, you really need to work on making more efficient use of your UV space. Verts counts/tris counts are becoming easier and easier for a computer to handle, But texture maps are still a sore spot for engines. You want to pack as much material in that space as possible. Right now, I'd say your wasting around 30-40% of your texture space. You'll want to work on that, especially during a job search. Otherwise. Your pieces looks pretty interesting. Definitely have a unique look um'.