Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dojo environment WIP

So I thought I'd take a crack at modelling an interior environment. I'm a complete noob with engines so this will all be very much a learning experience. I'm going to go with UDK to make this as apparently it is an easy beginner engine. I'm basing my environment around a piece of concept art that was suggested for one of the monthly noob challenges.

pQRPyLu.jpg

At the time of writing I have the paintover and block out done(The concept has a weird FOV so the blockout doesn't quite have the same positioning)

KDxhUWq.jpg

tHowMHS.png

CC is welcome and requested, thanks

Replies

• Maxi Keilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far, seems like you got the basic proportions right.

I am working on a similar scene at the moment, and I just posted my blockout too^^ Feel free to check it out.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thread ;)
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far, seems like you got the basic proportions right.

I am working on a similar scene at the moment, and I just posted my blockout too^^ Feel free to check it out.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thread ;)

Thanks! I just looked at your scene and the block out is sure a lot more detailed than mine! I'll keep an eye on that thread.

In the meantime, here's a brazier.
    ArfRKtZ.jpg
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talk about back from the dead.

Sorry for not updating in ages, have had exams. Likewise, I haven't had much time to work on this.

I finished the model for the pillars this afternoon and baked the normals, still need to texture it.

Here is a VERY quick render of the blockout with brazier and pillars in it.

0JTm56X.jpg
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to fix your proportions before you go any further, look at the concept again and see how it has a nice open feel too it.

A good way to notice this is look at the width of your stairs and the gap between them and the sides.

Your pillars could do with having more space between them as well, elongate your scene, at the moment it seems very squished :)

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing this progress
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryper wrote: »
    I think you need to fix your proportions before you go any further, look at the concept again and see how it has a nice open feel too it.

A good way to notice this is look at the width of your stairs and the gap between them and the sides.

Your pillars could do with having more space between them as well, elongate your scene, at the moment it seems very squished :)

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing this progress

Thanks for the help, I double checked and you're absolutely right, it's squashed as hell. At first I just attributed that to the blockout of the railing making it look more squashed. I fixed up the proportions and put in a character for a size reference, I hope it's beginning to look nice and grandiose. (also I forgot to move one of the lights, which makes the pillar on the right look so wrong)

Is it looking better? If so, i'm going to start work on the drum.

Kyuivx6.jpg
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that scale is looking much better already. Just move your outer walls back so there is more room between them and the pillars, and maybe make your ceiling higher then it will open it up even more :)
  • RathSkeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

So this afternoon I modeled and textured the large drum, and the railing, and textured the pillars. I played with the colours for a while and eventually went with the rich red wood with yellow accents to go with an Asian feeling, which deviates from the concept a bit but I hope will serve as a nice unifying theme through the scene.

In that vein, I also used a Chinese dragon pattern for the drum, as opposed to the concept, which looks more Sikh/Indian.

UmGXpXp.jpg

uROZk0e.jpg

Next up are the chains connecting the drum to the wall, and then the staircase.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The drum could use some more sides if the camera can get as close as in the first picture; I'd say at least 24 or even 32 sides instead of the current 16. The same is also true of the braziers. Unless you are targeting a mobile platform, don't be afraid to spend polygons where they are needed.