Home Technical Talk

UVW problem!

Oooo-Kay, well basicaly I put the model togetehr and I'm like "Fuck yes, this model is going so well!" .. Then it comes time to unwrap the UV on the model and I gaze into the UV editor to be greeted by a disgusting web of random.

Below is my beautiful model that I love so much.
3fRCx.jpg

And here is the disgusting UV that I have no idea how to fix.

3fRNx.png

Replies

• sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    You should be able to unwrap everything below into one UV island on its own, if not into several pieces. At the moment the UVs are unworkable, so select the faces in the UV Editor (viewport might also work) and goto Options > Flatten Mapping.

From there you'll have to sew the UV borders together. If you can't get it to stitch properly without significant stretching, it is better to leave it as its own UV island.
  • Kukkitero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora wrote: »
    You should be able to unwrap everything below into one UV island on its own, if not into several pieces. At the moment the UVs are unworkable, so select the faces in the UV Editor (viewport might also work) and goto Options > Flatten Mapping.

From there you'll have to sew the UV borders together. If you can't get it to stitch properly without significant stretching, it is better to leave it as its own UV island.

Thank you so so so so so so much.

Flatten mapping fixed everything, you are entitled to one E-Cookie!
    Cookie.gif

Here's my latest problem though.

Is there anyway to get this more.. Organized?
    3fYZO.png
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Ah yeah... that becomes a problem, especially with lots of polygons.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head to organize it, I'm not particularly familiar with 3ds Max. I look into selectively mapping out the UV islands. The grip of the sword for example, would be its own UV island. The pummel its own, the crossguard its own. Its best if you could try and merge them as one UV island to avoid texture seams, but if its unavoidable to stretch then it may be easier to just have them as separate islands.

550px-Sword_parts.svg.png

So select all the edges of the handle and then use whatever UV mapping tools 3ds Max has that would be most suitable (I presume a cylindrical one).
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Youtube a tutorial on how to UV map, because clearly you don't know how to do it. It's difficult to explain in text.
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message