• Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    To be totally honest

Your stuff is really mixed quality

The mech is just bad, I wouldnt show it off. The design is just not aesthetic at all, and its neither detailed nor is the texture or presentation something nice, and it dosnt make sense. It was a fine training, no work is ever lost.

The mask is cool to show off, why horizontal format ? Dont take a grey background. Get AO on, maybe bake a cavity map.
    No grey background, do a nearly black one atleast, gives a nice contrast.
    Values are very important in a composition

The bee has bad lighting making it look like old CG
    The cat thing looks like leather , both ok tho

The squid is pretty cool , the colors are not perfect (color theory is important) but the design is nice and it looks good

The small robot is decent , except the pistol, the dimensions are off. And gloss on every lens ? Blood on chest but not on the head ? Always check if things make sense. (Blur on the desk and not on him? I know its a hdri but its a example)

The traffic wall is really cool in a stylized kind of way, like that one

Keep on pumpin!
  • Andyjonescreative
    Shrike wrote: »
    Your stuff is really mixed quality

The mech is just bad, dont show it off. The design is just not aesthetic at all, and its neither detailed nor is the texture or presentation something nice, it dosnt make sense anyways. It was fine training, no work is ever lost.

The mask is cool to show off, why horizontal format ? Dont take a grey background. Get AO on, maybe bake a cavity map.
    No grey background, do a nearly black one atleast, gives a nice contrast.

The bee has bad lighting making it look like bad CG
    The cat thing looks like leather , both ok tho

The squid is pretty cool , the colors are not perfect (color theory is important) but the design is nice and it looks good

The small robot is decent , except the pistol, the dimensions are off. And gloss on every lens ? Blood on chest but not on the head ? Always check if things make sense. (Blur on the desk and not on him? I know its a hdri but its a example)

The traffic wall is really cool in a stylized kind of way, like that one

Keep on pumpin!

I would say that some of this is just different tastes, but thanks for the impute.
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I would say that some of this is just different tastes, but thanks for the impute.

Eh, I'd say his critique was really fair.

The mech sucks, BUT THAT'S OKAY. It's good practice! Make another one based off an actual concept, and you'll notice how much better it will look.

Like he said, mixed quality of work and style going on.

You definitely have what it takes.

I'd really like to see you take another stab at a mech, because I imagine there will be a leap in quality.

Edit: I like the design of the weird cat thing. Your last two images you just posted are pretty cool too!
  • Andyjonescreative
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Eh, I'd say his critique was really fair.

The mech sucks, BUT THAT'S OKAY. It's good practice! Make another one based off an actual concept, and you'll notice how much better it will look.

Like he said, mixed quality of work and style going on.

You definitely have what it takes.

I'd really like to see you take another stab at a mech, because I imagine there will be a leap in quality.

Edit: I like the design of the weird cat thing. Your last two images you just posted are pretty cool too!

well i cant argue with that. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    that cat thing is really really creepy. very nice!
    i like that and the squidboy very much, but i agree on the mixed quality.
    anyways keep posting!
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking at your stuff man, you seem to have an awesomely creative mind, and a drive to do it. And you also have a great understanding of your tools, but you are severely limited by your fundamentals!

The anatomy on robot girl is just off, and it's strange seeing that mixed in with otherwise decent modelling. I would really love to see you do some anatomy studies and try and work past that.
  • Andyjonescreative
    464839_4029005772902_1438529088_o_1.jpg

some acrylic just for fun

400503_3028799288365_1148339163_n.jpg
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    some great ideas....kinda dig the cat-bee-pug thing...looks like you are cranking this stuff out, slow down a little and take your time on the next piece perhaps just to get it to a more polished level?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re: Anatomy

Pay serious attention to proportions, bone placement, muscle placement, landmarks, form. I could go on like this for hours.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but if this is about improvement like you say it is you have to start paying attention to literally everything in the image.

There is a reason why we draw and make from scratch, and that is so that we as artists can have complete control over everything that we make. every form, stroke, bump, blemish and bit of noise is under out direct control. With this power also comes the responsibility of having to care about everything.

It feels like you are only focusing on certain aspects and ignoring everything else. If you want to compete above the local level you quite simply have to stop doing this.

I'm being super harsh here because I see an artist who has quite simply the wrong approach to art, and if you don't realize this you will never get beyond this stage.

Now one thing with this paint-over, I'll say that to point, part doing it is probably more to do with giving you a reason to listen to what i have to say than to teach anything, as there is so much information that you need to pickup that i simply cannot convey it in a quick paint-over and example image.

Step up to the plate.

Stop rushing your work.

Care about everything in your image.

~Sincerely, Murry Lancashire, Concerned artist.

lKih66a.jpg?1?4620
    lKih66a
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Andyjonescreative
    some older 2d stuff

330944_2869623109060_1310326327_o.jpg

226669_1984086051187_7374678_n.jpg

225567_1984091811331_4331180_n.jpg

227421_1984086691203_7940895_n.jpg

221911_1982641855083_7930881_n.jpg

270997_2099988748682_7714155_n.jpg
  • Andyjonescreative
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your work confuses me, A lot of is is really good, good forms, well painted. But then parts just are a bit strange.

What pieces are from reference and what parts are from imagination?

I also don't get your goal posting here. You dismiss a lot of criticism or just plain old ignore it then go on and post more work. Are you just trying to show off your work because you are perfectly happy with your skill level?
  • Andyjonescreative
    Muzz wrote: »
    Your work confuses me, A lot of is is really good, good forms, well painted. But then parts just are a bit strange.

What pieces are from reference and what parts are from imagination?

I also don't get your goal posting here. You dismiss a lot of criticism or just plain old ignore it then go on and post more work. Are you just trying to show off your work because you are perfectly happy with your skill level?

Well a lot of this stuff is past work I just wanted to share so maybe thats why your not seeing a lot of changes, Im not sure what makes you think I dont take the advise given. I def do. This last post was the most recent thing and i did try to use the crits here going into it. I dont think that because parts are " a bit strange" that it should confuse you. We are all on a journey and no I will never be happy with my skill level. to become complacent is death to an artist.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's mostly that you don't respond to people. Of course I'm going to think i you are ignoring feedback if you don't acknowledge my points.

It's about a discussion, and talking about what we are trying to do as much as showing off work.

I welcome you to the forums and hope you stick around and continue. Like what pieces are you working on right now? What do you feel are your weak points, what are your goals?
  • Andyjonescreative
    thanks for the info
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Whoa, I'm complacement sometimes, and I'm not dead. That is totally an unfair statement.

and on Muzz's point, this is less like dA and more like Polycount, where everyone is shooting each other. It's awesome to kind of present things as a WIP as well as finished items.

Are you planning to do any game-art ready work, or just concentrate on animation/film sculpts?
  • Andyjonescreative
    Whoa, I'm complacement sometimes, and I'm not dead. That is totally an unfair statement.

and on Muzz's point, this is less like dA and more like Polycount, where everyone is shooting each other. It's awesome to kind of present things as a WIP as well as finished items.

Are you planning to do any game-art ready work, or just concentrate on animation/film sculpts?

Im not really planning on game art. I have a degree in Sculpture so this is really just a fun way of using my education. I have a great job right now and Im happy to stay here for a long time. Im a Sr. 3d modeler for an ad agency. Its a great mix of challenges. Maybe someday I would go off on my own or possibly into film stuff. Ive always fantasied
    about being a concept artist, but havent we all. I know that that is a long way off but maybe someday.
  • Andyjonescreative
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    i like you work and your drawing is very good but i have an issue with the model of the women in the suit.

she looks to unrealistic as her waist is to thin plus her boobs would not be that big given here bodyframe.

on a similar note: i do not understand why the games industry and movie tend to always show women as skinny big boobed girls they always look so unrealistic im looking forward to the day i see normal sized women in video games as they are a lot more pleasing to the eye they do not look so fake, plus i think men would loose some the the stick they get for the girls in video games haha.
  • Andyjonescreative
    i like you work and your drawing is very good but i have an issue with the model of the women in the suit.

she looks to unrealistic as her waist is to thin plus her boobs would not be that big given here bodyframe.

on a similar note: i do not understand why the games industry and movie tend to always show women as skinny big boobed girls they always look so unrealistic im looking forward to the day i see normal sized women in video games as they are a lot more pleasing to the eye they do not look so fake, plus i think men would loose some the the stick they get for the girls in video games haha.

Thank you and stay tuned for more women and Ill keep the proportions more in line.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha sorry i like to rant. but i do think a more natural look for women look so much better lol. and looking forward to your new work :)
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I like the work. Keep in mind that just because someone gives you feedback, does not mandate you have to respond. After reading the feedback given, you can take what you know or feel you need to work on.

General feedback aside, frankly, I found a few comments on here downright disrespectful and arrogant. You're on the right track, and I hope to see more of your work. Keep in mind that while the elbow being in line with the naval shows off a level of understanding, most people looking at your work and saying "I like that" aren't going to care about the elbow lining up to the naval. As long as you're showing purpose for doing things differently, it seems you're showing how you can be more creative.
  • Andyjonescreative
    alvordr wrote: »
    I like the work. Keep in mind that just because someone gives you feedback, does not mandate you have to respond. After reading the feedback given, you can take what you know or feel you need to work on.

General feedback aside, frankly, I found a few comments on here downright disrespectful and arrogant. You're on the right track, and I hope to see more of your work. Keep in mind that while the elbow being in line with the naval shows off a level of understanding, most people looking at your work and saying "I like that" aren't going to care about the elbow lining up to the naval. As long as you're showing purpose for doing things differently, it seems you're showing how you can be more creative.

thanks man, Ilke your site and that makes this comment mean even more.
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I know you said this wasn't for games, but I've heard people say you have to be accurate in modeling, while there are AAA games out there that obviously don't require it:

http://cdn4.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/204030/ss_0bea2ccaac42f706085d20e754b0e86d6df441aa.1920x1080.jpg?t=1346792581

http://arcadesushi.com/tomb-raider-prequel-comic-coming-from-dark-horse/

...notice the elbow isn't in line with the naval...LOL! In film, it likely matters more. This isn't to say that feedback like that is bad, but like I said before, it matters only to those that care.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm...

Alcordr, while you and Andy keep this childish mindset you will have a lot of trouble competing on the worldwide market.

Alcordr, I'm sorry but your really need to step down off your high horse. Your resume does not match your portfolio at ALL. Your modelling is basic and inefficient yet you list all these programs in your resume like you have been a senior character artist at blizzard for 5 years.

You shouldn't find the worst commercial art you can find and use that as a bench mark, that is markedly idiotic. (and yes Lara Crofts arms are too short in that image)

The elbow navel thing is a rough guideline that works in 90% of people and characters despite stylization, because the human brain looks are proportions in a relative way. How could a chibi character not look completely messed up any other way?

I'm done being polite. Maybe a wake-up call is what you need, stop overestimating your skill level and actually compare your work to the industry standard.

It's guys like you two that have the hardest time, you've been doing this for years, and to be told that your work doesn't match the amount of time you have put, it can be completely heart breaking. There is no easy way to say this stuff.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    muzz, just walk away and let them get on with it...

EDIT I should add that what I mean by that is you weren't going to get anywhere with them no matter how much effort you put in...something that appears to have held true since I wrote that
  • Andyjonescreative
    Muzz wrote: »
    Erm...

Alcordr, while you and Andy keep this childish mindset you will have a lot of trouble competing on the worldwide market.

Alcordr, I'm sorry but your really need to step down off your high horse. Your resume does not match your portfolio at ALL. Your modelling is basic and inefficient yet you list all these programs in your resume like you have been a senior character artist at blizzard for 5 years.

You shouldn't find the worst commercial art you can find and use that as a bench mark, that is markedly idiotic. (and yes Lara Crofts arms are too short in that image)

The elbow navel thing is a rough guideline that works in 90% of people and characters despite stylization, because the human brain looks are proportions in a relative way. How could a chibi character not look completely messed up any other way?

I'm done being polite. Maybe a wake-up call is what you need, stop overestimating your skill level and actually compare your work to the industry standard.

It's guys like you two that have the hardest time, you've been doing this for years, and to be told that your work doesn't match the amount of time you have put, it can be completely heart breaking. There is no easy way to say this stuff.

few things,

I didnt roll in here acting like i knew more than anyone, as that I have only been working in 3d for a year and a half ( not for years as you stated). Im not sure where all this anger comes from but I think it is misdirected. I just wanted to share some art.

You have made your point man, you dont dig my stuff, thats cool. You dont have to look at it.

lastly I really try not to pass judgment on other people's art, but your chops dont match your bark. Maybe if you spent more time working on your own stuff and less time thrashing other people you would be better. Just a thought. lets have this be the end.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    I really dig the arty quality to your stuff. Maybe PC isn't the top venue for this, but what the hell, this forum is for pimping, and I'd love to see more.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    My suggestion is for you to focus one 2-3 categories and get really good at those. Your work is very all over the places. A Jack of all trades in this manner is really not useful.

Ask yourself, what do you enjoy the most? If game art isn't your thing, who cares? This is a game art forum so you'll get a lot of confused responses from people.

Focus and don't quit!
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, your work is awesome. Better than anything I've made.
    I dont know what Muzz is talking about? Unless he's a god at 3d art and we just dont know it :X :P
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonyd927 wrote: »
    Dude, your work is awesome. Better than anything I've made.
    I dont know what Muzz is talking about? Unless he's a god at 3d art and we just dont know it :X :P
    Please don't.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Please don't.

It was sarcasm bud. :thumbup:
    My work sucks. <- this is true.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It makes me so frustrated to see stuff like this. Here is a completely average modeler, ignoring sound advice. You might or might not see the merit in Muzz's work, but nobody can deny the advice he is giving, and the time he took to do the proportions paint-over.

And the sheer purposeful ignorance of saying 'these professionals didn't do so good so I don't have to either'... christ.

I agree with Muzz as well, that there is something strange about your work. In 2d you do some really great drawings, really good stuff, and then in 3d it's just... well it's not good. In 2d you have a sense of proportion and anatomy and movement, and in 3d you lack all of these qualities.

I would be interested to see your references for the 2d drawings, if you would be so kind as to provide them, to see where you're coming from in your transition from 2d to 3d.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    I think you guys giving advice need to take a step back & watch how you word your advice /criticism sometimes.

Although the crit is good... listen to Seth - "muzz, just walk away and let them get on with it..."

Comeback with a cooler head & who knows maybe after you give somebody sometime they might have had a chance to implement the advice.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw my last post was mostly in reference to Alcordr's silly post, i should have made that much more clear.

The problem here isn't the work, there is a bunch of great stuff going on, and i stated that quite a few times.
    It's the mindset behind the work, and they way they receive criticism, as well as the forum etiquette being displayed.

But you know in hindsight i think in many ways you may be right. I think the manner in which i speak is perfectly fine for people well adjusted to professional art forums, but for new guys like andy perhaps i need to rethink how i approach it.
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz,

The way you choose your words speaks for itself. The only reference made to your comment was about the elbow in line with the naval. The reaction you're giving shows how self-proclaimed professionals sometimes can't take what they dish out and my comment wasn't nearly as rude. I've learned to value my work, regardless of what others say, but to still take advice, where it is necessary. This is what I was saying to Andy and you take it personally. My own ability to take edits I've made based on what others have said in other threads of my work appears in other threads. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that's quite simply all it is...your opinion.

This wasn't about my work, nor was I purporting to be better than those on here. You talk about childishness, and yet direct flames at others on here, instead of allowing Andy to choose what he does with his own thread.

I also find it interesting that you're comments are so negative about certain pieces, but then we see stuff like this from you:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61556&page=4

or this:

http://www.muzzoid.com/

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing expert in any of this. I'll pit Andy's work here over this, any day.

It's also interesting how you down even commercial art that has made more money and still a viable franchise over whatever you think you have that "competes with the world market." This is the last I'll respond to you on this thread, as it's not the purpose of Andy's thread and it's his work that should get the focus.

@Andy,

Sorry for this, but it had to be stated. I wish you great luck, and I look forward to seeing more from you.
  • FrostWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to tour with the Royal Shakespeare Company for 10 years to know a play is bad.