Home General Discussion

Recommended Courses I could Apply to Blender?

Hello everybody, long time forum lurker in here. I am in awe at the incredible stuff you post everyday, so thanks for the inspiration.

I am learning 3D modelling and traditional art on my own. It is something I always wanted to do, especially to make (very small scale) games in Unity3D (which I use also at work) - and eventually, if I gain enough skill, I would also like to freelance in the far future. But I am not a kid anymore, so doing my own stuff is my priority (otherwise I feel I will never have a chance to do it), as right now I have another job that pays the bills.

I have been learning Blender for a long time, and in the past 2 months I have been studying it daily and trying to do my own models and renders. I am still learning, since Blender has so much stuff in it, but I know the software well enough.

Anyhow, I have a huge, huge problem finding professionally written tutorials specific to the platform. I have seen the selection of DVDs at Gnomon, the tutorials at Digitaltutors, and the tutorials at Eat3D. Many of them seem great, especially because they come from professionals in the industry. But I cannot find similar stuff going on for Blender. CGCookie has some good stuff, but most of it seems limited to high poly modelling and there is very little going on about professional texturing (especially of environments).

So I would like to ask if there is any tutorial/DVD/course you went through and that you would recommend, that you think I could apply also to Blender. Many of them are very attractive - but since they are not cheap, I do not want to waste money on something I cannot use.

I am well aware that the horrible results I am getting right now on my own stuff come from my lack of artistic skills, not just lack of tutorials, but I am trying to work on that as well.

What I need is just a bit of guidance.

Thanks all for reading this!

Replies