Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Beowulf

Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined here as a promise to myself. I'm a 21-year old student from Ohio with an Associate's in Digital Graphics and working towards a Bachelor's in Animation, so I'm trying to improve all of my digital media skills. I'll be posting 3d work, as well as pen and marker sketches and whatever digital painting I can squeeze in. Here's a recent 3d model I did, as well as a semi-recent digital sketch and pen sketch. I'll upload recent stuff once I hook up my scanner and start working on some exercises and studies.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I forgot to say, please please please give me critique. No one can grow without honest feedback about their work, least of all me, so please gimme feeback.

59d36f7c6e72ed5c1df4e6aa77b77974-d39nh4q.jpg
c99d36c3d850c320e93b346f2167c27c-d39ngzu.jpg
napoleonic_wars___chessboard_by_corey_roth-d39nbcv.jpg

Replies

• SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    i like the portrait. you have placed down values with a hard edged brush which is good. but choose areas to soften with a sof edge brush, to add interest .

to work on your penmanship, think about line thickness relating to the distance of objects. closest being the thickest line.

keep at it, 2d skillz is a life long journey of visual thinking
  • Beowulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SSquir33, I'll have to look for that when I try to digital paint. I've been hearing more and more lately that drawing is nothing more than learning how to really see the world, so I guess what you said makes sense haha.

feb_16_by_dalamar789-d3a05bc.jpgfeb_18_by_dalamar789-d3a0653.jpg
  • Beowulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, it's been too long since I used this. Here's something I'm currently working on, hopefully I'll be able to share more of what I'm doing so I can get some good feedback.

a weapon I'm working on, based off this concept by Jos Kao. It's mostly for learning's sake, as my classes haven't really covered sub-D modeling, and I want to apply what I learn from this to some weapons for my portfolio. I'm making a few modifications to the design as I go, and trying to clean up messy topology so a low poly is easier to make.

gunyy.jpg
  • Beowulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some zbrush poop while I try to transition to Z from Mudbox.

zbrushi.jpg
  • Beowulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more junk I've been working on. I began work on a wood create texture and I've been doing more ZBrush practice. Once I get further along on the game environment I'm working on, I'll post some of that as well.

cratediffbig.jpg

nosesu.jpg
  • Beowulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is for a dungeon I'm working on. I'm trying to hand paint it all as I go, because it's a skill I'd very much like to develop and I suck at it. Any tips, crits, etc, are appreciated.

ElHgBR6.jpg
    zxsU2dV.jpg
    The bricks are just there as a size check for my walls, don't mind them.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Nice texture work on those props c: The colours are really nice!