Home Technical Talk

Where to begin?

I'm sure this has been asked many times. Perhaps a proper sticky should be in order?

I'm new to 3D Modeling and I don't know where to begin. I'm using Blender and watching their intro series to the program. Where do I go from there? Which tutorials do you recommend?

I'm an absolute beginner to 3D Modeling. Is there a Beginner's Handbook somewhere that tells you what you should do?

I hope I'm not being too 'stupid' by asking these questions. I just really do not know where to begin, other than starting with the Blender videos.

I want to be able to make something like this one day.

Replies

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I started with basic primitives so I could learn and feel comfortable with the software UI first.

After that I learned how to make a real world object, a high poly barrel in my case.
    Then how to make the barrel low poly.

Then the fun part: UV mapping (can be infuriating at first) :poly142:

After I had my low poly uv mapped it was on to high poly to low poly baking. Taking the detail from the high poly barrel and applying it to the low poly barrel with a normal map, I use xnormal for high poly to low poly baking.

Once you are confident with the above you will be surprised how quickly you can create more complex objects and remember it's all just a process with a large learning curve.
  • Pathologist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pathologist polycounter lvl 4
    Ashamed and proud at the same time, for me it all started here:
    http://www.renegadecommunity.com/page.php?link=mod_docs1
    I was a real addict to the C&C games and C&C Renegade got me into 3d modelling, rigging and animating.
    And now, 11 years later, I work at a company for almost 4 years where we do Virtual Reality and Architectural Visualizations.

What I have always told people: Find an easy to learn program, for me it was GMax, it has gotten me into 3ds max and never changed since, even learned MaxScript along the way to perfection :).

I have to agree with repete, those are the exact same steps I did for learning how to 3d model!
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/ has a lot of great tutorials for all levels.

Learn the hotkeys. Blender has a good set of hotkeys built in, its super fast to work if you know them fluently.

Blender has a lot of other functions that can allow you to get a handle on all the basic aspects of 3d, like a sculpting mode, animation, rendering/compositing, materials and baking. Of course, its not the best at everything, so eventually you'll probably want to branch out to other apps like xnormal, zbrush, marmoset etc.

One thing I've found in modeling/sculpting is that simplest is usually the best, for many things, so understanding basic fundamentals is really key. Like, even a complex gun is going to be made primarily using the same basic tools over and over.
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    Check out some of the youtube tutorials.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+3d+beginner+tutorial

Also create something simple such as a wine glass or something very basic (gun suppressor).
    It may not get you from beginner to professional within seconds but it's a step.

One thing which I have found out is too watch other tutorials but for other software.
    So for example once you get to grips with using blender and you feel like you understand the principle/ terminology look at 3DS Max, Maya tutorials.

While they won't be for the software you'll be using (blender) you may pick up some tricks/ tips on how to do things (topology, texturing ...etc).
  • LiquidumDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If I were to spend money on a learning resource, what would you recommend? I'm thinking about a Blender/CG Cookie Subscription for all of the videos.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    And don't do like me, i waited 5 or 6 years before i ever did any UVing and color work. Modeling is fine but its not where your skills should stop.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. If I were to spend money on a learning resource, what would you recommend? I'm thinking about a Blender/CG Cookie Subscription for all of the videos.

Why not just use youtube, its full of resources and for free over that. If your looking for modeling type "modeling in blender", "texturing in photoshop" "uving in 3dsmax" etc, etc, etc.
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Like Peanut said, there's some great stuff for free out there on youtube/tutorial sites.

If you WERE going to pay for one, I think Digital Tutors is pretty good. Eat 3D and 3D Motive are great resources too. They're the only ones I really know of because I get access to them on my course.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    DT, E3D and 3DM don't have any Blender tutorials as far I know.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    if you want to get a start on characters, im old school and started out with the Joan of Arc tutorial, and also the Swordmaster tutorial. now i believe they used 3DS Max on it but you can transfer those techniques to any 3d package with practice. good luck!
  • LiquidumDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input, guys (and girls?)

Just one more question. With my schooling, I got the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Ultimate 2013. (Check link for included software.)

Obviously I'm not at the 3D portion in my school. I won't be until next month and that's only 3D Foundations. Two months after that is when I'll be starting Model Creation, but I want a jump-start.

My question is this: Would it be better to learn Blender, or 3DS Max?

Obviously, I'll be using Photoshop and Autodesk for my school, but is it easier to learn Blender and then transfer to 3DS? Or just start with 3DS?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Just start with 3ds max.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    3ds Max and Maya are the industry standards, also depends on which field you may be going into. While Blender is an exceptional program it does not see as much usage as those two programs.

Also depends on what kind of field you're going into. Some programs have stronger presence in each field. Mind you, a software is simply a tool. Regardless of the software, you'll learn the fundamentals that will be applied to any software you use. The tools may differ, but the principles will remain the same.

General gist I get (not absolute):

Arch Viz: 3ds Max
    Film: Maya
    Television: Maya
    Video Games: 3ds Max & Maya
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Japanese video games: Softimage :P
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your mom: 3d studio kitchen ;P
  • LiquidumDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, mates. With my schooling, I get a subscription to Lynda.com -- HUGE video learning site. Almost anything you'd want to know, computer-wise.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Japanese video games: Softimage :P

Definitely. I don't think any other program has any presence. I left it out simply because well, I didn't think the OP was thinking about working in Japan. There are studios that do use Softimage in North America/Europe, either fully or just for Softimage's ICE system.