Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

merc-ai's cyberpunk WIP thread

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Polycount has been a great source of knowledge and inspiration for me, so I figured this would be the best place to go for professional feedback, so I can improve my skillset as artist and make a better-looking game.
I am currently developing GSH, an isometric cyberpunk game in UDK. I also intend to make portfolio-quality versions for some key models from game, like this first piece.

It is a high-poly version of Long Range Rifle, shot in Marmoset. The design is my own, with SRS 308 as main inspiration.
Cheers!

HCRCwsY.jpg

Replies

• David_Sola
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David_Sofa thanks for the tip and link. After reading it, I have made adjustments on edges of sniper rifle (no pic), and tried to keep edges less hard on the next high-poly mesh.

--

I wanted to practice more hard-surface high-poly modeling, so I made a Tactical Shotgun (based on Remington 870). This time I tried to keep edges less hard and pay more attention to small details. Here is the result:

lVNx8mD.jpg

EfYC9Qw.gif
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Overall, great resemblance, though I would use more seperate objects in your modeling, such as the shell release cover and grip. There is zero need to model everything in one piece in a case like this. It will result in better bakes as well when using separate pieces, that way you can do explode style bakes to get better cages.

Also, your pressure plate on the fore-vertical grip is way off. You have a cylinder just sitting next to the grip. Real pressure plates are flat, slightly puffed out rectangular boxes. Normally some sort of pressure plate wrapped in a rubber heat shrink type cover. Other than that, the actual resemblance is very good. I also, would flip down the front sight. Why have the front up, in the way of the relfex sight and have the rear sight down?

Good job though, those are just nitpicky critiques.
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.
    I will flip down the front sight (wasn't sure how it's used with reflex sight) and try to have more separated objects for future models, where it makes sense. I'll also remodel the pressure plate to something more realistic.

I'll post an update with pics sometimes next week, when I get free time to create the low-poly shotgun.
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update, I've made the low-poly mesh (7829 tri) and baked the normal map. I did not implement the in-game Info page yet (where you can rotate & examine any item), but hoping this level of detail will suffice for a one-man indie game :poly131:

Here are some shots:

KR4PLmb.jpg

02TdchE.jpg