Home Technical Talk

Textures GPU and VRAM

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
god3ila polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone!

I've got some noob's questions here :

I would like to learn more about how the textures are used by GPUs and how is it stored in VRam, mainly to improve my personal knowledge, and obviously become more efficient on my works.

Depending of the platform we're developing on, is the size in pixel more important than the size in kb/mb?
I've also read something about keeping a consistent size between maps to avoid VRam's fragmentation. What does it means?
What about bandwidth?

I always try to keep my works as low and optimized as possible. But I wanted to know in details the reason why am I doing it all day long :D

I want to see the matrix.
matrix+code.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Those kind of issues are a lot more engine dependent optimizations. As an artist, your main concerns should be keeping a consistent pixel density, and texture size limitations are going to be less of an issue in this upcoming console generation, we are going from 512mb of ram to 8 gigs. A lot of optimizations also depends on what type of game it is.

This thread by SkankerZero/Jesse Sosa has lots of crazy optimizations:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91509
  • god3ila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god3ila polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for your answer. I'm actually working on mobile plateform, it's a bit tricky, that's one of the reason why I wanted to learn more information about how CPU and GPU processing all of this.