Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gunslinger Luigi - Finished(Beginner Requesting Critique/Tips)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone, started working through a modeling tutorial,(was going to post WIP as i worked..but didnt really feel like stopping lol.) anyway i started him before but got to the hands and everything was crazy looking , so decided to scrap the whole thing and start again, this time taking my time and paying more attention to what he was saying.

probably should have started off with something simple? idk. anyway he came out okay i guess, just a lot of topology etc that needs fixing, cause my mesh is just messy. i dont know what else to say really, since i was following a tutorial(basically copying what he was doing, but i learned a lot so this week i will be working on my own of course using a ref sheet/concept of something.
So that's all i was working on last week,(after posting replies about my apple)
probably 3 days and a half, for the actual work time.staying up late Fri, like 2am in the morning just to finish the thing...
Is there a way i can take screenshots of my viewport? so i won't have to render the WIP shots.
thanks

oh yeah and if anyone's going to post any software related tips , i'm using Maya now,(it just felt more comfortable for me then Max.)

777b0fdac299d1a1b4f8e4353edcece6-d67lgx1.png

2701a7fce2e7ff27c2004a17ce601e25-d67lh1b.png

5bfa40f208590da861a968032adb72d6-d67lh56.png

d9be2d72c1e26714d5f63f2d8f7137e7-d67lh8n.png

Replies

• Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Is there a way i can take screenshots of my viewport? so i won't have to render the WIP shots.

Print Screen :).

Looks cool so far. I think you have way too many polys in the mesh though, way too many edge loops that don't support the silhouette of the mesh or are necessary for animation. This is really obvious down the centre of the mesh where you seem to have a lot of edge loops right next to each other.

Also, you seem to be missing some edges near his bottom giving you those n-gons which shouldn't be present in your mesh.

Regarding proportions, I really like this face but would consider looking at his lower arms, the silhouette transition between his wrists and hands looks really weird.

arm-anatomy-george-bridgman.jpg

Good luck mate.
  • Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    The proportion seems to be a mix of Chicken and Human.
    Was that the intention ?
  • sventhors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great... The seam in the middle showing a little when mirroring... Might disappear when add texture or soft edge... Great job:)
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work so far.What're your textures?
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Print Screen :).

Looks cool so far. I think you have way too many polys in the mesh though, way too many edge loops that don't support the silhouette of the mesh or are necessary for animation. This is really obvious down the centre of the mesh where you seem to have a lot of edge loops right next to each other.

Also, you seem to be missing some edges near his bottom giving you those n-gons which shouldn't be present in your mesh.

Regarding proportions, I really like this face but would consider looking at his lower arms, the silhouette transition between his wrists and hands looks really weird.

arm-anatomy-george-bridgman.jpg

Good luck mate.

k i thought something was funny with that area, thanks for the tips
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work so far.What're your textures?
    Thanks.

No textures yet, My main focus is on learning to model well first,i want to get the hang of the modelling concepts/basics first before i move into more detailed thing. And from what info iv'e seen so far on texturing, lol that mesh needs to be quite clean or it could cause some funky business during the UV mapping process.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer wrote: »
    The proportion seems to be a mix of Chicken and Human.
    Was that the intention ?
    lol to a certain extent mainly with the nose.
  • sventhors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep it up. I can't wait to see more 3D modeling... Look at uvLayout. It is a lot easier to texture with this. They have great student price for it.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sventhors wrote: »
    Keep it up. I can't wait to see more 3D modeling... Look at uvLayout. It is a lot easier to texture with this. They have great student price for it.

Thanks , will be checking it out.