Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

spr mark12

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
joeriv polycounter lvl 7
some notes:
-Holes in the handguard will be capped for the bake, but I prefer to have them open for the hp render
-Need to fix up some edges (mainly scope holder/backup sights), but I'v been looking at this highpoly for a while now and want to do the lp/unwrap first for variation :p

m4hpjoeriv1.jpg
m4hpjoeriv2.jpg
m4hpjoeriv3.jpg

also tried out some other stocks, but preferred the A2 in the end.
teststock.jpg

Replies

• Matīss_Sola
    Looks really clean to me.Great job!
    One question-is it rendered in Mental Ray?
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    did a bit work on the LP.

Reason I posted is that at this rate I expect this to hit 15-16k, and I don't realy know if that is still okay. (with 10k for the body, 5-6k for the scope + riser/holders).

Mainly the front part of the gun/scope wich have most time put it, but I'm kind of wondering if I haven't gone overboard with the amount of segments, or missed any areas that could be cut down a lot already without sacrificing quality to much.

(the whole front part is 1 piece, so under the rail covers there is basicly nothing)

wirew.jpg
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    very clean high poly, edge widths look to be very consistent, a few areas look a bit thin but nothing too concerning. the whole thing just -feels- like a solid object, which means you did your edge widths at least 85% consistently.

i'm not sure you'll need 15k tris in the end. finish the lp and post it before you uv, i'll point out areas you can optimize.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    thanks man for taking a look at it.

version 1 of the lowpoly, turned out a bit heavier then expected.

the whole thing just without scope + bipod is 10k
    the bipod (2k)+scope (6k) add another 8k, for a 18k in total t-t

after some cleanup I can usually knock off 1-1.5k, but that would still leave me with quite a lot :p

wire1t.jpg
    wire2.jpg
    78601734.jpg
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    spr1.jpg

1. angle and widen the bevels on the high poly and most of these details can be baked to just a simple cylinder. it's far enough away from the camera you can do that.
    2. reduce the amount of sides here. it's overkill.
    3. you can reduce the amount of sides on these a lot.
    4. these are a big waste of tris and will be a pain in the ass to UV. do these floating on top of the rail and bake the bottom one down to just one flat object.
    4.5. this rail is incorrect, compare the rail shapes to front rail unit. also do these floating.
    5. you can remove these bevels, since the ends are going to be a different UV shell anyway.
    6. could be optimized, just make sure it bakes well first.
    7. quite wasteful
    8. float these knob things, don't cut them into the scope mount
    9. the trigger can be simplified on the low poly
    10. these don't need to be cut in to the receiver and will probably give you bake issues.
    11. looks like this could be optimized but i can't really tell.
    12. overkill, you don't need this many sides here. also the edge on the end probably won't bake right.
    13. can be optimized
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Haven't gotten a chance to thank you for the feedback, since I didn't really have any updates.
    Managed to knock off 2.7k tri's with those points, so thanks a lot for the feedback.

Anyway, found some time today to bake it down (well, actually taking a break from making tree's).
    m4joeriv3.jpg
    m4joeriv2.jpg
    m4joeriv1.jpg
  • BertR
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Now thats a clean ass bake! Looks really ace!

edit: http://i.imgur.com/qn0h2JF.png this looks like a small error
  • Stormfreek
    Wow that is an insane bake, well done man!
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    damn nice. what did you bake in?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really nice. The only spot I would have a gripe with is here

DFWAyk.png

Not really a big deal, But that would be the only thing that would bugg me in the FPS view.

Looking really sharp man :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments.
    And yeah good catch, it was actually a bit more noticable because the dust cover was a bit offcenter.

From FP view it's not that bad, it's seperate geo because I really didn't want to have that in the UV's twice.:)
    fpview.jpg

But now that you mention it it's kinda bothering me now :p
    might just match up the segments and weld it together, I'll have a look at it.

@RadianceForge

Everything was done in 3dsmax.

Except for:
    The lowpoly only AO was done in xnormal (beacuse it's incredibly fast).
    The small details were done in Ndo.
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Very nicely done!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @joeriv

A yeah, Looks much better from the FPS view ! I wouldn't let it bother you :) The rest looks awesome. Can't wait to see textures.
  • CyberGameArts
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Well done man!
    For the baking did you explode your model or did you do it by material IDs?
    I can never get such an awesome bake hahah :poly142:
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks walrus,s6020x1 and cybergame arts :D

I just explode my meshes, haven't really looked into the material ID thing yet, but with the amount of parts this is built of, it only took 5mins or so anyway to explode it.

I don't know know if it helps, but I personally just did the first couple of bakes just really slowly, splitting it up into multiple bakes (splitting of hard parts), and just trying to get each piece as good as possible, and tackling each problem one at a time. (thank god for all those posts/threads by EarthQuake :D)

Wich was very time-consuming (spent 3days on a not to complex prop the first time).
    And then later on I started speeding up the process to a normal speed.
    So once you get the hang of it I'm sure they will turn out great ^^
  • MechanicX
    Offline / Send Message
    MechanicX polycounter lvl 5
    That's what I call a nice bake, amazing work!
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7

Not the most exciting update, but since texturing is my weak point started with doing a "block-in" of the different color/spec/gloss values (and a bit more work on the stock)

probably will go for a fairly dusty, with a little bit of leftover camo on the scope in the recesses to break up the blue.

65381935.jpg
    69021397.jpg
    47959613.jpg
    36690829.jpg
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    mother of god.

is that the low poly 0_o

that receiver, is so good!
    awesome job man.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Other than some of the plastic (rail covers and grip specifically), the overall material definition is almost spot on. The stock is my favorite for this, very nice spec/wear.

That HP... Jesus. I am working on an m39 EBR right now, and can definitely say that that is some of the better HP weapon work I have seen in a while. There is some good stuff out there, but for some reason (may be the awesome render setup you have), I can sit there an be amazed time after time with the cleanliness of it and its crispness. Nice work man. Gotta give it some awesome texture work to back those HP skillzors up naow.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Awesome work Joeriv
  • Pedro Amorim
    ALways post a FPView screenshot of the weapon. Because after all this is for fpview.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    One of my surfaces is hard.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks woot, add3r, ghaztehschmexe, ysalex and computron for the nice comments.

Haven't had the time to work on this further but for pedro (and anyone that sees things that could be done better in fp view).

fpviewtweaked.jpg
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but this is up in the SDK thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1870423&postcount=75
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    this is outstanding.

a few areas could be improved in FPV with some geo support, mostly for any of those deep indents that are seen at grazing angles (the holes in the fore and the screws in the mounting bracket for the scope both jump out from FPV and break the illusion of being a highpoly model). there's also some wavy lines on the folded rear ironsight which wouldn't be a problem except that they directly face the camera (this is right over the charging handle).
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, should have payed a bit more attention to fp view, and should have seen the problems on the sight.

I'll see if I can find some time to fix those areas up, but if I don't I'll make sure to keep the main thing (keeping in mind the viewing angle for insets/extrusions like that) in mind for future things.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    That's really cool of you to put up the model for others to texture/rig/animate or w/e. I'm sure lots of people will appreciate being able to practice those things without having to spend tons of time on an epic model and bake like this.

Good stuff.:thumbup: