Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Craig Dixon

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
T-Spawn polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone!

I've been browsing this forum for a while and finally decided to post some of my work. In the past I've been posting my stuff on Tumblr and Deviant Art but haven't received any criticism so I'm looking to get any comments or critiques you have for me.

My resolution for this year is to do one model a day so I figure for my first post I'll show what I have so far.

b3g2O.jpg

Day 001 - Table

xvMzV.jpg

Day 002 - Modular Tunnel

ddale.png

Day 003 - Traffic Light

qEXmF.jpg

Day 004 - Battering Ram

sNi23.jpg

Day 005 - Grenade

U9pH5.jpg

InIcK.jpg

Day 006 - PS3 Slim

4MllG.jpg

Day 007 - Pepper

pQAEZ.jpg

Day 008 - Chespin from Pokemon X/Y

QmhYR.jpg

Day 009 - Chicken Leg

EEOxb.jpg

Day 010 - Tug Boat

kUSD0.jpg

Day 011 - Alien Stiletto from the X-Files

3z5dw.jpg

Day 012 - Blade of Alacrity from Dota 2

oF8Bj.jpg

nj8Wq.jpg

Day 013 - Staff of Wizardry from Dota 2

ynydx.jpg

Again feel free to comment on my work, I would really appreciate it.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Craig! Glad to see you posting on here.

The thing that jumps out at me most about these is your polygon density in areas that won't affect the silhouette of the object seems a little much and a general waste of polygons in other areas.

Lets take the stoplight for instance. Outside ring of the light is very obviously lower poly and non-circular so it looks very geometric. You've also got the edges going in all directions from those points, when they could easily be merged into the corner.

For the battering ram, same thing. The wheels are very obviously faceted, and could have twice the amount of polygons. You also have edge loops going along the triangle piece that are wasteful and can be merged out.

Same with the Tug boat. You've got reeeally dense circular portholes with more concentric circles than necessary, but but barely any polys for the boat itself.

If you haven't done so already, acquant yourself with the polycount wiki. There's loads of super awesome informative stuffs in there that have helped me out.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fqB3Y.jpg

Today I got really busy and didn't get home until 11pm but felt that I needed to get something out before midnight so I don't think this is as good as it could have been. Before I finish this set or Dota 2 fanart I'm going to retopologize, lay out UVs, texture and maybe try out sculpting details using Mudbox.

@darbeenbo Thanks a lot for the feedback. I never really noticed it was a problem until now. It is really apparent in the tug boat -_- I'm not sure if I'm right but for the pokemon model the feet should probably be less dense and that would allocate more polys for the head. Again thanks! I'll check out the wiki asap.
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it has been a while since I posted. I didn't end up doing 365 daily models (darn school work getting in the way) but I did way more than I actually thought I would (37). So I'll just call it a month long challenge.

Lately I've been working on a little environment to throw into unity to practice the program and showcase the harp model I made last week. Here is a compilation of WIP images I took for the stand that the Harp hovers on.
    YoyJwzn.jpg
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]8nqJAcZqe4KoUgrTIiUBZVGNhoG[/SKETCHFAB]
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hit a bit of a bump doing the diffuse for the very bottom part of this model. I had a hard time getting a pattern for the bricks to look right. Eventually I got it but I'm still not sure. So here's an update on what I've done today.
    3O7mJ42.png
  • T-Spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to take a break from painting bricks to learn CSS and redesign my portfolio website. I feel like it turned out so much better than I could have hoped for. Only problem I had was the cool CSS transitions I have on the portfolio thumbnails don't work in Firefox for some reason. :\
    http://www.craig3dixon.com/

Here are some comparison shots of the new and the old:
    wXt845e.jpg
    NEW

hqENES8.jpg
    OLD

Imgur Album of Comparison Images
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet work bro! That mansion is awesome