Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Substrata] White Knight

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
Hey guys!

I'm sure you have heard of the Substrata project Paul Richards is putting together (http://www.autodestruct.com/substrata.htm):

"The Pitch : When Vigil Games dissolved shortly after the release of The Art of Darksiders II, I thought "What a shame that the contributing developers [now scattered to the four winds] will never appear in the same volume again." Then I thought, "Eff that! We have The Internet. We don't need to be working at the same company to make an awesome, game-styled art book."

The Theme : DARK FANTASY VIDEO GAME as YOU wish it. This is more an homage to titles like Diablo, Darksiders, Dark Souls, etc. and NOT something that takes place within any established franchise. The title, "Substrata", is open to personal interpretation. It can be tongue-in-cheek parody, dark, gritty realism, or simply more of the same tropes we already know work -- skulls, spikes, chains and the like. Imagine this project is in pre-production and we're all submitting ideas (sketches, 3D renders and tight illustrations/mood paintings) to narrow down the direction for our as-yet-nebulous game. Alternately, just think of the stuff you like to see in making-of books and DO THAT. "

I've been a fan of Vigil for a long time and, obviously, will miss the sort of work they did in the past. I'd love to contribute to the project and , at the same time, learn a few things and break out of my normal routine. I wouldn't consider this fanart, I don't want to mimic their style or tread on copyrighted material - but definitely want to take a lot of notes from the Darksiders series at least in spirit. Consider it a love letter to the genre, I suppose.

Project Goals
- Learn something new!
Through community feedback and exploring new software options (I've never used Topogun, for example) I'm hoping to walk away from this project having gained new skills.

-Contribute to the Community!
I want this character to be well documented. Lately, I've been hiding in the shadows and just posting work in WAYWO. With this project, I'm hoping to share some of my process and contribute more information to the forum rather than being a non-contributing zero.

-Finish before the Deadline!
Ultimately, I'd love to have the piece finished and accepted amongst the ranks of the other artists for the project. Though, really, I'm just going to go at my own pace - do what I want - and hope for the best in the end (ref. the Civil War project that took over a year...) In the end, I'd like to take him down to dx11 game resolution, but for the Substrata project a sculpt will suffice.

Initial Direction
I follow an organic process for personal projects. Generally, I don't start with a solid concept and instead gather a bunch of reference / influences and just dive in. Sometimes, this means reworking things as I go along, scraping ideas altogether for something better, but it's more fun for me. I don't want to be limited for personal projects, and a concept basically defines those restrictions. So, bear with me, the first few posts (other than this humble brag one) will probably be exploration work.

I'm starting with the idea that I am creating the ultimate champion for the war on Hell. Super good guy, angelic, blessed by God(s), etc. - but still gruff, and a brute. The main influence is from Darksiders1 (War, Abaddon, Angel Soldiers) and, for the most part, I would want to create the 'good guy' version of that - a more extreme contrast for good vs. evil.

I want him to read as obviously "good" (typical cleric/paladins, angel warriors from DS), hulking with chunky armor, giant sword, maybe holding some sort of defeated enemy - like a severed Medusa head? I'm trying to figure out if he should actually be angellic, with armored wings, or if it will be too much. The smaller details, though, will reveal themselves in the process:

Substrata_WK_01.jpg

I also want to start learning more "things." I've never used Topogun, Marvelous Designer looks cool, dx11 process is new to me, I've never built a good set of eyes...etc. I think this could be a good "demo" character to accomplish those sort of things.

Stay tuned, hope to update with actual work soon!

Gav

Replies

• BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Hell Yeah! Can't wait!

- BoBo
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    well i loved your civil war and this is gonna be sweet for sure! :D

subbing and waiting
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    *sits down to watch*
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks guys!

So, bit of a slow day. I'm doing this project in Maya - which isn't my primary tool, so there was some fumbling around for a bit. I puttered with the bust for this character this evening, and even streamed some of my process, which I think may become a more frequent thing..

This is a few steps showing how I built him up. He's probably about another evening before being considered close to complete - and I'll most likely tweak him here and there as the rest of the character develops:
    Substrata_WK_02.jpg

Thinking he could have a salt and pepper hair colour - not exactly old, but has aged and seen a lot of shit...Considering giving him a goatee, and maybe some time of carving on his head? might do something a little less Mansony though...
    Substrata_WK_02b.jpg

Where I'm at so far:
    Substrata_WK_03.jpg

Up next will be getting this guy closer to done and probably working out what sort of armor he'll have and block out some proportions.

Cheers!
    Gav
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great start Gav! I like the direction it's going, looking forward to watching this develop
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks like ass man, how you ever got a job in the industry i'll never know.

for reals man, put your intuos on ebay and just give up.

all my love,
    Gir.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Very Solid start...really like the idea of a carved 'X' on his forehead...certainly adds to the back story...Will be watching too.
  • MindOfNash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet so far, the initial direction is awesome. I think the goatee is legit as heck :D

I also couldn't help but think of this..
    Substrata_WK_03copy-1.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Loving the face carving idea, not digging the X though. Maybe he's a little fanatical so he's carved scripture or something onto his face like a rite of passage? Maybe you don't want crazy though
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I like the gruff feel of this guy. It might be cool to do something interesting with his ears (maybe give him cauliflower ears after all those years training in hand to hand combat with all those other potential heroes).

randy-couture-career.jpg

Guud luck mate :)
  • Plyomet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it so far, but I assumed this was in Zbrush, but you said it was in Maya? Have you done this all in Maya?
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    looking good, reminds me of Merle in the Walking Dead from some angles :)

He's got a lot of character, and a nice lived in look to him, like he's seen and done a lot of shit in his time, and agreeing on the cauliflower ears- would give him even more of a history.

Cracking start though, can't wait to see more :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Plyomet wrote: »
    Loving it so far, but I assumed this was in Zbrush, but you said it was in Maya? Have you done this all in Maya?

The mesh and gradient BG screams Zbrush.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Fisher: Thanks dude!
    Daven: Yusss...
    gir: If I play my cards right, I'm looking to get an entry level job sometime within the next year or two
    katana: Thanks man, glad you're liking the X
    Nash:son-i-am-disappoint-original-8AeE8a.gif
    sukotto: Thanks man, yeah I migh tplay with some other ideas. The Xis a little cliche, though, which can be good and bad. Like it already has connections to religious type nut jobs...but it may be a bit too Mansony. It's easy to play with, it can be one of those details I mess with as the character progresses.
    Baj: Thanks dude - good suggestion!
    Plyomet: Yep, katana's right - it's Maya for base mesh modeling and ZBrush for sculpting - sorry for the confusion.
    Chunkey: Thanks man, I'm actually using him as a main reference!

Slooowww, sloowww ass progress. Just wanted to toss this up here - plugged away a little more on the head. Hoping to start roughing in the body over the nice long weekend coming up!

SUBSTRATA_wk_04.jpg

Cheers,
    Gav
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    cool start man looking forward to the rest of him.

I have a question tho, how large are the eyeballs? It feels like rhey are too large in diameter, making the whole eyesocket/lid area feel very flat.
  • CarelessMonday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarelessMonday polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice work! I for one would love for the goatee to stay, it adds a bit off wisdom to him like an veteran warrior. Gonna sub and see how this pans out.
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Neox, if only there was a way to rotate around the head to check on the size of the eyes. I dunno, something like... http://www.polycount.com/2013/05/19/sketchfab-integration/

?? :)

Gav, this is shaping up nicely. I'm in agreement with those cauliflower ears!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man now all I can see is Merle... Looking good so far Gav, though I'm not feeling the X. I think the problem isn't that there's a symbol carved there, but that an X suggests he's more a serial killer than a holy warrior. A cross is probably too cliche, but maybe some kinda scripture passage or something? I dunno it's your call.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Neox: Good catch - the eyelids might be sittign a little flat right now, will fix them up.
    Careless Monday: Cheers!
    whw: Thanks :) Might have to give this model viewer a go when there's a better model to show, heh :P
    Scudz: Yep, totally agree. Probably going to ditch the X for a rune of some sort. I'm hesitant to put scripture or crosses on him as I generally don't want to involve real world religions (which I probably shouldn't get into here...but yeah...no christian stuff.) The X is just so Manson, I think scripture might not read so well...but some sort of rune...maybe a vague "third eye", or just something that 'looks cool'...we shall see!

So, a bit of an update. I feel sort of embarrassed even showing this sort of stuff as it's pretty awful and is more of a 'process' sort of thing. I guess you get to see how the sausage is made. I think I'm going in a direction that I like. It nods toward classic 'hero' but also has elements that I think are unique, are cool details, and more in line with my own personal tastes. Let me walk you through the steps I've taken so far. Again, nothing glamorous:

A-Using Dynamesh, I started blocking in armor elements. All of these steps are really rough and sloppy, but I'm just getting ideas down - the end goal is to have something I can model over top of - but even then things might change. For armored characters, i seem to focus more on the chest and shoulders since it seems, to me, to be the most prime real estate.

B - Wanting to incorporate more sculptural elements into the piece - I started roughing in giant heads for the shoulder pads with, what would eventually be, 'crowns' making up the neck guard. I lost motivation pretty quick going in this direction, for a few reasons. It's not "me" - it's not what I originally had intended to do and, thinking ahead, the final asset would be more similar to the toonish direction of DS/LoL etc...and i don't really want that. Again, not looking to mimic the DS style in anyway and not particularly wanting to have a painterly / pushed to the extremes look in the end - I wasn't feeling it at all. For most, if not all, personal projects I feel like I hit a phase where I'm just consuming inspiration too much - like overdosing on what other people have done rather than just trusting myself. I also have this revelation where I take a hard turn and come back closer to what I originally intended. This was sort of that moment...just not happy with it, reminding myself what imagine in my mind made me want to do this...etc.

C - Tone it down. Going back to a more realistic proportion. I don't want to make something that's unrelateable, in the end I want to make a hero type character for a dark fantasy game if I were to be in control of direction. I believe that direction is less fantastical - so, I dropped the idea of giant hands and shoulder pads and started building over more natural proportions.

D- Quickly Dynameshing a chest piece in and push the shoulders up and out

E- Decided to horribly sketch over the model in PS to think about what I want. I think there's a few things I want to do here: layered materials (Leather, Cloth, Scalemail, then plate armor, then accessories over top of it all.) that are clearly visible, repeated themes of Medusa/Snakes/Scales, Feathers/Wings, and female faces. Keeping asymmetrical details to a minimum, based on previous projects, and keeping them isolated to the shoulder pads and belts to break up the center line.

Again, this is so early that I normally wouldn't show it, but this is part of the process. I think some things are solid and definitely a direction i want to go, some ideas are just so general that they will most like change (like the bracers.)

SUBSTRATA_wk_05.jpg

Cheers,
    Gav
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good Gav.

From where i'm looking, contextually it might fit Darksiders but visually, it looks more like Gears of War with a fantasy twist (which in no way is a bad thing as I think it would yield very interesting results :)).
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Definitely getting a Warhammer vibe from the recent update (white and greys) - not sure if that's what you're after.
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Its super awesome to get some insight into your working process, thanks for taking the time :D. I'm loving the direction so far, can't wait to see what happens!
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cool,really!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Baj: Thanks man! Definitely nothing wrong with getting chocolate in my peanut butter
    whw: Cheers, I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily :)
    silkroad: Thanks!

Little progress on the armor, still pretty early so there's a lot I need to do but felt like posting an update. I'm thinking the parts of the cuirass behind the cage can be a type of armor - either feathers or snake scales to keep with the theme, going to cap off where the cage meets the rim with some 'talon' type details as indicated in my horrible drawing. Will most likely have some kind of embossed detail on the neck guard, the padding inside will be a quilted type material....all sorts of stuff coming up.

Debating what to do for the back/shoulder area. I'd like to add some kind of cape, but it would have to be super short and/or awkward to fit with the wings. Was thinking about adding chains or ropes around his shoulders instead like you would see on military clothing.

SUBSTRATA_wk_06.jpg

Edit> And, obviously, need snake heads...

Cheers!
    Gav
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I feel conflicted. If I look at it, I'll turn to stone. If I don't, I'll die with regret. Looking awesome man!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    The details on the armor is looking sweet, hoping you are going to flesh out the face in the armor more, because it's lacking behind a bit.
    Not crazy about the X on the forehead, but I might look more natural later on ;)

Can't wait to see this finished :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the eye sockets still look a bit flat.

few other things:

*the forehead looks really off in terms of basic anatomy planes.
    *corner of the mouth/lips is too soft/round.

this would be handy for the forehead specially:

http://philippefaraut.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/male-planes-head_1.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Daven: Thanks dude!
    Stromberg: Cheers :)
    MM: Thanks man, will address those things in a bit when I get

Alright, small update. Going so slow - but mostly because I've been getting some Bioshock renders ready >:]

Sort of layering him up here, looking to move on with a few more details then on to the armored bits (elaborate shoulder pads, wings, forearm, shins, etc.) then accessories. Hoping to speed things up this week -

SUBSTRATA_wk_07.jpg

Gav
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Gav that model is looking sexy and I love the idea for Substrata cant wait to see it all finished. looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Sali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man!
    Crosshair on his forehead looks suitable in my opinion, while the logo takes off attention from his face.
    Anyways, I hope you`ll show us the final version soon)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Looking great gaz, love the snakes on the armor, must have been tedious work but it really adds. Also the face is full of character. Looking forward to seein the rest.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Would be interesting to see if you're able to have the decal on his forehead pay some sort of homage to the god/beast on his chest. incorporating the two somehow to add a bit of backstory/history as to why he has something on his skull.

I think you've done a good job working at creating believable cloth draping from his sleeves and torso. And a decent contrast between the padding on the inside of the thighs and the leather on the outside. Nice work Gav