Home General Discussion

Unlimited Detail

Replies

• Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like something you'd get out of Autodesk 123d Catch. Even the artifacts and jaggyness with smaller objects. Not to mention it's also a cloud based scanning method.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Realism level ~ 76%

These guys really love their technobabble
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fuse wrote: »
    These guys really love their technobabble

I hate techno-babble, they would easily state 10 millimeter accuracy or 16^2 voxels per inch. I'd also like to hear the texture density, but those really only mater once they have a working game demo level.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Look at the edges of those manmade objects like the paint can... It's all wobbly! Looks awful. I noticed the 'realism level' as well, what a load of shit.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder how they measure the realism level. We should add that into UDK if we can figure out what to track.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Realism Level!
    Of course!

That's what I've been doing wrong with my scenes! I just didn't turn it up high enough.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    I hate techno-babble, they would easily state 10 millimeter accuracy or 16^2 voxels per inch. I'd also like to hear the texture density, but those really only mater once they have a working game demo level.

Pssst, they don't have texture density; voxels instead of pixels!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    Realism Level!
    Of course!

That's what I've been doing wrong with my scenes! I just didn't turn it up high enough.

I know right?! Don't you hate it when that happens, although mine caps out at 60%, what about you?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some rummaging - they've literally made no progress at all since last year; all they've done is scan in some static scenes and render them the same way they always have done.

They're still totally CPU bound, too data intensive to actually compile any real scene, and they still can't even light or shadow their geometry (it's all baked into the voxel colour); let alone handle anything like rudimentary animation. So far they haven't even demonstrated that they can translate or rotate a single object within the scene.

I literally think that they've done nothing other than plug in a new scene.

What garbage. I've seen university students make more progress in less time than this supposedly professional team of engineers.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and hiring 'artists' means they can now scan objects instead of modeling and texturing them...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    So I did some rummaging - they've literally made no progress at all since last year; all they've done is scan in some static scenes and render them the same way they always have done.
    What they have done is set up a business selling their tech to display large scale laser scan data for building and real state businesses and the like. That would appear to be a far more plausible use of the software that they've put together.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I know right?! Don't you hate it when that happens, although mine caps out at 60%, what about you?
    Mine goes all the way up to 61%, baby!
    Wait...
    No, that's just a post-it note stuck to my monitor.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    My dial goes to 11.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ooooh ... first that cardbox scene looking just like a bunch of 123catch captures, and now this stuff about real estate visualisation, Jack ?

It *really* sounds like the artists they hired basically are there to clean up 123catch "scan" data. (not scan at all actually - more like semi-automated photgrammetry ... working okay for organics but in need of complete re-modeling for architectural assets)

I suppose they are thinking that by "scanning" everything in they can get something somehow realistic - even tho it will obviously shade like shit or even has no dynamic lighting whatsoever. But even if it will look like crap to us (and rightfully so - by now it's even more obvious that their past claims of competing with solid current engines were totally BS) this kind of dry photo-based representation seems quite appropriate for real estate agents.

Now the irony is that all that stuff is already available in 3DCoat today :D

So basically ... they are now totally giving up the whole instanced rainbow island unlimited detail thing in order to build ... some kind of realtime voxel 3D walkthrough tool ?

Lol
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's covered in the link that Equil posted on the previous page
    http://www.euclideon.com/
    As a tool for compressing, networking and displaying ultra high detail LiDAR information, it's probably pretty handy.

Based on the interview, I think they're still noodling with their voxel game engine, but by the sounds of things they've realised that if it's possible to make anything worthwhile at all, it's going to take a lot of time, work and money.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah totally - but they cannot help it, they still love their trademark BS claims :
    1 million point cloud atoms per virtual cubic inch

Even tho they seem to be going for a more practical application of their tech now ... I still wouldn't trust them in the slightest. I mean, their whole brochure is like that : full of plain vapid statements sounding big (Compress your data! Drag and drop your data! No need to copy to every computer! ) yet anyone in their target audience knows that this is all meaningless. It is as if they were marketing a super high end solution for people who never used a computer for anything else than Facebook.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I were them, I'd have built a server side solution for handling a really high octane, high detail scan for use in something like arch-viz, and the software to funnel the rendered image down the web streamed as a web application. That kind of thing is viable.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    As far as I know, and when sifting through their BS, that is exactly what they're doing, data is contained on a central computer, and streamed to the user.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    As far as I know, and when sifting through their BS, that is exactly what they're doing, data is contained on a central computer, and streamed to the user.

Lol, you must be covered in shit now to have sifted through an gotten that nugget. :poly124:
    They may actually be of some use if that turns out.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Ye I'd say they've used up the time people stay interested in.

Now it's just embarrassing.

But who knows, maybe one day they'll surprise us.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I allways feel the urge to comment on theese youtube videos but when i try i just give up after about a few sentences, i mean people are so gullible its ridcolus. I cant even muster the strength to argument with them.

I might not be as technical as many of the people in this thread, but its clear as bright day that its fishy. I think everyone has pointed out the flaws of the videos (like how they lack any technical information at all, how he dosn't even try to proove the counter arguments to be wrong, etc).

I mean, in the long interview with that biased reporter (or whatever he is) they acctually talk about notch's and Carmacks statements, and the only thing he replys with is "one guy said it cant be done and the other guy says that it has been done a million times before" and then laugh it off. What the fuck is that for an answer?

TLDR; Im getting pissed off watching theese videos.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Lol, you must be covered in shit now to have sifted through an gotten that nugget. :poly124:
    They may actually be of some use if that turns out.

Lol, quite.

The thing is, what they're doing is nothing new, and I've seen plenty of point cloud based apps, there are quite a few used in architecture and land surveying.

Sometimes a building doesn't have the old blueprints, and as a land surveyor, you need to measuring the inside and outside of the building, and the outside, is most easily done with a tool that measures distance of points via laser, and that just plots them in 3D space inside an app. Pretty much exactly what this app does.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But do they have a Realism Level counter?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Visceral wrote: »
    I allways feel the urge to comment on theese youtube videos but when i try i just give up after about a few sentences, i mean people are so gullible its ridcolus. I cant even muster the strength to argument with them.

I might not be as technical as many of the people in this thread, but its clear as bright day that its fishy. I think everyone has pointed out the flaws of the videos (like how they lack any technical information at all, how he dosn't even try to proove the counter arguments to be wrong, etc).

I mean, in the long interview with that biased reporter (or whatever he is) they acctually talk about notch's and Carmacks statements, and the only thing he replys with is "one guy said it cant be done and the other guy says that it has been done a million times before" and then laugh it off. What the fuck is that for an answer?

TLDR; Im getting pissed off watching theese videos.

Get this: http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    But do they have a Realism Level counter?

hehehe, no
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    soo.. it seems like they made something actually useful! not to us though:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irf-HJ4fBls"]Euclideon Geoverse 2013 - YouTube[/ame]
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Seems like they found their niche. Cool demo, nice to see them actually apply UD to something xD
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Paraphrasing here: "We sort through the hard drive, temporarily send the data to RAM, and then straight to the screen. Most will tell you this is impossible!"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how most, if not all, software operates?
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    6:48
    I like how he is "flying arround in realtime" without touching the mouse ;-)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its alot of effort and publicity to fake something.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    unlimited shenanigans!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez wrote: »
    Seems like they found their niche. Cool demo, nice to see them actually apply UD to something xD

+1

The games industry just wasn't a good fit. Or at least their message and "product" as was packaged just wasn't right.
    "Ello game industry! Bow to us! Redesign everything, throw it all out, engines, tools and hardware, toss it all out. Then redo everything from scratch, now give us lots of money..."

They obviously put a lot of years into developing this stuff and I'm glad they found their niche.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey this is the first demo of their tech that really impresses me!

if this is half as nice as in the demo its really a useful tool for the industry
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    aivanov wrote: »
    Paraphrasing here: "We sort through the hard drive, temporarily send the data to RAM, and then straight to the screen. Most will tell you this is impossible!"

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how most, if not all, software operates?

Coming back to this; it's how euclidean operates, they spout out a bunch of factual nonsense and misinformation in the desperate hunt for investors or new areas, they also had that funny chart of processor speeds vs storage space without taking into consideration the fact that processors started to achieve more per clock cycle than they did before, and the wider use of multiple cores, or the fact that if we want to do the exponential comparison we look at transistors.

Every time they do their pitch they mention on how everything in the area has been doing it wrong all the way and that their sollution will solve everything, they will also neglect to mention what it cannot do and that it only does everything.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kinda cool looking tool, a better use for unlimited detail than games, but I've seen 3d scan videos that seem to deal with just as massive point cloud data without issues, I'm sure there's more apps then the "slow" ones they demoed.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [start speculatively flippant comment]You guys do realise that they don't actually want to do anything with this other than sell the tech to Google for Street View right?[/end]
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    they also had that funny chart of processor speeds vs storage space without taking into consideration the fact that processors started to achieve more per clock cycle than they did before, and the wider use of multiple cores, or the fact that if we want to do the exponential comparison we look at transistors.

I suspect they're still single threaded and heavily CPU bound anyway.

SOsalesman.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    SOsalesman.jpg

Every year for the last 10 years they've gone "but we're working on hardware-accelerating it!"
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I couldn't watch that entire video because of the way that guy was saying 'data'.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »

What I got from the video was this:

Instead of reading a very large file off the hard drive, and storing the whole thing in RAM, they can index the file and pull smaller parts of it to RAM, or something. I dunno.

Not sure if they are talking out of their asses or not, but I do think they are better suited in that industry than the games industry. Good for them for finding a niche.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Until I see an FPS or TPS demonstration it's just a hyped up demo on what is possible in the future.

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/08/is-the-future-of-immersive-3d-in-atoms-euclideoncom.html
    3D graphics innovator John Carmack says the technology is potentially feasible in the near future: "[N]o chance of a game on current gen systems, but maybe several years from now."

Last night I asked Carmack why he thinks it'll take 5 years for something like the Unlimited Detail demo to be feasible, and he kindly explained, also outlining his own plans for a voxel renderer:
    "You can real time ray trace a static world on high end hardware today as a demo, but there is a long path between a demo and something that is competitive with rasterization in a real product. My plan for such technologies has always been to emit a depth buffer as well as color from the voxel/point cloud renderer and continue to use existing technologies for characters/particles/etc.
    "It took us five years to go from a megatexture demo to a (almost) shipping game."
    So in 5 years, we may see something like Unlimited Detail... only there's a good chance it'll come from Carmack's id Software. (I've re-titled this post to reflect these updates.)
    In five years (probably less) we will have the first quantum computers and I know that will be a game changer regarding realism but it will be decades before games actually benefit from them.

Interesting times we live in :thumbup:

PS Still have my working zx spectrum 16k & 48K computers :poly124:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm not mistaken, that quote is probably something like five years old now. There are some pretty impressive voxel and hybrid renderers out there - this isn't one of them.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Still comparing this tech to video games when they don't have reflections, lighting, shadows, or any sort of frensel or specular. It's full bright textures the game.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I love the quote at 4:08 "A lot of professionals on the internet said our claims were impossible, but they were wrong and now our technology is being used by some of the world's biggest companies!"

It's like they understand how shady they look and sound, but then say "It's alright, don't worry about it!"
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    They said "Here is some real life footage" as soon as I saw it I thought "This has been rendered this is not real life." Its pretty easy to spot to be honest.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Oh Euclidian, you stupid hoax... at least every time it's posted it reminds me to check how Brigade is doing, and it seems to be doing well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpT6MkCeP7Y
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    So this scam again ?

I will believe. When it will run on my pc.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I love how he uses DSA (or Realms of Arcania) - Shadow over riva for the build up (i think it's riva)...where did he find that game?

Still looks shady. I mean they show a camera flying through a static Voxel surrounding. that looks alright on the inside...looks horrible on the outside. Honestly i think current engines do a decent job. Scan data is nice...but Scan data of an alien space ship or a city in a final fantasy game might be hard to come by though...