Home Technical Talk

Tips on modelling this?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, having a bit of trouble, anyone know how best to model this? (The cap) - mainly the ridges around it

30wFP.png

Ive seen a short guide on this before but have no idea what I need to search for to find it so a link to something like that would be more than appreciated

Cheers

Replies

• travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    well the question is do you wanna do it in a 3d modeling software or a sculpting software? me personally, i'd get a cylinder like model in zbrush, and you can have a radial symmetry on to pull one edge and it'll do it all the way around. Quick and easy :D then you can retopologize if necessary and project the high and low
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If you want to do sub-d, start with a cylinder with double the amount of sides as ridges you want. Select every second edge and scale it out. Bevel if needed. Then you just need to tweak it to get it closer to ref.

ZmqtWDI.png
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies dudes, It doesnt need to be that close to the reference, I just could figure out how to describe it.

Ill have a bash at Bek's process (a script to select/ring every other edge would be so useful xD)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    What software do you use? In modo you can select one edge, skip one, select the next, then just hit the up arrow and it will select every other edge in the ring.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I did one of these 6 months or so ago for a lantern.

Here is a pic of my version, I ended up extruding every other face along that ring then adding 1 support loop.

phHePRb.jpg
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    What software do you use? In modo you can select one edge, skip one, select the next, then just hit the up arrow and it will select every other edge in the ring.

Im using 3ds max, dunno if theres something similar in Max, I dont do much hard surface.

this is what I ended up with, does the job.

30B6o.png
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Bek pretty much got it. Only thing I'd do different is chamfer.

The tool your looking for is called "Dot ring" in graphite modeling tools. Threw together a quick gif of how i would do it. And if this project is for a game model, or going to be for baking normal maps, The edge width on the cap you made is going to prove problematic. Its easy to support complex shapes by jamming control loops up next to major edges, But I'd try to stay away from that. Sometimes in hardsurface you can get away with calling that "Realistic" but that isn't necessarily functional. In this case, Its nor functional, or Realistic (seeing as the reference is like Beks Example).

nbJKa4.gif

.02 :)