Home Technical Talk

Editing Vertex Normals - Maya

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
McBradd polycounter lvl 12
Right now I'm creating a bunch of modular character sets. Each item starts off from the same base mesh which is divided into the individual sections, so there's a split at the base of the neck, waistline, wrists, etc.

I need to match up the vertex normals on each new piece I create to the existing model. Right now we've got a tool to transfer the correct normal information from the base meshes to the new components, but it works by selecting the vert you want to tweak, selecting a target vert, and hitting transfer.

I'm wondering if there are existing scripts/tools out there to do this more efficiently than vert-by-vert. Most of my googling this far has lead back to Maya's Polygon Set Vertex Normal Options, or the Autodesk help.

Edit:
I've been experimenting with 'Transfer Attributes' which produces ok results, but it's still not a great solution...

Replies

• ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    You can use Mesh > Transfer attributes and set it to transfer vertex normals by ray casting. So you'd only need to first select the source (basemesh) and then select all the vertexes on the target that should be affected and hit Transfer. Should be faster than doing it vert by vert :)
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    ivars wrote: »
    You can use Mesh > Transfer attributes and set it to transfer vertex normals by ray casting. So you'd only need to first select the source (basemesh) and then select all the vertexes on the target that should be affected and hit Transfer. Should be faster than doing it vert by vert :)

Hi, I know this thread is old, but I have a on topic question. Once normals are transferred from a base mesh, how can you delete the base mesh without those new normals disappearing on the affected mesh?
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    delete history first.