Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy XIV yey or ney?

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Male Mithras?! Or Mi'qotes or whatever the fuck they are called? Oh man........ I like the new UI. As someone who was bummed over the bummer that was FFXIV..my interests are piqued again. Too bad I have too many games already.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It looks good, especially the UI changes. Did they start charging monthly again? I know that they had put it off for the longest time but it's hard to imagine this just not going F2P after not charging people for so long, and having an abyssmal launch in general. Also, if they have started charging again are they still using that terrible 'crystal" payment or whatever the hell that was?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    praetus wrote: »
    It looks good, especially the UI changes. Did they start charging monthly again? I know that they had put it off for the longest time but it's hard to imagine this just not going F2P after not charging people for so long, and having an abyssmal launch in general. Also, if they have started charging again are they still using that terrible 'crystal" payment or whatever the hell that was?

Yes they curretnly charging 9.99$, and if you will have veteran status (3 month sub before beta), you will also pay 9.99$ after 2.0 launches.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I have heard a lot of good things about 2.0. Release was absolutely horrible, but this seems very promising. I already have the copy at home, so it may be worth a shot to resubscribe once 2.0 releases. Not to mention it looks even better than it did. O_O
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i bet ff XVII contains sepiroth again but not cloud
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Man, those new screens look pretty! Never played an MMO meself, but if the gameplay has been through the overhaul that the graphics have, it could be my first.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I picked up the collectors edition of FFXIV on release, and I actually don't regret it at all. One of my main reasons for picking it up was that I was relatively confident that the developers would be supporting the game and the game community more than other MMOs I'd tried. Happy to say I feel that's been the case. I wound up getting an entire year of free play while they released constant updates, consistently responding to community feedback and updating with worthwhile information.

I actually didn't mind the gameplay state of things on release, it was sort of refreshing compared to other online games in a way. Though the changes they've made and will be making are certainly welcome.

Really, my biggest gripe with FFXIV since release was performance from a hardware standpoint, it's a HELL of a system hog even on super powerful PCs, particularly if you're up there in resolution. And it sounds like the performance gripe is going to be addressed in the release of 2.0 with the graphics overhaul. Plus, having paid for 90 days of service already, I'll be playing 2.0 for 5 bucks less per month. And I get a free cool looking chocobo!

The game is pretty drastically different now than it was on release, 2.0 really looks like it's going to kick ass. I feel like I'll be getting a new game without having to pay anything, since it's something I bought what will be almost 2 years ago.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My biggest problem with FFXIV was the insanely boring crafting. In order to get any good weapon you had to do hours and hours of crafting. Also the AH was a pain in the ass.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Mass invites for FFXIV: ARR (2.0) were sent out yesterday, did anyone here get in?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rduwq-Of9Y"]FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn -- The Black Shroud, Part 2 (Alpha) - YouTube[/ame]
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    where are you applying for the beta? I am not seeing it anywhere on their site or the Lodestone thing.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Well it's still in alpha now so you can't apply for beta yet. I am not going to break any nda here but i will say that it looks really awesome. Graphics seem to have improved over the original version and the gameplay got a complete overhaul as did the GUI. It plays (combat wise) more like an original mmo now though you can move in combat. And with the looks and lore etc of Final Fantasy. That's all i'll be saying until the nda changes. I do hope you guys can get in really..

small edit:

To apply for the alpha: US http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_na.html EU http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_en.html
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you can only apply for the alpha if you have an existing FFXIV account.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah that's a bit of a point indeed. forgot to mention that.....
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i actually have a copy of the game, i just never registered. but i can't register now because they've disabled registrations until the new game comes out.

kinda sucks :P
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugghhhhh. I hope this game succeeds. FFXI is one of my most enjoyable MMO experiences, and I just want this to be that fun. If I have the original FFXIV game discs, I can still play the Realm Reborn right? Didn't they completely overhaul the engine and the game and shit?
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As i understand it: owners of the original FFXIV are automaticaly upgraded to the realm reborn version free of charge. Even heard some ppl talking about a free month as well but i don't know about that.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    HardBaller wrote: »
    Well it's still in alpha now so you can't apply for beta yet. I am not going to break any nda here but i will say that it looks really awesome. Graphics seem to have improved over the original version and the gameplay got a complete overhaul as did the GUI. It plays (combat wise) more like an original mmo now though you can move in combat. And with the looks and lore etc of Final Fantasy. That's all i'll be saying until the nda changes. I do hope you guys can get in really..

small edit:

To apply for the alpha: US http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_na.html EU http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_en.html

How was performance, compared to the original?
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    HardBaller wrote: »
    As i understand it: owners of the original FFXIV are automaticaly upgraded to the realm reborn version free of charge. Even heard some ppl talking about a free month as well but i don't know about that.

Right, if you already have an FFXIV account, then you automatically have FFXIV: ARR as well as a free trial period when the game releases (They haven't specified how long).

SE also stated that if everything goes over smoothly, then they're sending out another wave of invites on Dec. 3rd.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    How was performance, compared to the original?

Hmm right now i think it's not fully optimized yet. But it's still alpha ofcourse. A complete new engine so it's normal that it still needs some optimization. (especially this early). I use a i5-3570K with an hd7870oc and had no problems running it on max settings though full windowed mode (dual screens). CPU load was a bit higher then for example with rift but that's to be expected a bit. Looked more at temps (around 40/45 in heavy pop areas) then load but i think it was around 40% overal so not bad. Will get beter over time i'm sure.

@Rai thanks for confirming it :).
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So apparently the rerelease is set for 8/27. They have also detailed the pre-order bonus as well as collector edition details. I don't want to jump on any hype train but DAT COLLECTORS EDITION!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/23/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-on-ps3-827-pre-order-collectors-ed-details/
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    bloody cheap collectors edition, i'd pay that much just for the art book lol.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    My only question and it isn't really addressed here, is the how big is the art book? If it is full size, then hells yes I want it. However, I am sick to death of games coming with art books and it is 20 pages and the size of a DVD case.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well from the image shown, it looks like an A4 hardback artbook.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I gave this a shot since I got an invite from signing up a long time ago. I don't care about breaking NDA but overall I was just really bored. I don't think the graphics are all that great, or at least they didn't look great for me when I turned everything on high. FF fans will probably overlook this because of the distinct style they have going but for me I was just really underwhelmed.

It definitely plays like a more traditional style MMO, and I don't think that's going to help them with more and more MMOs moving towards a more action orientated combat system which, for our ADD generation, most people seem to prefer.

I'm sure there are some FF fans that are more masochistic than I, but I don't think I'll ever play this game again...

Sorry Squenix, y'all just really missing the mark lately.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ceebee, did you play FFXI at all? If so how does this compare to that. Was it just really slow?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    It was a little bit faster than FFXI, but still pretty slow. Back in the FFXI days this would be fine but my god if it isn't unbearable after playing some more modern MMOs that tried to improve upon the overall grind of MMOs.

Then again most people I know who played FFXI for a long period of time are nuts and have way higher tolerances for super slow grinds.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeTxlVXVTE"]FINAL FANTASY XIV "CRYSTAL'S CALL" Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

New trailer posted from E3. It is shaping up to look pretty good (at least I hope.) Pre-ordered it with the assumption if it is horrible I'll cancel out of it but I want to guarantee that artbook if it turns out to be a good game.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Funny thing about some trailers is they focus too much on cinematic awe and not really showing off core mechanics or gameplay.

That new trailer consists mostly of dialogue, loud music, and exploding spell effects all over the screen. While it does get you excited, it really does not show how the game could have improved.

This is true for most trailers, but I only mention it here because a few other people linked me this video and I just shrugged and didn't care. I think the FF MMOs are very niche games.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey guys, was thinking about trying the game out but heard mixed reviews - has anyone got any experience with the game, enjoying it at all?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I've been playing it a bit in my spare time and have really been enjoying it. The combat feels a bit more slow paced that WoW but that is mainly because of the GCD being a bit longer I think. There was quite a bit of complaints about server queues at the beginning and they were absolutely awful. Since the maintenance last week though the longest I have had to wait in queue was about 2 minutes and have had no problems otherwise. If you're a fan of FF in general the game is a nostalgia overload.

I will say though, the beginning of the game is boring. The first few levels are a heavy handed tutorial but once the story gets going it is pretty cool. My wife and I are playing on PS3 currently, but I'm aiming top get a PC copy once they start selling them on greenmangaming again.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sweet, thanks Praetus :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've played to level 20 so far, and it feels like one giant tutorial... kinda makes me wish i could just skip to that level and assume i know how to play what is a very generic (control wise) mmo.

what's not generic? i dunno... actually thinking about it quite a lot is. it does have a very final fantasy feel to it which is great, but maybe that's just a visual thing. visually it's not particularly stunning on the asset side of things. the environments look quite bland, unatmospheric (that is to say, i haven't had any "oh wow..." moments yet). and the character art feels very basic... you can see in a lot of cases that the diffuse is just flat colour, and the spec isn't much different. even the skin tones look very flat.

it's a decent game, but there are better, free options.