Home General Discussion

Artists love cats as pets

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi folks, hope all is doing great and having good health. Ok so title says it all, the more I am looking top artists on Facebook (not stalking, just for inspiration) :D. I am finding one thing in common including me, we love cats as pets and its been bugging me WHY :D

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Down with cats, up with dogs.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lover of cats?
    not me.

I can't stand em
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, if this thread gets cat bombed will it be closed or is it just adding to the topic?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    BECAUSE CATS.

Exactly.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because cats? hmm is that have some hidden meaning? :D please enlighten me.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    And what's great about Cats is that when you run out of rabbits, you can cook up a cat for Dinner!

I miss my cat....:(

(And no I didn't cook her up...lol)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    BULLDOGS FOREVER!
  • Lamont
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Cats are really annoying and just love to mess with my stuff.

I prefer bunnies.

Buut Of all the pets Ive owned and encountered cats seem to be the best choice. When I were younger and had cats all I did was change the food and litter box and let'em do whatever while I did whatever. all other pets take to much managing.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not home enough to properly take care of a dog.

Cats will survive my work hours.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I'm not home enough to properly take care of a dog.

Cats will survive my work hours.

This, I had a shiba inu, but my ex took him with her and I'm glad, cause I'd never be able to give him the attention he needs. Whereas a cat just lays on my lap while I work. :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Cats are like dogs for introverted people.

Very friendly and close, but takes time to build the relationship.

No walks. No cleaning up dog shit. no barking, no slobbering, less wrecking your house.

Perfect for the housebound nerd!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I've got the best of both worlds: a cat that thinks its a dog. He can keep 'cat hours', like Sectaurs said and use a litter box, but he also runs up to greet you when you come home (and often jumps up on your shoulder for a hug) and he plays fetch, tag, tug of war, and my wife is teaching him badminton.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have both and they are all amazing pets.
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    DOGS!

Couldn't disagree more with fearian, my cat constantly kicked crap out of his litter box, stood in his own poop and tracked it round the house or got it stuck in his butt fluff, hated being touched or even near a human, ripped and scratched the house to pieces, peed on things vindictively when he was feeling grumpy (most of the time). He does have an adorable little face, though. D'aww.

Dogs are just people with all the shitty bits removed. Super awesome fun time adventure companion unconditional love awesomeness.

DOGS!

I do love that ol cat, but he fails as a pet in anything other than being a cute looking furry thing. I do think cats fit better with the horrific hours and crunch scenarios a cg artist might find themselves in, though. And they're probably not all mean, heartless creatures.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    I got fish, they are crazy and eat eachothers eyes! Damn right.

But i would prefer a dog over a cat. Dogs you can take for walks and stuff. Cats just bring in dead stuff!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Cats are terrible.

If you want a pet, get a rabbit or a fish. If you want a small antisocial psycho in your house get a cat. If you want a friend get a dog.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The polarization on this topic is always somewhat surprising to me. Like I said, we have both in our house and they're all great in their own way. I don't get the upside of taking a hard stance here but whatever...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    stabbington: sounds like your cat had something causing serious distress - stray cats or other wild animals outside making it feel threatened or maybe a urinary track infection, the idea of cats doing things out of spite is just as wrong as the idea of dogs feeling guilt.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    ambershee wrote: »
    BECAUSE CATS.
    38117563.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    you think cats are terrible, but rabbits are good? Rabbits eat EVERYTHING. g/f has a rabbit and its the biggest pain in my ass. Constantly chewing through her cords, making me reconnect them and crap. plus they shit everywhere
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's this idea of antisocial behavior coming from? Cats aren't pack animals but they aren't solitary either, they form colonies in the wild. So much like how dogs respect you because they see you as the alpha cats see you as the strongest member of the colony, that's what all the rubbing against the leg is about.

PS: I love cats & dogs
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    He's just a grumpy shit by nature; he's lived in three different environments over the years, urban and rural, and a clean bill of health, so nothing physical or environmental. He was as healthy and spoiled and well looked after as could be. I think, just like people, you get a gamut of personality types in animals.

I don't think dogs are much different in that regard either, certain breeds are well known for having certain temperaments by design - my previous post was meant to be lighthearted but I certainly didn't mean to say I'm viewing all animals of a species as having the same personality, which seems a totally strange concept to me.

I'm under no illusions that cats as a whole aren't antisocial asses (although mine definitely is), my brother's two are super playful and affectionate. And I've seen plenty of sketchy dogs too, but at least there's a better understanding of how to respond to and dissuade bad behaviour in dogs, I suppose.

On a side note the alpha/pack/dominance relationship with dogs is recently being viewed by animal psychologists as a misconception (caused by an outdated view of how wolf packs operate) that might be the root of a lot of common behavioural issues in dogs. Lots of interesting research on familial and trust based relationships when it comes to dog training now.

DOGS!

But I do love cats too!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    slipsius wrote: »
    you think cats are terrible, but rabbits are good? Rabbits eat EVERYTHING. g/f has a rabbit and its the biggest pain in my ass. Constantly chewing through her cords, making me reconnect them and crap. plus they shit everywhere

Rabbits are also incredibly temperamental and require a lot of attention :/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but at least there's a better understanding of how to respond to and dissuade bad behaviour in dogs, I suppose.

You can do the same with cats too - I was taking care of my friend's shy cats while he was away on vacation and I was able to coax them out and pet them with my cat communication skills.

Cats are super in tuned to body language, almost to a degree where it seems psychic - my cat knows when I'm picking her up to give snuggles or picking her up to clip her nails.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to coax them out and pet them with my cat communication skills.
    All hail the legendary cat whisperer :poly009:
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    As far as I know, it has always sort of been the case that people of poetic temperament (who often become artists, but sometimes scientists, &c) find cats to be more suitable to their disposition.

I far prefer cats. In fact, I'm a bit afraid of dogs, and repulsed at times.

I try hard to not impress human qualities onto animals.
    Cats being quiet and observant does not mean they enjoy reading Mary Shelley. And dogs being loud and goofy does not mean they enjoy going to stripclubs and getting smashed. (Not that there is anything wrong with that. Whatever floats your boats.)

Here's an satirical essay by Lovecraft on the subject:
    http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/cd.aspx

"And just as inferior people prefer the inferior animal which scampers excitedly because somebody else wants something, so do superior people respect the superior animal which lives its own life and knows that the puerile stick-throwings of alien bipeds are none of its business and beneath its notice."
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't really call myself an artist. But I do love cats. Always have. And I have my own little kitty as a pet. She is ornery, tempermental, self-centered, and just spoiled rotten. And I love her fuzzy little face.

Why do I love cats? There is no reason. It's an instinctual impulse for me. I have a natural weakness for cute things, and cats are cute by nature. (where dogs grow out of cute and become slobber monsters) It's just the way I am.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that i do actually like about dogs more is that they do require you to be active to own them. I rent so i sadly cant have any pets, but whenever i visit parents i spend a ton of time with the dogs.

It's good to get out of the house and a dog is a great reason to go outside and get some sunlight.

God knows most of us need it.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I've always been a dog person but then my lady wanted a kitty and now I'm a cat person :( haha now she hates it as the cat loves me more mwah hahahaha. He doesn't play too well with our bunnies though and my god what the hell are they eating that their poops smell so bad. I've got him trained really well though that when you play he doesn't have his claws out so its loads of fun and he plays fetch with tennis balls!?!

The main reason I like them is that you gotta work for your affection, dogs are all needy and give it up too easy haha and cats just seem more intelligent and do stupid things. I still love dogs though, I really want a Samoid haha
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I like dogs and cats but can only have a cat at the moment, I will say one thing though, if you're getting a cat, get a male or save up money prehand for getting either gender spayed :(
    Stuck with these at the moment, till their future owners pick them up anyway:
    tgRimoz.jpg
    From experience I can say most cats are very sociable and affectionate when you don't give in to all of their needy or bitchy whims :P
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ oh god this is where this thread finally burst out with cuteness
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my cat acting like a lion
    sasha01.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Eeeee! Four kittens on the lap at the same time! Cuteness overload!

Also, Justin, your lion cat looks very regal.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my , what have i started :D. Guess my worries are over yes i am obsessed with cats, may be its due to my tension of no job. But CATS rule my 2 kittens do back flips and jump on trees while playing with me. They are feral kittens that I am trying to socialize, too bad I cant have them indoors so they ll remain wild ferals at heart. :(
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfool how you managed to do that? they dont get claws out while playing...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    itssohooooottt.jpg
    Here's one of mine--in the middle of august a few years back, wishing he didn't have so much fur.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I don't really care for pet animals at all. I would prefer to never have a dog/cat/any animal. Then again I havent had a pet since I was a wee lad, but still, don't want pets. But thats just me.

I know lots of people love them and have had to deal with gf in the past and I'm sure in the future who will want animals. I don't hate them, or have a problem with having them around. If they wanted a dog/cat I would be cool with having one around all the time. But its just not something I would go out of my way to own.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's basically how I feel about children. :P
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Eh I'm not a fan of cats or dogs. I think it stems from the fact I was always allergic as a kid.

I do have animals though; 1 corn snake, 1 bearded dragon, 2 leopard geckos.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw snap! Were posting pictures of our cats?! So excited!

P8082405.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cat and a kitty cat and a meow meow meow meowmeowmeow
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Yeaaaah cats time :thumbup:

394539_454956717868695_87668182_n.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this thread.

Also nyx, your cats are beautiful.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    2344517066_polls_i_like_turtles_4958_207342_answer_3_xlarge_xlarge.jpeg

nah , i don`t have any pets because i live in a small apartment on the top floor so it isn`t ideal for the animal to go outside without me and i don`t like them being locked up an entire time in such a small space
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    Then again I havent had a pet since I was a wee lady,

Did you used to be Antonia?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Crazyfool how you managed to do that? they dont get claws out while playing...

I think you gotta start with them when they are super young but I just made sure to play with him really gently and softly and then when the claws come out you just stop playing. After a while he got the message haha but he still gets his claws out now and then when he gets carried away or worked up.