Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vespa SS 180 model for Marmoset Skyshop Demo

Recently I got the chance to work on a vehicle to show off some of the cool stuff we’re doing at Marmoset, naturally I went with a FLCL inspired Vespa SS 180. If you caught us at the GDC Polycount meetup, this is the model from the Skyshop and Toolbag 2 demos that we were showing off.

Fancy Modo renders of the highpoly:

vesparender01.jpg

vesparender02.jpg

vesparender03.jpg

vesparender04.jpg

Wires:

vespawires_01.jpg

Textures:

vespaTextureSheet.jpg

The Vepsa texture was done about 98% with dDo and nDo from Quixel, it was the first chance I had to use dDo extensively on an asset like this and I am really happy with the results.

And lowpoly textured shots lit with Skyshop image based lighting and shaders:

vespascreenshot01.jpg

vespascreenshot02.jpg

vespascreenshot03.jpg

vespascreenshot04.jpg

vespascreenshot05.jpg

We should have a Unity web demo up soon showcasing the Vespa model with our Skyshop shaders and lighting system.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that is awesome! love the materials and those tree shadows!
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Gorgeous! I like your texture-presentation method too :]
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    That's gorgeous! Great work on it! :D
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    yeah, looks great joe. Skyshop has been really fun to mess around with.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Funny, I modeled a Vespa a few years ago and ended up with the same blue color for the paint and used that same HDR in your first render. :)

The renders are looking slick and I can't wait to try Skyshop sometime.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Looks awesome, and good material definition.

Also, that texture presentation:
    Ij1qR4B.png
    It looks good! It might be interesting to implement a feature that-auto generates these, or similar layouts, right into Marmoset Toolbag.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actually a pretty cool idea :)
    And maybe diferent shapes for the texture presentation
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    jStins wrote: »
    Funny, I modeled a Vespa a few years ago and ended up with the same blue color for the paint and used that same HDR in your first render. :)

The renders are looking slick and I can't wait to try Skyshop sometime.

Hehe yeah I've been wanting to model one for a long time. But now I want to own one!
    Computron wrote: »

It looks good! It might be interesting to implement a feature that-auto generates these, or similar layouts, right into Marmoset Toolbag.

Hey, this is actually a pretty cool idea. I'm not sure if we will be able to do it or exactly how it would work, but its a good idea nonetheless.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    great work again EQ. You said most of the texture work was nDO/dDO. how did that compare time wise to more standard methods of texturing?
  • Clos323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »

Ij1qR4B.png

this presentation is so pimp..ima have to take this thing hostage..hope you dont mind if i try a similar set up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coots7 wrote: »
    great work again EQ. You said most of the texture work was nDO/dDO. how did that compare time wise to more standard methods of texturing?

Its hard to give a time number to it, because I spent a lot of time experimenting with different effects and getting used to how the app works. As I get more accustomed to using it that aspect will surely shrink in time.

But even then, its so quick and easy, specifically being able to edit diffuse, spec, gloss and height content all at once with easy little sliders and no need to copy paste between the various layer groups in photoshop, that saves a HUGE amount of time for me.

So it definitely saves a lot of time, and really for me makes texturing less of a hassle in general, it removes a lot of those little tedious steps that make setting up materials a real grind. That's what I like most about it.
    Clos323 wrote: »
    this presentation is so pimp..ima have to take this thing hostage..hope you dont mind if i try a similar set up.

Yeah no problem, feel free. I can't even take credit for it, Andres Reinot, one of our programmers at Marmoset came up with it while working on some promo material for Skyshop.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for your input EQ!
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    This looks really great!
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    That looks really really nice.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    great stuff, awesome presentation.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    dude. that is nuts. crazy awesome.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Now for something that I am really excited about. We've been working with the guys at Quixel to integrate Marmoset Skyshop into their awesome tools. The latest version of dDo is running Skyshop shaders for their 3d preview tool, which means you can preview how your textures will look in Marmoset Toolbag 1.09 directly from dDo.

Heres a shot:
    vespaddo_01.jpg

We're getting close to release for Skyshop, so we should have some official information soon, but for now check out dDo for a preview of what is in store.
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Solid work, I've always wanted a vespa :)
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    why is 8monkey so awesome.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome, The texture presentation made it into dDo!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    If the games would looks like this, then I would play with them. I really missing this resolution/geometry detail/lighting from today's games.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    This is so awesome! It got me even more exited about Marmoset 2.0 :) Hoping to get some news about that asap :D
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    uBUHk3v.jpg

That is all...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've got a Unity Web Demo up now, should have some more info as soon as Skyshop makes it through it through the Unity asset store submission process.
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Looks really great. :)
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    We've got a Unity Web Demo up now, should have some more info as soon as Skyshop makes it through it through the Unity asset store submission process.

Man, thats very awesome!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Brilliant. Love the camera model too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lovely work, great example assets
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    EQ, someone (My teacher) recently speculated that with Skyshop in dDo, what purpose does anyone have to buy and use marmoset?

I replied with a few tidbits about new features that'll be in Marmoset, but I couldn't remember everything I'd read. And what I've read, I'm sure, is only a very small selection of things that'll be included. Is there a compiled list anywhere of how awesome Marmoset 2 will really be?
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    that preview tool looks amazing! need to give these tools a try
  • Daves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    Skyshop and the Demo look realy cool so far.
    I have a question about the normal marmoset toolbag, is it possible to apply the specular based lighting there as easy as in skyshop? didnt find it.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson: The differences are pretty huge, using dDo you need photoshop, it is also more expensive than marmoset if you are only looking for presentation.
    Also the standalone marmoset toolbag allows you to add dynamic lights and have more control all together like setting up a scene.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, really glad you like it!
    Joopson wrote: »
    EQ, someone (My teacher) recently speculated that with Skyshop in dDo, what purpose does anyone have to buy and use marmoset?

I replied with a few tidbits about new features that'll be in Marmoset, but I couldn't remember everything I'd read. And what I've read, I'm sure, is only a very small selection of things that'll be included. Is there a compiled list anywhere of how awesome Marmoset 2 will really be?

This is actually a really good question. As stromberg mentions toolbag 1.09 offers a lot more than the quick previewer you get with dDo. dDo's previewer is great if you need to load a mesh and preview one texture set, however Marmoset Toolbag offers a lot more in terms of setting up custom lighting, dynamic lights, dealing with multiple textures/materials, multiple/complex shader types, post fx, and things like video and turntable export as well.

So really I would say, if you want a quick preview of your work, dDo is excellent, if you plan on doing a more complicated presentation, Toolbag is going to be more flexible.

From a company perspective, having Marmoset Skyshop tech running in dDo is great, the Quixel guys have done a great job making reflectance presets that work really well in Marmoset Toolbag, so getting our shaders directly in their tool makes matching up content from dDo to Toolbag that much easier. We really consider it a win-win.

Moving forward, Toolbag 2.0 is going to focus on higher-end rendering techniques with a revamped, much easier to use scene system that will make it much easier to manage complex assets/scenes. I can't really promise specifics about it now, but basically Toolbag 2.0 is the next step for us in terms of features and rendering quality.
    Daves wrote: »
    Skyshop and the Demo look realy cool so far.
    I have a question about the normal marmoset toolbag, is it possible to apply the specular based lighting there as easy as in skyshop? didnt find it.

I'm really not sure what you mean, Marmoset Toolbag 1.09 uses the same image based lighting for diffuse and specular reflections that Skyshop uses. To enable specular reflections you need to click the specular checkbox, for more on how the IBL system and material system works in toolbag check out: The material tutorial and the basic lighting tutorial.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm getting a download error. All it says is failed to download the datafile, with a Error details that says Download failed, please retry.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm getting a download error. All it says is failed to download the datafile, with a Error details that says Download failed, please retry.

We've been having some issues with our servers, trying to sort that out. For now just try again, or maybe try in a different browser?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    looks great!

not sure if it was asked already, will there be an export to web feature inside toolbag ?
    something that exports out an html file with all necessary elements so anyone can integrate it easily to their website ?

if not, i think that would be a great feature. exporting unity object right out of toolbag would be great. of course one needs to have unity installed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    looks great!

not sure if it was asked already, will there be an export to web feature inside toolbag ?
    something that exports out an html file with all necessary elements so anyone can integrate it easily to their website ?

if not, i think that would be a great feature. exporting unity object right out of toolbag would be great. of course one needs to have unity installed.

This is something we're looking into a little bit, but no concrete plans at the moment. Right now Toolbag and Skyshop are two totally different apps, but getting them to work together in some way may be an option down the line.

Marmoset Skyshop is a set of tools for generating image based lighting content from panoramic photos, plus a set of shaders that match the Toolbag rendering style, so you'll be able to use Skyshop in any Unity project that you like, be it a full on game, a web demo, or a mobile project (though mobile support is still beta).

We're waiting on the submission to clear through the Unity store, then we'll have an official announcement with more details about features.
  • EarthQuake