Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First tank model

Having done a sports car I wanted to do something larger and decided to try to model a M1A1 Abrams, Just finished a modeling 2 course and now just building up a portfolio. I welcome any and all critique comments and suggestions

Replies

• theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    definitelly study some references and redo parts as close to ref as possible, good luck
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good idea is to start big, block in the basic shapes so you get the proportions nailed early on.
  • denster1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any particular part Paul or just a general re overhaul I have around a dozen or so reference mostly blue prints. The main thing i did not like was the curvature at the top seem to sharp but matched several of the reference and the shortness match one but not another. Thank you for your input guys
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    well the wheels has depth and lots of screws . Tracks arent very similar to reference too
    imageshack.us/a/img195/8648/364409.jpg
    http://www.tardec.info/GVSETNews/images/060701_photo3.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Clicked the tumbnail and lost my post t_t

Everything is fairly wrong in terms of overall size/proportions, tracks don't seem wide enough, the actual shapes are off, wheels should have a deeper inset, sprocket at the back is to small.

As Sinister said, and it's just really important, start with doing a blockout of the whole thing.
    Cylinders for the wheels, a box that follows a spline/path (whatever the maya equivalent is), simple box modelling for the tank itself.

If you don't do this you will lose a lot of time, and probably frustration, because this is the hard part, do them now with basic shapes, post it, get feedback and fix that.
    Detailing is fun, but that is the easy part.

and for portfolio stuff, it doesn't matter how well the detail is done, if some proportions are off, it just brings the whole thing down.

Especially for tanks, there are generally some tricky parts (the underside and how the wheels connect due, the relation between the turret and the lower body (especially if you keep in mind it has to turn).

Some tips that I generally do:

-In the blockout (and later to a certain extent) for every single thing you add or model, triplecheck your reference, just extruded something? doublecheck if it's actually the right width.

-When checking reference don't use 1 picture, but use multiple picture and preferrably from multiple angles.

-When in doubt, use some rough measurements of things in relation to eachother.
    This probably sounds silly, but I use my fingertip as a "unit", and don't rely on it to heavy, but when something is 3high/5wide, and yours is 3high/10wide, something is probably wrong.
  • denster1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the follow up Paul, thanks joe ill work on getting the proportions