Home General Discussion

finding Freelance

Hey all,

Been a while since I last posted but hoping to get a bit more active soon with my posts XD

I’ve recently been trying to find a position as in a studio for a while now, without much luck and I’m now looking at doing some freelance work for the experience and start making some money from what I love doing (though I do realize I won’t be able to support myself off this alone, at least from the start) and get some new work rotated into my portfolio.

I’ve been looking all over Polycount on the forum and wiki and seen a lot of the discussions out there about freelancing that all seem like some amazing advice, though here is my problem.

From my searching I haven’t been able to find far where some good places are to find freelance work. I know there is the Remote/Contract Work (Freelance) though it currently seems to be more people posting their availability than jobs available, thought there is some, and I am keeping an eye on it.

And there are outsourcing studios though I've only found a handful which includes:

Fireproof
3 Point Studios
3D Creation Studio

So I’m looking for any advice people might have on where I should start my searching.

Replies

• Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Usually freelance jobs find you, from word of mouth from someone else. HTH :)
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Starting off your career freelancing is a difficult route to take, but imo its very rewarding. What you have to do is be on everybody's radar, in a sense you have to market yourself.
    How are freelance jobs going to find you if nobody knows who you are?
    Be active in online communities like polycount, keep working hard to improve your skill sets, and keep applying to any studio you can. It'll take some time starting off freelancing to get solid footing.

Hope that helps, best of luck.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Check out the Unity/UDK forums, there's usually some commercial sections you can find on stuff like Eat3D, 3D Total or similar sites. Try not to under sell yourself too much because if you're doing a week - 2 week project for peanuts it'll kill your motivation faster than anything! Keep updating your folio and getting your name out there :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Also might I add a way to make some money not necessarily through freelance. I know some people on PC do this stuff full-time:

-Unity Asset Store
    -Dota 2 Workshop
    -TF2 Workshop
  • crestas69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@spiderDude: that does help a lot, I can understand it’s a hard route to go down and I’ve tried in the past, I’ve tried to be more active with polycount but something always seems to come it with my current course though that is coming to an end very soon so I will hopefully be majorly posting on my thread in pimping and previewing and get some fresh work into my portfolio.

@torch: cheers I’ll have to keep that in mind because I don’t expect to be living off the freelance income for a while and I will be getting a day job to best support myself and I can imagine if I’m coming back to do work that I’m getting peanuts for work I might not like doing will demotivate me completely

@Sukotto: wow I must admit I hadn’t thought about that, I remember the steam talk from last year’s Euro Gamer where he talked about that but I didn’t know if many art pieces were moving into the games to make money, I’ll defiantly have to look more into that

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, if anyone has any suggestions of where to focus on my work it’s completely welcome. Some of the work on the website is missing some improvements I have done but I still appreciate the advice

Link: geometryworks.co.uk