Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Substrata] - Hopefully something cool :).

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Evening.

So finally decided to create a piece for the Substrata project (http://www.autodestruct.com/substrata.htm).

Tons of ideas floating about (the competition is open ended and theres always thing interesting to model!) so over the next week or two i'll try to narrow them down and solidify a theme and a design.

I am happy with a fair few of the silhouettes though so I can imagine I may work on some of them at a later date if I don't get the opportunity to within the given time frame.

Good luck to all those taking part :).

substrata_thumbs.jpg

Replies

• Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I really like 6 but 21 is sick! He just looks dangerous and confident :P
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Cool! Glad to see another modeler enter the fray.

6,15,18,21 all stand out to me as being cool - I'm sure you'll do something awesome regardless though!
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome Sugartits! :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch wrote: »
    Welcome Sugartits! :)

Cheers sweetcheeks :poly124:

Going through Gav's thread and reading through the things that he wants to learn/improve on whilst approaching this project, I thought more about the things I wanted to improve on too.

Whilst I want to make a sculpt as the end result, I also want to take this opportunity to improve on my 2D skills as I feel that these need to be developed dramatically. Being able to approach a design with the ability to determine local values, silhouette and personality in 2D rather than jumping straight into 3D is my aim for this project. So heres my trial run of a concept idea. I will be doing quite a few more before I even consider going into sculpting so for now just think of these as an extension of my thumbnails rather than any final ideas.

I reused a lot of elements from my old DOTA entry for this one, and (unintentially) some elements War out of Darksiders.

executioner_concept_1.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another 2D idea. Pretty fun so far and i'm seeing the progress from the previous idea. I've found that its pretty fast to solidify a design this way rather then trying to wing it in 3D, only to realise that a particular design element doesn't work and then you have to go back to the beginning.

Will approach a few more before I approach one in 3D.

substrata_concept_2.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Awesome stuff so far man, I think either one of these would be awesome to model out. Thanks for sharing your progress so far!