Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

Flumpinator
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some portfolio feedback please. I'm hoping to gain work as an environment artist so if anyone could enlighten me on certain subjects I might be lacking, presentation issues, image culling, skills that aren't present etc. then I would love to hear your ideas!

My portfolio is here:

http://sophieholt.carbonmade.com/

I'll also be posting the project I'm currently working on which was the monthly noob challenge #4 but I'm taking my sweet time to develop it properly.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• David_Sola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall everything is ok but i would type environemt artist after the name.Split sections for assets,environments,characters.It will be easier to perceive whats going on.And try to do better presentations like more wire shots,clay,lit,unlit etc.
    But yeah keep updating your site.
    I hope my advices helped you
  • magmabolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magmabolt polycounter lvl 13
    nice, I like the layout and how you handled the descriptions. The work is pretty sweet as well though I would consider either improving the revolver's render or taking it out. Compared to the rest of your work it's pretty weak.
  • ham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ham
    I'm sure it's just an unintentional byproduct of the way you have set up your site, but the first image on the front page is concept art you didn't do. That's pretty misleading to a potential employer.
    I would probably cull the WIP stuff till its finished, it can give the impression that you are not committed if there are too many unfinished pieces on your site.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I really like it. Simple, Nice Layout. Good clear, short descriptions.

The only point's i'd make are the one's that have a;ready been said.
    I looked at that concept image first which means that i have that level of quality in mind before i look at the other images. Should perhaps change it to a shot of your wip assets...

I'd also try to condense the images into fewer projects. Maybe move your turntable sculpt images in with your sculpted man. You could easily get rid of that extra project at the bottom or even get it down to a nice locked portfolio screen with 6 projects?

On the whole, really nice. Good luck :)
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    I am also a student but I'll try to give as much critique I can think of

You should only show your best assets. Take away your gun, its not holding the same quality as your other stuff.

Try to achieve a better layout on your pictures. You have the spirited away statue in two sections. Try to have them collected like your abandoned mansion, so people have to click less times

Otherwise everything else looks good! I guess I would want to have bigger pictures to show as much details as possible from your scenes.

I've would recommend take away the facebook link and the picture on yourself. It might affect a negative bias, thats what I've heard only thou..

:)

(oh, people did post before me! I'll let it stay thou!)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd include an e-mail link on the title banner, and your name and contact information on the images.

On a side note, your "Oregon" scene seems more like something from southern Arizona or New Mexico.

Have you thought about adding more decay to the abandoned mansion? Heavy dust, cobwebs, and water damage would seem to fit the setting. Cloth-covered furniture would also be appropriate, and would add to the overall spookiness of the setting.

From the description in one of the later images, I believe that the main image of the "Fairytale Project" was rendered in UDK; if so, you should certainly mention it in the text.
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to help me everyone, all good advice :)
    I've started to change it up and will get to work on the presentation when I have a chunk of time.

@DWalker: Thanks for the specifics too, I'll re-visit the mansion & Oregon stuff, do some more research..

In terms of content though, should I be looking at creating a hard surface based piece or even a vehicle? Not sure exactly what I may be lacking?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks decent so far, leave the Mech part away, its definitely the worst and just drags you down.

Try beeing consistent with your backgrounds for the asset shots. You have different greys, (theres nicer stuff than grey btw) also different borders, and that looks inconsistent
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    Make sure that the images can be saved out/dragged into an open folder. Employers often save out images that they like so they don't have to search through every website when they come to review chosen candidates. Like before, make sure you have your name and contact details on every image laid out in the same style. Make it nice and easy for em'

Just my two cents on the matter :)

p.s lovely work btw :D
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never thought about employers saving images out, thanks!
    And I shall work on the consistency, although I thought grey was a good neutral colour to use, would a variation of grey be ok? I don't want to put anyone off with a garish or uncomplimentary background.
    Also I found a better portfolio site as my images are compressed by this one so I'll be switching to that when I'm done:
    http://www.squarespace.com/