Home General Discussion

The Punk Genre and Games.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
What are some good examples of Steam punk and/or Diesel Punk from games? Ones that had a consistent believable world.

To me dishonored and Thief are off branches as they seem more 16-18th century like cities and have magic.

And to help my understanding. Diesel Punk is like 1930-45s with futuristic equipment? As in Falloff isn't a good example as that is more 1950s with nuclear power.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcanum had a pretty good steampunk world.
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Crimson Skies is kinda diesel punk.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol damit just logged in to say Crimson Skies, that game needs to be remade.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Machinarium is the one that pops into my head immediately. If that counts, I dunno.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Genre. i can spelz

Arcanum seems magic based though as well.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Genre. i can spelz

Arcanum seems magic based though as well.
    Steamworks and majik obscura, if you will.

The Thief series has a relatively Steam-punkish setting.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Damnation was steampunk world I think
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Wasn't there adventure game called Syberia or something, also set in steampunk world?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Paradan wrote: »
    lol damit just logged in to say Crimson Skies, that game needs to be remade.

This.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like nobody has the balls to go all out Steampunk, it always has to be mixed with magic or fantasy. I think the fact that the genre has been overtaken by goths sort of muddies the water a bit as well.

and I just found out Lego is doing a steampunk line: http://io9.com/holy-lego-is-making-a-steampunk-line-496044951
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    It seems that Microsoft still own Crimson Skies. Smith & Tinker had a deal back in 2007 or so. But there website is dead. I was kind of hoping Harebrained pick this up when they got Shadowrun, but no :( .
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not sure I'd call Crimson Skies steampunk. That was all feasible 1930s-1940s technology, just alternate history that led to different tech emphasis. Maybe avgas-punk...? Not sure with that one.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they were referencing it as Diesel Punk, Garage.

And yea Justin, wtf is it with the magic/fantasy?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    if you want steampunk done right (imo) you should read "outlaws of the air" by george griffith. In the age where steam was the main propulsion deal they fantasized more about more efficient (but usually totally hypothetical) fuels. OOtA, if i remember correctly, is centred around burning a special powder as fuel.

So it's not really "steam" punk at all - But the book was written in the late 19th century when most things were in fact steam powered... It just shows a very different and wolly "authentic" angle on that "world"

One thing that isn't any different, though, is the obsession with airships. Again, the most interesting thing about that book, is that the author had legitimate hope in his heart for the military airships of the future with no real regard for aeroplanes, whereas us, and every other modern author, can only ever see them as a quirk of history or a curiosity.

It also details the operations and tactics of those airships pretty convincingly, which most "steampunk/airship" themed stuff loves to just gloss over.

....I know i'm not answering your question. But we're all developers or artists here right? We might be the ones to make such a game in the future. And if we do, i hope we're very aware of our source material... So we don't end up with repeats of mediocre attempts we've already seen.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    final fantasy fucking vi
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Old fart alert: Martian Dreams from Origin - similar to U6, except on Mars with Victorian style robots and martians. Meet Tesla, Freud and other People from that time period.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    if you want steampunk done right (imo) you should read "outlaws of the air" by george griffith. In the age where steam was the main propulsion deal they fantasized more about more efficient (but usually totally hypothetical) fuels. OOtA, if i remember correctly, is centred around burning a special powder as fuel.

So it's not really "steam" punk at all - But the book was written in the late 19th century when most things were in fact steam powered... It just shows a very different and wolly "authentic" angle on that "world"

One thing that isn't any different, though, is the obsession with airships. Again, the most interesting thing about that book, is that the author had legitimate hope in his heart for the military airships of the future with no real regard for aeroplanes, whereas us, and every other modern author, can only ever see them as a quirk of history or a curiosity.

It also details the operations and tactics of those airships pretty convincingly, which most "steampunk/airship" themed stuff loves to just gloss over.

....I know i'm not answering your question. But we're all developers or artists here right? We might be the ones to make such a game in the future. And if we do, i hope we're very aware of our source material... So we don't end up with repeats of mediocre attempts we've already seen.

Fwiw its online.

http://www.dieselpunks.org/m/blogpost?id=3366493%3ABlogPost%3A44109

Harry would you still suggest reading even if your focused on non air combat games?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Fwiw its online.

http://www.dieselpunks.org/m/blogpost?id=3366493%3ABlogPost%3A44109

Harry would you still suggest reading even if your focused on non air combat games?

mmmmmmmmmmaybe. The general flavour and optimism of it gives a better picture of what was really considered high tech at the time. Maybe read until you feel like youve gained as much as you wanted to gain from it. Its kinda like jules verne or something. You wouldnt read it just for inspiration on a steampunk submarine game, its about how people talk about the subject matter that kinda puts you in the picture of how people were thinking and really gives it flavour that isnt just a reskinned sci fi.