Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need suggestion for portfolio

Daniel Duy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
Hello Polycount, I'm a new member and need your help for my portfolio. I've just build my first website (ever) and started kicking my stuffs online. Such a shame,the only thing I can do is copy the layout from other members's portfolio. :(

http://leoduycg.blogspot.com/

Please, give me some advice about both my artworks and website. Really want to learn from other people's ideas.

Thank you :poly142:

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would remove the knight armor sets and the missile launcher. And probably concept props 1 and 2.

The image branding is a bit excessive, maybe just have the header and tail part of it on the first and last pics of a set. Your logo/name branding is a bit big, and the D is hard to read for some reason. Since your name does not pull up your portfolio website with a google search, you might want to list your website URL with the images. The title box is a bit large and boring as well.

I love the 2 hand painted scenes and the mech concept art, get some more work of that quality finished and you'll be able to land a job.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    love the sky rider environment. Your textures LOOK great but seem very inefficient and are packed together weird. Instead of combining a lot of your props into a 2k texture split it up into smaller 256 or 512 textures. If you wanted to use that boat in an icy world, well now you have to draw a 2K map with useless information on it cause the rest of your textures are ice world. Its probably also a good idea to think of tiling as much as possible. The roof, cliff/rock face, wood planks, wall w/stone, grass (which you have), could be their own 512 (maybe 1K) tiling texture. Really nice hand paint work though.
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you. Wow, there are many thing need to be fix. Thank you for your suggestion. I think about posting progress of future projects, It's gonna be better if somebody let me know if my work have problem at the beginning.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Environment for Game" would probably be better as "Game Environment".

Clicking on an image brings up a smaller version of the picture; this is pretty much the opposite of what I'd expect.

Did you render the game environments in Max/Maya, or in a game engine? If it's in-game, you should probably indicate which engine.

The bronze cannon material doesn't look like bronze. You might also want to darken the texture or add some verdigris to add age.

I don't agree that you need to get rid of the SAM, but it doesn't seem to match the original. (I'm assuming it's an S75 Dvina/SA-2 Guideline). The fins - especially the large ones near the middle of the missile - don't have the same shape as the original. The weathering on the missile itself is odd. The dark streaks near the middle almost seem to be from exhaust, and I can't tell what the black blob ahead of the middle fins is meant to be.
    S-75_Volchov.JPG

On your resume page, you should include an education section, especially as you mention that you are a graduate student. The "Training outside university" belongs in the education section rather than the work experience section.