Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Emma Smith - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
Ciao polycount!

I'm coming up to the end of university soon and I am starting to apply for some jobs (Scary stuff) and thought it was time to post my portfolio on polycount for some feedback. I've literally been terrified to do this since I started 3D a year and a half ago, just because the quality of work on here is so great it's sometime's intimidating!

I am very, very open to feedback as I know my work isn't too great, but all I want to do is improve and finally smash that dream of working in the industry.

Portfolio is at:

www.ladyknowles.co.uk

Some work:

grave1.jpg

final.jpg

chair2.jpg

dishonored1.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

Thanks so much guys <3 Endless Polycount love.

Replies

• kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Very good job. I like that Dishonored art jam piece a lot! For a fellow who started 3d a year and a half ago, this is truly amazing stuff.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful stuff! There are a few tiny nitpicky things (the pumpkin's glow ends a little suddenly, the door in the bedroom looks like it stands out from the wall a little) but overall it's super strong stuff. I've always loved that Dishonoured piece of yours.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Real cool work. I didn't know you had only donw 3d for a year and a half, wow.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Really like your stuff, especially the chair and the pumpkin. Love the style but maybe It would be worth doing a more realistic piece just to show variety?

Also you probably need a resume separate to your linked in, I get this message if I try and view it: "Full profiles for 3rd-degree connections are available only to premium account holders."
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Love the Hocus Pocus reference :)

Overall the portfolio design is really good! Great work and navigating is easy. My only crit is that when you hover over a category, the text and background color that appear covers the whole image. Personally I'd still like to know what I'm hovering over. Perhaps only make it go up part way, or have transparency on it? Just a nitpick :P

Keep up the great work!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looking like a good start...one thing on the pistol though, while you might see a texture like that on the top of the slide though not quite as noisy, the sides of the slab would be machined and there by much smoother.

I suggest you also look at high resolution photographs of 'blued' pistols, like the Walther and the 1911.

Good luck with your future....like the chair piece.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The graveyard scene seems to present some contradictions - the dates on the headstones and the tree indicate a very old cemetery, but the fence and the headstones look relatively new and undamaged. I'd expect more weathering on the headstones, possibly with some of the writing fading on the older one, moss, or broken or missing pieces. Also, consider having the tree force the fence out of alignment as it grew. Finally, wrought iron fences from that era typically had spikes at the top. Why? Because people were dying to get in.. (Sorry; that one was probably old when Thackery was young....)
    Cemetaryfence-copyright.jpg

er... hmm... moving on, then...

In the wartime bedroom, the seam between the floor boards feels much too thick, and the floor texture overall just doesn't match the quality of the textures on the walls. The newspapers seem a bit too orderly - since you were going for a very low-poly scene, you obviously didn't want to was too many polygons on them, but I think bending the odd corner would make them look a bit less staged. A normal map might also help to give them a feeling of depth - seams, wrinkles, that sort of thing. The blanket also feels a bit forced - it doesn't look like it was tossed aside when the occupant got out of bed, but it also doesn't look like the bed was made. The lighting implies some sort of ceiling light, but I couldn't see any. The door frame is much too thick - it should be about as thick as the wooden border are the base of the wall. On a very minor note, you wrote "handp ainted" instead of "hand-painted" in the description.

If possible, when you are basing a piece on a concept, you should post a link to the concept's site, if not to the image itself. You might also want to get the artist's consent; legal issues aside, it's polite and most concept artists love to see what others have done with their work.

I agree with Boozebeard about creating a separate page for your resume, possibly including a link to a downloadable version.