Home General Discussion

Criticism from gamers

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

I know we need criticism from the people who know exactly how and what they are doing, the pros but are any of you showing your work (in game) to gamers ?

Do you see it as a valid or valuable opinion for a gamer to be critical of your work. I know a few serious gamers at my work and I have let them see some of my in game creations, basic environment & level design for the moment.

The reason I am doing this is obvious.

I would appreciate your views/comments on this because I use to do this with my music many moons ago and the difference in opinions between people in the industry and music lovers was startling at times.

Cheers

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I take gamer feedback with a huge grain of salt. But then again, I'm quite cynical.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Non-professional feedback can sometimes be useful, as they see things differently from pros, but as far as artistic feedback, take it with a grain of salt and trust professional opinions.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the person and what they say. Good crits can come from anywhere and its important to keep the point of view of the end user in mind when working. Quite often they have insightful things to say and have different priorities than we do, other times they are just flat out self entitled smacktards with nothing useful to add.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I agree that it can be useful. And often times they can recognize when something is wrong, they just do know the solution. Whereas another professional artist would know the solution. But a confirmation of an error can be super useful.

I remember reading an article years ago that at Pixar everyone watches the movies and are allowed to comment. Because a fresh pair of eyes can give valuable information even if it isn't their specialty.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Depends innit.

What is more relevant is being able to decipher what they actually mean when they give crits; often they don't really understand the methodology etc.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yes most of the time their crits are based on misconceptions so as a developer you have to find out a nice way to explain the reality to them. For instance, every multifaction MMO has fans on both sides raging about how the other side is OP and "the devs must only play faction X" while on the dev side you look at metrics showing fairly balanced numbers as far as power and population.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't consider non-artist's opinions often. If you've seen the stuff people praise on the Nexus, you'd have a hard time taking the layman seriously. I've seen rather hideous work getting a lot of endorsement often there. Like this crap, for example: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32631/
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I heard somewhere that if random people are actually putting in the effort to tell you how much they think you suck then you're actually doing pretty well.

If professionals say you suck though...
    I don't consider non-artist's opinions often. If you've seen the stuff people praise on the Nexus, you'd have a hard time taking the layman seriously. I've seen rather hideous work getting a lot of endorsement often there. Like this crap, for example: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32631/

That has like 5 endorsements man.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    repete wrote: »
    Hello all

I know we need criticism from the people who know exactly how and what they are doing, the pros but are any of you showing your work (in game) to gamers ?

Do you see it as a valid or valuable opinion for a gamer to be critical of your work. I know a few serious gamers at my work and I have let them see some of my in game creations, basic environment & level design for the moment.

The reason I am doing this is obvious.

I would appreciate your views/comments on this because I use to do this with my music many moons ago and the difference in opinions between people in the industry and music lovers was startling at times.

Cheers

Often times gamers also don't know the technical limitations so unless it's really general I wouldn't bother with it too much. Every gamer wants to never see jagged edges or blurry textures ever again. But we know something they don't... which is that they would get 1 fps if we gave them everything they ask for.

Also non artists usually wont know the why... We design the art to guide gamers through the game, all of that stuff is meant to be picked up on a subconscious level. (players automatically go to the brighter areas on a map... how to use color to draw attention to what you want seen, etc , ect.)

Also I've heard gamers say they weren't impressed with the graphics of diablo 3... so for sure take it all with a grain of salt.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Overlord wrote: »

haha, seems overly harsh to call it crap, more like tables being turned

this comic illustrates it pretty well link
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    What does that have to do with it being an ugly ass mod, Justin?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    There is an art form to reading between the lines. If a gamer suggests a change, it is usually more helpful to distil it back to why he is suggesting the change and not so much what they are suggesting.

Like lets say he says:
    "This game is unbalanced you should nerf that guys strength!"

Maybe increasing the block speed of the other guy is a better option.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that if random people are actually putting in the effort to tell you how much they think you suck then you're actually doing pretty well.

If professionals say you suck though...

That has like 5 endorsements man.

Bad example, but stuff like that gets nothing but positive feedback. Try this instead:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17163/

Or this:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14307/

Or this one, they're all supermodels:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25749/

This one made me laugh:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6585/

Ooh! It's a tiny wittle shield! It so cuwte! I never knew a metal bikini could be considered armor either.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    eh think this is kind of going off topic.
    Muzz wrote: »
    There is an art form to reading between the lines. If a gamer suggests a change, it is usually more helpful to distil it back to why he is suggesting the change and not so much what they are suggesting.

Like lets say he says:
    "This game is unbalanced you should nerf that guys strength!"

Maybe increasing the block speed of the other guy is a better option.

i agree with this though. people can tell when something looks and feels off even if they don't necessarily know why
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    If there were a way to monetize not giving a fuck about baseless negative comments my Steam Workshop items would have made me a very rich man by now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    LRoy wrote: »
    i agree with this though. people can tell when something looks and feels off even if they don't necessarily know why

Most accurate statement, also part of being an artist is understanding criticism and how to apply it to your work.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, I'll take critique from gamers for my work. They are the ones we are trying to ultimately please anyways right? And they tend to have the general idea of how new games look..since they actually have time to play them :P

I don't think that a persons opinion is invalid because they don't do art themselves. Granted an artist might be more direct, but any set of eyes besides yours offers a different perspective and new insight. I'm sure there are plenty of times where you may want to shrug off their opinions because they don't really apply really well, but sometimes people will just see things differently than you (in a good way).
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    The way I think about it sometimes is that non-artists can tell you if something is broken, while other artists can tell you how to fix it.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    art criticism is very tricky. if you stick a bunch of artists in a room and tell them to critique each others work without guidance they usually have a hard time. most people in general have a mediocre vocabulary which compounds the problem. giving a detailed and thoughtful crit can also be a lot of work and takes concentration. i have found the best crit comes from people with many years more experience then you have. people who have polished there work and skills beyond your current state of reckoning.

you can not expect gamers or the general public to have that sort of crit. what you can expect is the opinion of the viewer. that is not to be discounted. in fact its very valuable. but i would not consider it proper criticism.

the trick is to be able to weigh opinions and put them in the proper category.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I think critiquing art was maybe a thing people tried to do seriously a few years ago and actually try and help their peers improve, with todays standard of either shouting and becoming known through large mouthed comments or not getting known by actually trying to be helpful, we all know how it goes down.

It's sad when artists themselves are toxic to another like this, shameful really, for people who are in on the job, should know better then be so...vile full of bile about it.

As for gamers...well, it's a mixed bag.

With nowadays, everyone trying to find some little petty reason to get offended and instead of dissecting a piece of art and how it can be improved all in all, they either try and stigmatize it, or laugh at it with (as Gray said) with limiting vocabulary and poor understanding of what certain words under certain phrases mean.

It also doesn't help that everyone has a certain bias towards something, there will be always 'that nerd' who wants Assassin Creed set in space or ancient japan or in africa, and anything less make the art direction 'white washed' (I'm not kidding, you can thank Kotaku for such selfless site of infestation).

It also doesn't help that a majority of gamers are the 'mushy middle' of you consumer base, they're the same people that say they don't want more Nazi Zombie games, but turn around and want some more because you threw in a couple of dinosaurs or robots.

Same people who throw a couple of cogs on a piece of swimsuit and call it steampunk, all under some weird fetish I clearly missed.

So yeah, honestly, I think you should take matters into your own hands and instead 'learn how to filter criticism', because a large portion of the people on the opposite side of the table sure as hell aren't going to try.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad example, but stuff like that gets nothing but positive feedback. Try this instead:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17163/

Or this:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14307/

Or this one, they're all supermodels:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25749/

This one made me laugh:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6585/

Ooh! It's a tiny wittle shield! It so cuwte! I never knew a metal bikini could be considered armor either.

Still don't see the problem. They all still have a ridiculously low amount of endorsements in comparison to mods of good quality. I don't see how getting positive feedback for this is a problem. Consumers on places like that are not art critics they are consumers, the feedback expected is pretty much "do you like" "do you not like"

We're debating whether listening to the the end user has value for us as artists, which is definitely debatable. But in this case I don't see how if - you make art, any art, and the end user says "I like it"
    ...that's bad?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Still don't see the problem. They all still have a ridiculously low amount of endorsements in comparison to mods of good quality. I don't see how getting positive feedback for this is a problem. Consumers on places like that are not art critics they are consumers, the feedback expected is pretty much "do you like" "do you not like"

We're debating whether listening to the the end user has value for us as artists, which is definitely debatable. But in this case I don't see how if - you make art, any art, and the end user says "I like it"
    ...that's bad?

No, they're not the top mods, but they don't have to be. The problem is, that those mods get a large number of comments telling them that their art is "good" and any critique that isn't a pat on the back is quickly brushed off or attacked. A lot of people that have no real skill in art are making terrible works and getting praised like they are game industry superstars without any sort of a reality check. That's why I don't take gamers seriously, they won't even admit when something is bad. They don't really know what's good either, which is why such ugly work gets so much positive feedback.

I'd much rather take the critique of someone more experienced than myself or at least a peer of equal skill. I can usually tell on my own when something isn't right, but it sometimes take a more practiced opinion to tell me why it's not right.

Edit:

And then there is this one:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8714/

This is the most endorsed npc mod on The Nexus.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    There will always be a drift in the average consumer's(gamer) perspective and that of the professional/insider.

I dumped a questionnaire on here a while back, (Thank you to everyone who filled it out), then handed out one to public and then a set to those in my course. The gripes with what makes X Appealing was always different from each angle. Curiously simple one would be that professionals found music was the most immersive aspect of games, while average users found graphics & lighting (equally) most important.

Music is by far more immersive as proven on so many low graphic games but the users didn't care, they saw the graphics and assumed that they were immersive. (Don't tell me your heart never sank when kharak burned on Homeworld 1) You can't just disregard all that you have learnt to see it from the consumer's perspective. Nor can you lower your IQ to that of the average steam workshop voter to understand it.

Lastly if it's your own work it becomes all the harder to view it from a neutral sitting as you have a investment in it. I've only came across two artists who were indifferent to their work, one simply burnt his canvases the other whitewashed over his. An they were true artists spending a year plus on canvases (more than one at a time with smaller work in between)(makes me sad i moved away).

TLDR:

There will always be a difference of worth and weight between you and the end user. They will never know the amount of effort you have put into it, nor will they thank you easily for it. That's life, it's shit.

Homeworld bitches;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450"]Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings - YouTube[/ame]
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot guys for your responses :thumbup:

:)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, they're not the top mods, but they don't have to be. The problem is, that those mods get a large number of comments telling them that their art is "good" and any critique that isn't a pat on the back is quickly brushed off or attacked. A lot of people that have no real skill in art are making terrible works and getting praised like they are game industry superstars without any sort of a reality check. That's why I don't take gamers seriously, they won't even admit when something is bad. They don't really know what's good either, which is why such ugly work gets so much positive feedback.

I'd much rather take the critique of someone more experienced than myself or at least a peer of equal skill. I can usually tell on my own when something isn't right, but it sometimes take a more practiced opinion to tell me why it's not right.

Edit:

And then there is this one:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8714/

This is the most endorsed npc mod on The Nexus.

Well I do agree with you about the quality of artistic critiquing but I really think these are all terrible examples. I mean the nexus really, really really is not about 'giving artists a reality check'. They just ask for generic feedback up/down votes. People there don't want to rip into each others work for no good reason, good reason never being because they consider themselves to know art better.

You say gamers won't admit when something is bad; well how about looking outside of the nexus? I haven't seen more petty and more dissatisfied people than gamers. The 'Fine Art' section on Kotaku regularly shows the work of brilliant artist, even ones from Polycount and still commenters are like "shit sucks."

All of your examples are like pretty girl/pretty boy/nudie mods and so I'm getting the impression that you're not criticising the artistic talent but the artistic direction, and that therefore it's somehow right to leap up and go "hey man nudie mods? really? where's your skills? where's your artistic integrity?" Considering that people seem to want and indeed enjoy them then what's the big deal? (hell some of the sexy lady mods there if you can find them took some good skill) Are you concerned that that talent is somehow wasted?

Maybe it's just because I'm a terrible artist but I would want nothing more than to make art and be continually praised by my peers for it. I only self-flaggellate and seek the likes of you guys critique because I hope someday to get a job, and I gotta say that anybody with a mod on the net has an advantage over me right now.

**Edit
    The obvious point being here that gamer critique will never be art critique (unless they are artists) since they are approaching the game from a different angle, as consumers, and not critics. Good to have? Yes. Helpful? Maybe. Improves our art? Not really.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the day I cease to hear from people how I can improve my work is the day that I'll swear off art altogether. After all, what is their to achieve in art if there are no higher goals to reach? If nobody can tell me something I do better, then I have nothing left to gain from art. It's like winning at tic-tac-toe. At some point you realize there are no more challenges to face and it becomes devoid of appeal. I am of the mind that no work of art is ever done, only that it has to be done or I'll never work on any other piece of art for the rest of my life. And you're not a terrible artist for wanting endless praise, you just have your priorities a bit misaligned. Praise is good, but guidance is better. We all want to be appreciated, that's why we all got into art in the first place.

No, I don't endorse their artistic direction. They're playing to the weak minded and taking a shortcut to praise and notoriety. They're not trying to be good, just be popular. That's what bothers me. And the mindless praise they get is indicative of their lack of ability to competently judge art. They post and praise porn mods, so I don't trust them to have an objective and informed opinion on art. It's not really any specific mod or class of mods, but a feeling I get from browsing the hordes of mods and seeing the cream of the crap getting lauded as the greatest thing since sliced bread that gets my hackles up. The truly great stuff is deservedly praised (insanity's mods are stunning), but just as much I see the lowest common denominator getting a pat on the back.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, each to their own. I suppose we expect different things. For some reason I didn't expect a place like the nexus to have artistic critique, most mods may be graphical but it's not deviantart, they just make components that are allowed to be offered, good or bad - like the selection at your local supermarket. I admit I nitpick over stuff like that.

I'm not saying either that I want endless praise, and I know it's hard to tell through the internet but I don't feel anything disingenuous about those examples. Terrible yes, but if that's what a) the artist really wanted to make, regardless of skill and b) people really like it; Ehhhh whatever, I think itgets what it deserves. McDonalds is still raking in money from making exactly what people want, even though there's way better burgers objectively: I wouldn't question their integrity as burger makers because of that.

Btw the only reason I call myself a terrible artist is because I'm pretty much amateur and I can't pull out the experience card on any of my arguments. I hate dishonesty and one of my greatest fears about posting here is that I'll be made 'an example of' when I contribute to discussions that I may not have professional experience in.