Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique wanted !

Hi everyone, my name's Karla Zero, I'm an animation student who's just about to graduate.
I'm working towards becoming a 3D environment artist for games.

I know that there's plenty of talented people on here and I'd love to get some constructive criticism on my wee environment portfolio I've been working on.

The address is: www.karlazero.com

Just anything you can think of would be good!
Is it easy to navigate? Should I get rid of some work that's on there?
Maybe there's better ways of displaying my work-suggestions? etc.

I'd really appreciate any info, help and criticism you could give me! :)
Be harsh!

Thanks!

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Flash site = cardinal sin. As is pop-up imagse, and why not? so is breaking your site into SIX sections. Who is telling people this type of site is acceptable?! Who gave you this information? We must know so they can be removed from education.

First http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

short: HTML only, 2 pages: portfolio and resume.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    cholden wrote: »
    Flash site = cardinal sin. As is pop-up imagse, and why not? so is breaking your site into SIX sections. Who is telling people this type of site is acceptable?! Who gave you this information? We must know so they can be removed from education.

First http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

short: HTML only, 2 pages: portfolio and resume.

I agree with everything you said. I had someone the other day tell me that about my site too... to break it up into multiple sections, tons of links, banners etc. It just complicates things.

Put your best stuff first, only your best stuff on your site. Specialize too.
    The jonjones article linked above is excellent.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The biggest problem with your portfolio is that you have no game art in it, all of your scenes are subdivision models that are offline rendered.

I also think it's best to choose subject matter that isn't ubiquitous in real life (guitars/drumsets/staircases) and if you are then try to pick something that at least stands out and looks memorable

But seriously make some game ready scenes in a game engine
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I just looked at it briefly, but if you want a job as a environment artist for games you need to show game environments.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Karla! congratz on getting your website up and running. As Cholden has said the flash site is evil! I was also about to offer critique on your environment portfolio specifically about the graininess in your renders but then I realize that may be compression artifacts from flash. Once you fix up your site post it again and I'll be glad to take another look!

Also(like others have said) perhaps try taking these things and making them game ready. Also a lighting and composition pass might help make things more memorable.
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I know my environments are not made for games,like I said I'm an animation student, so all the work created was made with the skills I have as a film maker.

But I'm learning. Once I'm out of uni, I'll have time to learn some more and create something game ready, which I'm really looking forward to doing!

Aside that, I will definitely work on the site presence since it obviously doesn't appeal!

Thanks for all your replies and honest opinions! Really appreciated!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    KarlaZero wrote: »
    yeah I know my environments are not made for games,like I said I'm an animation student, so all the work created was made with the skills I have as a film maker.

But I'm learning. Once I'm out of uni, I'll have time to learn some more and create something game ready, which I'm really looking forward to doing!

Aside that, I will definitely work on the site presence since it obviously doesn't appeal!

Thanks for all your replies and honest opinions! Really appreciated!

Well, what do you really want to do? Animation or Environments for games?
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    Well, what do you really want to do? Animation or Environments for games?

I definitely want to do environments for games.
    When I started my animation course and began to learn 3D Art, I realized that environments is something I really want to do.
    So aside from working on my short films for uni, I've been using my free time to learn about game development and environment art for games and just creating enviro work on the side.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    If you are starting to work on environment art for games it might be worth jumping on the polycount hangout as there are normally poeple on with a ton of experiance who can help you directly. Its been a bit quiet recently but during the afternoon there are normally a few people on able to help.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    KarlaZero wrote: »
    I definitely want to do environments for games.
    When I started my animation course and began to learn 3D Art, I realized that environments is something I really want to do.
    So aside from working on my short films for uni, I've been using my free time to learn about game development and environment art for games and just creating enviro work on the side.

That's great, a lot of time students can have a hard time focusing on their desired discipline. You kind of have to in this industry today. The more you focus, the easier it will be...
    Tell a story with your environments. I see you're doing that already; you just need to put it into a game engine now and show some more technical (game related) breakdowns of your work.
    :)
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Looking at your portfolio some more, try getting your Without a Soul into a game engine. I'm not sure if those are sub-d objects, if yes, then bake them down to low-poly. That could be a potentially beautiful scene with the lighting coming through the windows like that.... You've got it modeled, just push the textures some more and well, see where it takes you...

I recommend getting the free Crydev engine. It's similar to 3ds max and very easy to use as an artist. It also produces great work.
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv wrote: »
    If you are starting to work on environment art for games it might be worth jumping on the polycount hangout as there are normally poeple on with a ton of experiance who can help you directly. Its been a bit quiet recently but during the afternoon there are normally a few people on able to help.

Alright kl, yeah I could try that. Do you have a link for it?
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    That's great, a lot of time students can have a hard time focusing on their desired discipline. You kind of have to in this industry today. The more you focus, the easier it will be...
    Tell a story with your environments. I see you're doing that already; you just need to put it into a game engine now and show some more technical (game related) breakdowns of your work.
    :)

Yeah, definitely over the summer I'm going to try and put some work into a game engine and see what I can do. I've been wanting to get this done for a while now.
    Thanks for the tips as well, will try that for sure!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Your last name is pretty awesome, just saying and I think It was cute to add a crying green tooth in your contact or is that necklace real?

Looks like your beginning to be a well rounded artist to say that least since your learning animation which is always good, you'll have that skill if it is needed down the road when and or if you land a gig doing environments. Also looks like your not a bad prop artist and are you working on your lighting with your renders? Looks like It to me in some of your images/renders.

I like the conceptual studies you've posted, I took a look at your blog and you got some characters you haven't posted, granted they are not finished as in textured but if you were to do some coloring for those designs I think you could stick them in your portfolio just as an added bonus/show of your abilities but that's your choice.

Looking good hope to see more you have a nice amount of skill you just have to focus on one thing which as far as I read from this thread is your environment work.

Hope this helps.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Your last name is pretty awesome, just saying and I think It was cute to add a crying green tooth in your contact or is that necklace real?
    Thats the creeper from minecraft
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To repeat the advice from others (but with links ;)) I'd download a popular engine, import a scene into that engine, and post some in-engine renders. You can get a free copy of the Crytek engine from http://mycryengine.com/, the Unreal image from http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/, and the Unity engine from http://unity3d.com/. Those are 3 of the most popular engines; browse through the sites, find one that appeals to you, and have at it! Don't worry too much about choosing the "right" one - most employers want to know that you have experience with a modern game engine, and expect to train you a bit to learn the "correct" methods (i.e. theirs) once you're hired.

I'd get rid of the "Website under construction" tag.

I'd say that your "Without a Soul" project is your strongest; I'd move it to the top. "Kitten" seems the weakest - it almost seems incomplete; I'd move it to the bottom.

I do disagree a bit about the idea of placing everything on a single page - I prefer a two-level system, with each project on it's own page. I just find this lets me have more pictures for each without creating one monstrous page.

Your materials overall seem a bit simple - aside from some subtle reflections in "Music Stage", they all seem to consist only of a diffuse color. The glass in the windows and picture frames would certainly benefit from a gloss map, while the metal and glossy paint should have a specular map. The instruments could certainly use a normal map to show additional details without the expense of geometry, and wear and tear should be visible in the specular, gloss, normal, and diffuse maps. Overall, I'd say the textures are at the 80% stage; unfortunately, that final 20% takes 80% of the time, but are really necessary if you want your work to excel.

In addition to the wireframes, most artists include information about the scene (polygon counts, textures used, and texture sizes). They also include the texture maps, often combining all the sheets into a single image split vertically or diagonally.

Make sure you include your name, engine used (if rendered by an engine), and contact information on each image. Another reason to stay away from Flash is that it's more difficult for somebody to download the image for offline viewing. I'd also include much larger images when the user clicks on the thumbnail - 1280x1024 at least; you've worked hard, why not show off? :)

Rather than linking the contact information on the banner to the "Contacts" page, I'd link them directly. Thus, link the email to a mailto: link, linkedin should go to you linked in site, etc. Personally, I'd be reluctant to include a phone number in the contact information; when somebody likes your work and wants to do an initial interview, they usually coordinate that through e-mail (scheduling is much simpler that way).

Your About page seems to be a combination about/resume page. I'd separate the two, having the about page as a discussion of your dreams/goals/ambitions and life story and the resume as a standard CV. You might also want to create a downloadable version of the resume (typically in PDF format nowadays) and have a link to it at the top of the resume page.

I'm not a big fan of black & white backgrounds - a medium gray is often a better choice. The banner with your name and title is also a bit barren - many artists use this area to showcase their work.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Good start but I would say have the art ready to be viewed right away. I have a couple of link that might help on how to set up your website "mentality" and navigation.
    http://www.galen-davis.blogspot.com/
    http://www.brameulaers.com/
    http://www.ilyanedyal.com/
    http://www.mayvin.be/index.php
    Hope this helps out!
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »

Looks like your beginning to be a well rounded artist to say that least since your learning animation which is always good, you'll have that skill if it is needed down the road when and or if you land a gig doing environments. Also looks like your not a bad prop artist and are you working on your lighting with your renders? Looks like It to me in some of your images/renders.

I like the conceptual studies you've posted, I took a look at your blog and you got some characters you haven't posted, granted they are not finished as in textured but if you were to do some coloring for those designs I think you could stick them in your portfolio just as an added bonus/show of your abilities but that's your choice.

Looking good hope to see more you have a nice amount of skill you just have to focus on one thing which as far as I read from this thread is your environment work.

Hope this helps.

that’s an actual necklace and it’s the creeper from minecraft :P

yeah I work on the lighting as well, I use different lighting techniques, and depending on the project, I use the technique that will be most appropriate.

Yeah the characters are finished, rigged and animated. Basically the short animated film has been rendered, composited and finished. But I've been told not to put any of the other work I've ever done in my portfolio, just put the environment work in it, because after all I’m after is an environment job, so I need to show it through the portfolio, all my generalist skills is just a bonus.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it! :)
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    To repeat the advice from others (but with links ;)) I'd download a popular engine, import a scene into that engine, and post some in-engine renders. You can get a free copy of the Crytek engine from http://mycryengine.com/, the Unreal image from http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/, and the Unity engine from http://unity3d.com/. Those are 3 of the most popular engines; browse through the sites, find one that appeals to you, and have at it! Don't worry too much about choosing the "right" one - most employers want to know that you have experience with a modern game engine, and expect to train you a bit to learn the "correct" methods (i.e. theirs) once you're hired.

I'd get rid of the "Website under construction" tag.

I'd say that your "Without a Soul" project is your strongest; I'd move it to the top. "Kitten" seems the weakest - it almost seems incomplete; I'd move it to the bottom.

I do disagree a bit about the idea of placing everything on a single page - I prefer a two-level system, with each project on it's own page. I just find this lets me have more pictures for each without creating one monstrous page.

Your materials overall seem a bit simple - aside from some subtle reflections in "Music Stage", they all seem to consist only of a diffuse color. The glass in the windows and picture frames would certainly benefit from a gloss map, while the metal and glossy paint should have a specular map. The instruments could certainly use a normal map to show additional details without the expense of geometry, and wear and tear should be visible in the specular, gloss, normal, and diffuse maps. Overall, I'd say the textures are at the 80% stage; unfortunately, that final 20% takes 80% of the time, but are really necessary if you want your work to excel.

In addition to the wireframes, most artists include information about the scene (polygon counts, textures used, and texture sizes). They also include the texture maps, often combining all the sheets into a single image split vertically or diagonally.

Make sure you include your name, engine used (if rendered by an engine), and contact information on each image. Another reason to stay away from Flash is that it's more difficult for somebody to download the image for offline viewing. I'd also include much larger images when the user clicks on the thumbnail - 1280x1024 at least; you've worked hard, why not show off? :)

Rather than linking the contact information on the banner to the "Contacts" page, I'd link them directly. Thus, link the email to a mailto: link, linkedin should go to you linked in site, etc. Personally, I'd be reluctant to include a phone number in the contact information; when somebody likes your work and wants to do an initial interview, they usually coordinate that through e-mail (scheduling is much simpler that way).

Your About page seems to be a combination about/resume page. I'd separate the two, having the about page as a discussion of your dreams/goals/ambitions and life story and the resume as a standard CV. You might also want to create a downloadable version of the resume (typically in PDF format nowadays) and have a link to it at the top of the resume page.

I'm not a big fan of black & white backgrounds - a medium gray is often a better choice. The banner with your name and title is also a bit barren - many artists use this area to showcase their work.

That’s the kind of thing I had going on, each project had its own little space, but after the comments last night I just piled it all into one page. But I suppose having everything on one page, would be a lot easier for someone to just scroll through the work rather than having to click on different pages and wasting their time with it.

yeah you’re right about the materials used, then again I had to go with the style of the film I was creating the work for, but I’m learning it all, and I’m gonna try and get my work into a game engine and see where that takes me!

Anyway, all your suggestions are really good, and I will apply them to my work and to my site. I really appreciate your time you’ve put to have a look at my page and to share some great tips and feedback, really useful! :)
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 wrote: »
    Good start but I would say have the art ready to be viewed right away. I have a couple of link that might help on how to set up your website "mentality" and navigation.
    http://www.galen-davis.blogspot.com/
    http://www.brameulaers.com/
    http://www.ilyanedyal.com/
    http://www.mayvin.be/index.php
    Hope this helps out!

Yeah these are some great sites! Thanks for sharing the links!
    The 1st one is the kind of thing I’ve had going on, where each project would have its own page and more work of it in there, but I’ve been told that there’s too many pages and all, and to make it all simpler; with one page for the whole portfolio, so for now I’ve just done that. :)
  • KarlaZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanna say big thanks to all you guys who took their time to have a look at my work, and to give me some constructive criticism along with some tips and feedback!
    I have now a much better idea of what I should be doing with my work and how to present it as well. Just the info I was after!
    I really appreciate your help and time guys! :)
    So thanks again everyone!