Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
Expanding my character skills to animals and creatures

2i6zy
2i6A6
2i6Aj

2ETK9.jpg
2ETJL.jpg
2ETKz.jpg

Unfortunately its quite rushed and it shows, Without the unique details on the body of the dinosaur during the high poly it really meant the low poly lacked any real uniqueness.

Without enough emphasis on the intensity of the scales in the major form of the body, he has come out quite leathery looking rather than scaly.

Overall it came out OK, but with more care during the High poly to make a more interesting sculpt it could of really help sell the low poly and texture in Engine

Any C&C appreciated helps with my feedback, review and self evaluation

Replies

• mecons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your T-rex is quite good, you show a very good control of the technique, it is evident you've studyed the T-rex anatomy but you didn't managed to control the shape perfectly especially in the front view anyway the overall result is fine.

ps: If you want, you can give me feedback on my dinosaur too! http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119961
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2Fk6R.jpg
    2Fk8L.jpg
    2Fka1.jpg

Still needs some final tweaks and fixes, but turns out quite well tbf,
    Slight difference between the two

-Slightly Red Specular
    -Addition of Rim Lighting
    - Completely New Render Room
    - Deeper Sunset/Nature/Warmer style lighting
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The neck, especially near the shoulder, still seems a bit rough, with overly deep wrinkles that don't seem to curve realistically.

Also, theropod teeth in general are closer to daggers than cones.

The scales on the head seem exceptionally large - going from the size of the teeth, some scales are around 6" long.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2GeKC.jpg
    Link Reccomended: http://puu.sh/2GeKC.jpg

2GYfU.jpg
    Link Reccomended: http://puu.sh/2GYfU.jpg

2GYmU.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-rjNQR0gs"]A003975A - T-Rex Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Feel free to download the installer below and test it in UDK yourself

UDK 07-2012 and Above

Thank you for the feedback DWalker, due to the principle of the project I will not have time to make any major changes but all feedback is truly appreciated, it will allow me to improve on upcoming projects
  • Odd3sy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd3sy polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice job, that red specular gives it a nice contrast, rim lighting is nice and subtle as well
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    looks cool... but i think you should start your turn table at the 0:11 sec mark and then rotate it around.. so you see his face in the beginning.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys,
    And Thanks Jet_Pilot, re-rendering and uploading as we speak :)
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    The knees seem overly twisted inwards in my eyes, they should also be more straight and less X. Doesn't make it feel threatening at all to me.
    Not sure if you used some kind of skeletal blueprints or such, but the weight distribution is slightly off, especially in your turntable with the bent tail. The upper body gives the impression to be too heavy for the tail to even out, so either it is too long or the tail too short or the legs would need to be positioned further to the front.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    It appears to me that the eyes are too cartoonish compared to the rest of the creature. The teeth also look overly flat and clean. Can we see a wireframe? The tail looks kind of blocky, but maybe that's the pose/rigging/weighting.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Toolpadddz

Upon comparison to other creatures I have noticed the legs seem quite drawn in and close to the body, he doesn't seem well weighted as a creature and doesn't look like he has the right mass to throw around, So I couldn't agree more, but the turntable is angled as though hes rounding a corner, which may of been a mistake and highlighted the issue further thanks though

@Jmt The eyes and teeth are infact the weakest part of the model, and didn't get the correct unwrapped placement and care they deserved, and the tail is quite low on polys but wouldn't be as big an issue with a more refined rig, a few extra loops wouldn't of hurt

Thanks again for the feedback guys

Interactive Low Poly with Wireframe
    T-Rex Low (View in 3D)
    D1MvL