Cobra (Haunt) Disfigured mercenary villain

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
UPDATE EDIT: Most recent images
body_beauty_new.jpg
face_beauty_new.jpg
cobra_body_turnaround_new.jpg

Howdy. Here's a character I'm working on, it's "Cobra" a villain from Image Comic's "Haunt" created by Robert Kirkman and Todd Mcfarlane. Right now I'm still at the high-poly stage, which is probably around 80% done.
poly1_body.jpg
poly1_head.jpg

And here's some ref:
poly1_ref.jpg

I've definitely strayed from the ref some. I wasn't trying to adapt the comic style exactly, my idea was "What if this character was adapted for a movie" so I tried to make a few things more logical. Plus, the art is so inconsistent in the comic his outfit seems to change constantly anyway.

Let me know what you think, I always love critique.

Replies

• Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    That is one ugly dude. Looking nice. Sweet proportions and detailing. one thing that stands out is that his pants seem a bit too wrinkled.
  • nedwork
    Awesome so far. can't wait until you finish this
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Looking great, love the changes you've made, especially the vest.
  • Laze
    Looks so cool, nice detail coming through on the face. I think I would of made the scaring on his forehead more inwards than outwards though, but I guess that's just personal preference.
  • harricool
    yeah...good work..as formori said u could subtle down the pant folds...
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback/support guys! I toned down some of the folds in the pants a bit, but I'm trying to give him military-style pants which tend to wrinkle up like crazy - I'll keep working on it though. Laze, I see what you mean. I made it puff out because that's how it looks most the time in the comics, but honestly it's pretty inconsistent. So I kinda picked a middle-ground and made it a bit less puffy.

I've been working on and off with this and other projects, so progress is a little slow but I've got an update. More progress on the high-poly, thought it would be fun to try to take some posed shots.
    posed_high_web.jpg
    cobra_beauty_web.jpg
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Wow looks ace man, really disgusting character in a good way :P keep up the good work.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the low-poly done, it's about 16k tris right now. Here are some screenshots of the normal/ao bake and wireframes taken in marmoset toolbag. I still need to do some tweaking and cleanup but for a first pass I'm fairly happy with the bake.
    cobra_low_bake_web.jpg
    cobra_low_wires.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    cobra_low_flats.jpg

Got some flat colors in there for the textures, still working on it. Let me know what you think!
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    So awesome! Can't wait to see the textures. I'm assuming that you will make the scaring on the face quite a bit redder than the rest of the face? With the texture I think it would be cool to emulate the concept's seahorse like design the scaring makes on his face by accenting it with red tones.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Awe man this is freaking wicked. Bookmarked.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    This looks grotesque, in the best way. Love the throwing knife chest brace. Sorry, no real constructive feedback to give, but keep it up!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like it!

Yes, I'm definitely going to get in there and adjust the texture quite a bit, especially color variation for the scar on the face.

I'm a little unsure how to proceed with the eyes though. In the comic, shortly after he is disfigured, he starts wearing these big black contacts that make his whole eye appear completely black, to accentuate his fearsome look. But then it seems like every other appearance he makes his irises appear normal, presumably that dark purple color we see in the first close-up. I honestly just think the artist forgot about the thing with the contacts.

I think it looks cool both ways, but what do you guys think? Completely black eyes, or regular eyes with the purple iris?
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Making progress with the texture. Not finished, but any feedback is really appreciated!

face.jpg
    texturinprog.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool so far, but I'd bring some more colour variation into the face. Maybe some darker reds/oranges in the face scars, mixed with some bruising purply blue tones.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I tried to finesse the textures a bit more, especially in the face.

cooobra_beauty_wip.jpg
    face_beauty.jpg
    body_turnaround_beaty.jpg
    texture_flats.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some feedback that the transition from skin to scar tissue should be more abrupt, so I adjusted the texture some, and made a .gif!
    cobragif.gif
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for double posting, but I just got around to applying some critiques I got on other forums, and so I got some new renders.

Changes are:
    Adjusted spec for scar. Made borders of scar less gradual. Added more variation to the various red parts of his outfit. Tried to get a better lighting/render setup.

cobra_body_turnaround_new.jpg

I'm gonna call this one done, I've started on some other projects so I'll probably post a new thread within a few days. As always though feedback is appreciated
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome dude! (why is no one commenting on this thread? Silly Polycount)

I really think the armour pads and knives could use more detail (scratches and grunge)

And since the colour scheme is pretty plain, you might consider more interesting light colours. Only if you have time though.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    wow its looking much better now. Can I see another close up of the new rendered face?
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    nice! really nice sculpt man!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog - Thanks! I really appreciate you keeping an eye on this thread. Yeah, to be honest I was a little disappointed I didn't get more responses / feedback here, especially in the final stages when I REALLY needed it. Oh well, it just pushes me to want to do better and create a more appealing character next time. If I revisit this model I'll definitely try to apply your feedback. In terms of damage and grunge, I really tried to avoid overdoing it in that regard, I get kind of tired of seeing every character's armor look like it's been through decades of brutal war. It DOES look cooler that way though, admittedly. Some scratches wouldn't hurt. For the knives though, they all use the same texture, and I was afraid that would become too apparent if I added too much detail.

nufftalon - Thanks! Here's a shot I took of just the face.
    face_beauty_new.jpg

ljsketch - Thanks! I appreciate it.

I also updated my top post with all my most recent renders so people can see the finished product without scrolling down. Sorry this thread ended up so image heavy
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out nice! I know what you mean by the lack of feedback. I sometimes have the same problem. I guess we should take it that things are looking decent enough?

Only thing I would like to see is an alternative lighting set up. More of an indoor look with directional coloured lights. I just feel like the brigh outdoor light is dulling his textures a bit.

Also a new pose where he's standing straight and pushing his chest out or something. I think he would look more powerful that way.
  • silkroadgame
    Ugly,but feeling so cool!
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori - Thanks for the feedback! I liked your idea so I went ahead and grabbed a few new renders with a different pose.
    cobra_beauty_newpose.jpg
    cobra_newpose_turn.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    "That's not a knife....."
    Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That's%20a%20knife%20scene-8x6.jpg?imgmax=800
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man! I like that lower camera as well. Makes him look like a real villain.