Home General Discussion

Age of an artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hello folks, me again with another question thats been troubling me for couple of weeks now as i ll be reaching almost 30 :D this month.
Sorry if its been asked before.

Ok well how old is too old as an artist / designer?

Its not specific to those in gaming industry but as overall such as Draftsmen, (autocad, solidworks etc) , 2D / 3D Artist (webdesigners, visualisers etc)

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Definitely not 30 :) You're still just a baby:P

From what I gather a majority of artists in the game industry gain positions in their mid 20's. That said from a company standpoint I'm sure they'd rather hire someone who is younger so they can grow into a role rather then picking up someone who will have to retire in a couple of years :P.

I'd say maybe reconsider if you're in your late 50's early 60's but that's just a random guess :D
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nooooo I am doomed :D, umm will 28 do?
    but I dont think i ll be getting in gaming industry given my current geographic location, I may make my own games though, but thats different :D
    Also there are 2 ages one physical age and one mental. Hence the term "Man Child"

:D
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I'm a student about to graduate and I've just turned 27.
    I'm personally not worried, before I started studying games art I was a retail manager for a well known PC company so if all else fails I could always fall back into some sort of management role.

It depends how passionate and serious you are, I'll be taking a huge pay cut compared to the job I had and can get doing management but I'm determined to make it work as it's something I really enjoy. Just make sure you're better then the majority of other artists out there and maybe be a bit more flexible when it comes to location.

At the end of the day your art will do the talking, I'm sure any smart recruiter will put that as a priority over how old you are.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Perlinfalcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perlinfalcon polycounter lvl 5
    I am a few years older than you, OP, and just got my first position in the industry. I studied fine art in college, but it took me until around two years ago to figure out that I could use that in a real career. I had the same worries as you when I decided to change careers, but it turns out I didn't have to worry. I don't think age is as much of an issue as I thought it would be.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I have a friend who got his first job at 35+ as a game-artist in the industry. So it's never too late. Ever. :)
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    33 here. And just about everyone i work with is 30+. Ive seen a 25 and 33 year old, both new to the biz and both having that same "young buck" mentality with plenty of drive and passion. I really don't think it matters how old you are when you start. If a place turns down great talent because of age, that place is prolly not worth it.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Not really art related, but my mom was 45 when she decided to go back to school and she's been working in the school district ever since and she's loving it. I dunno, just something to think about :P
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Well I'll be 48 when I try to start in the biz. I have to say that age has been a worry for me, but from what I've heard it's more talent and ability that they are looking for. As long as my portfolio is good and I can do the work then there should be no problem. Only time will tell though.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Why would any age be too old for this? What a stupid question. One of the best CAD guys at my dads company is pushing retirement age.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    you're a pup, you will be fine :D

I got my first gig in games at 35 yrs old,
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this industry if you're good enough age shouldn't matter.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I started 3d modeling when I was 26, though I had a bachelor's degree in fine art by then. Now I'm almost 31. Where I work, there's a range of ages, but a lot of people seem younger than me.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Most people I've worked with have been 30+. The youngest person I've worked with was 19, and he had just dropped out of art college to pursue work.

I've been one of the younger people at the places I've worked. I'm 26.

As long as you have the skills and you aren't an asshole, people really aren't going to care how old you are.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    44 - 45 in september. tbh my games career fizzled out a few years ago, but I am still improving and trying hard to get somewhere. I started looking for games work when I was about 27 and was told then I was too old:)

some companies are a bit age prejudice, but most don't seem to be.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think age matters, but what does matter is general attitude, perspective and vision.

At 18, a person can be all over the place with discipline problems and what not. But there are cases where at 18, the person is completely focused.
    At the same pace, you can be 50 and all over the place...

If companies judge by age, they are doing it wrong. There are way more factors in play, talent being one. ;)

As another poster said, the older you grow, the more life experience you bring to the table.

Anyhow, I suggest you go for it with all your energy. Van Gogh's first "important" piece came when he was 32, after years and years of suffering in pursuit of his passion.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just recently read* something about "late bloomers", and it specifically used artists as an example. Conventional wisdom has it that most great works are done in an artists early years, but the facts just don't hold that true. Cezanne was the one of the examples used.

*Book was..What the Dog Saw, Malcolm Gladwell
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    quality of work will in most cases override age or age related bias.

Syd Mead is 79 years old and still one of the top in the industry.
  • leopadua3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM, point made! spot on.

Many other examples available: Oscar Niemeyer (died last year, 104 years old and many awards when he was "old"), Frank Gehry still productive (84)..and the list goes on.

Anyhow... age is pretty much irrelevant as its being stated.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The best artist is infinitely young and infinitely old, so that he has the most flexible mind yet the most developed techniques and experience.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Snader wrote: »
    The best artist is infinitely young and infinitely old, so that he has the most flexible mind yet the most developed techniques and experience.

Interesting point, I've been told by most of my co-workers that I have more energy and enthusiasm than most of them. I'm also the calmest one in stressfull situations.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah, wasnt expecting much response on this one but wow. Good info all, my mood just lifted as I was feeling all is lost based on my age factor and was considering a career change :D. Now I am gonna focus more as an Artist. :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't worry. I have worked with people ranging from 22 to ~50 in the games industry so far in my first 2 places in the industry. I am currently 23 and working freelance from home after a year in a studio, but I have friends much older in the games industry.

You're never too old! :D
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I have a friend who got his first job at 35+ as a game-artist in the industry. So it's never too late. Ever. :)

This. It's your skill that matters
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 43. You're fine. :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I started in games when I was 20, now I'm 32. We have artists at work in their late 40's, too. There is no age restriction.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logans_run4.jpg
    Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal. Or start running...
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome post Mark :D. Yea i recharged my batteries and now trying to keep swimming in my chosen career I just hope I get picked up by some art design company soon and get settle soon :D.
  • TinGooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logans_run4.jpg
    Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal. Or start running...
    Wow! A "Logan's Run" reference. I haven't seen it since it first came out on CED in `81. Kudos, man. :thumbup: