Home General Discussion

Corel Painter 12

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings Pcers;

I am not sure if I was allowed to make a thread of it and fyi, I did not PC search it for some reason.

Do any of you pencillers, concept artists, or doodlers use both PS CS 5/6 and Painter?

If so, is it worth buying painter for concept arts or should I just stick to photoshop.

The reason I asked is because the digital version of it is really cheap. =\

Replies

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow thanks for the heads up !! Didn't realize it was that low, is that a special offer ?

I personally give it a try once a year or so with the demo but I tend to find it way too glitchy. Nothing crazy bad really - but it just doesn't have the same rock solid feel as photoshop in my opinion.

I do, however, really dig the feel of the liquid ink brushes, with the strokes gently merging together where they meet. Neat stuff.
    Still doesnt beat pen and paper tho :D
  • Bryan Cavett
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Oooh it seems to be related to earth day. I guess it won't last long ! (who would by a box version anyways! hehe)
  • bounchfx
    wow, $170!? I kinda wish I tried it before. I don't know what I'm getting into so even if it's that low I gotta give it a try first to see if I dig it. Great price either way!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    WOW. Great deal. Messed with Painter a few times. Might have to try the demo today again.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lame in the uk its £190 but in canada its $170, £190 = $289 so thats a $120 dollar markup for no reason as its still just a download :(
  • throttlekitty
    It always seemed cool, but I never got past the initial learning curve. Spent more time playing with sliders and trying everything out each time I demo'd it. But daaamn that price...
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    My concept instructor, Don Seegmiller, literally wrote the book on Painter.
    http://www.seegmillerart.com/contents.html

He highly encourages us to use both PS and Painter. I'll be taking his digital painting class this summer. I'm excited!

Is this sale expected to last for very long?
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    My concept instructor, Don Seegmiller, literally wrote the book on Painter.
    http://www.seegmillerart.com/contents.html

He highly encourages us to use both PS and Painter. I'll be taking his digital painting class this summer. I'm excited!

Is this sale expected to last for very long?

It doesnt state for how long its going to be on sale. Also, I think its through the banner ads you get that sort of price if you just go on corel.com / corel.ca and look for painter 12, the actual sale price was different last I checked ( $199.99 I think.)

But I've been wrong before. :poly122:
  • valrdemar
    I think painter has good features too which are unique so it's also good if we can get one for a low price. :)
  • Ben Apuna
    From the email I got from Corel: "Savings expire April 22, 2013 at midnight EDT"

They offer this deal a few times a year (maybe twice?). Last time Painter was this price was 2012's "Cyber Monday" sale 11/24 through 11/29.

They also offer Painter a couple of times a year at $229 new, $129 upgrade. Their usual sale pricing is ~$240 new, ~$150 upgrade. There was a "Flash Sale" in January $215 new, $115 upgrade.

Sign up for their email for deal spam if you want to keep an eye out for it.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Woah - isn't it weird to have to pay 9.99 extra for that ?
    Protect yourself with Download Insurance

With download insurance you enjoy the following benefits:

Peace of mind: Never worry about losing your CD(s) again, we will retain a backup copy of your digital file/download for 2 years
    Convenience: Need to re-install your software? Simply contact us and we will send your file so you can re-download your software anyplace, anytime
    Savings: For about 40 cents a month over 2 years, you can save on the cost of ordering a replacement CD which can cost upwards of $25.00
    Please note that Download Insurance is non-refundable.

So then what happens after 2 years ? No more download link ??
  • RyanB
    It always seemed cool, but I never got past the initial learning curve. Spent more time playing with sliders and trying everything out each time I demo'd it. But daaamn that price...

Artrage is a lot cheaper and less fiddly. The presets are great.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Have they finally got a 64 bit version and multithreading? Last time i used painter it was using 1/8th my cpu.
  • TinGooch
    RyanB wrote: »
    Artrage is a lot cheaper and less fiddly. The presets are great.
    Yeah. The latest version is really nice. The mult-axis symmetry is great - sort of like what Corel offers. The color mixing and overall responsiveness have improved too. Corel probably offers more overall, but ArtRage v4 is really hard to beat for $50, $25 for the upgrade. I don't think I've touched SketchBook Pro since the latest ArtRage came out.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    The software is great, no doubts about it. Michael Kutsche, Sam Nielson, Po Wen and a lot of other talented concept artists use it world wide.
    I'd buy without blinking. The only problem is that this offer is valid just for US, Canada and UK. I really don't understand the reason for this, though. It's a download from a website, it should be valid in any country.
  • ikken
    Muzz wrote: »
    Have they finally got a 64 bit version and multithreading? Last time i used painter it was using 1/8th my cpu.

windows version - yes/yes
    mac version has multithreading for brushes and it's 64 bit aware, but it's slow like hell, and overall performance is very, very poor

btw painter has been on sale pretty much for the whole past year (at least, compared to the launch price), and 12.2.0.2 build is the most stable so far; they also cleaned up quite a lot of bugs.

still not there compared to PC cs6 in many many ways, tho.
    JR wrote: »
    The software is great, no doubts about it. Michael Kutsche, Sam Nielson, Po Wen and a lot of other talented concept artists use it world wide.
    I'd buy without blinking. The only problem is that this offer is valid just for US, Canada and UK. I really don't understand the reason for this, though. It's a download from a website, it should be valid in any country.

local corel office operation/management costs most probably
    EU editions of painter are quite expensive, like most software/hardware
    (there was that recent thread @ wacom forum, and intuos replacement pens are apparently $ 150 >> in the UK... madness)
  • TinGooch
    JR wrote: »
    Pretty sure they'd still be good even if they only used crayons. Robust tools are nice, but talent rules all.
  • ikken
    I wonder if Po Wen really still using painter 5

that would make a lot of sense, tho, seeing how fast early painter versions have been (and still are in comparison)
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    TinGooch wrote: »
    Pretty sure they'd still be good even if they only used crayons. Robust tools are nice, but talent rules all.

I never said the opposite. Those guys are good because they are simply good.
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    @JR: there´s a post in Sam´s blog when he said is moving from Painter to Photoshop. He even share some brush thoughts wichh can be interesting for you PS users.

I know. But he used for many years.
  • ikken
    Sorry to hijack the thread with another topic,

But are you guys really aware of Manga Studio 5? It´s cheaper and (I´d say) less stressful than Corel Painter. Had move from SAI in the last month and I think it´s pretty solid for Illustration work. Still need my CS2 to work with Channels and little editing.
    manga studio is amazing, especially given the bang 4 buck they offer with current v. 5 (and there would be a more extensive "pro" version coming in the summer too);
    they have amazing inking tools, pressure sensitivity is perfect (and you can tweak it both per-brush and as a global program setting), very nice smooth airbrushes (something that's very half-assed in current painter), quick loading times, native 64 bit support, clean rendering at any zoom, list really goes on and on
    it does lack some final editing stuff, but nothing can beat photoshop in that regard
    Years ago a buddie tell me the version 6 was the blast for inking. I could n ´t find it to make this test.
    v. 6 was great for many things... I still use it on my windows xp vm, but it's quite impossible to find a working CD today, as it was released over 10 years ago.
    it crashes a lot, tho, and doesn't do PSD compression ( = longer saving times & huge file sizes);
    some de-facto stuff is also missing (flipping canvas, for example, or assigning custom shortcuts)
    anyway, if you're using manga studio, it's one of a few programs that are better than painter 6 for delicate inking jobs (the other would be sai)
  • Michael Knubben
    Manga Studio 5 is fantastic. Mostly for inking, but the painting tools seems quite nice as well. Then add perspective guides and all that stuff, and you've got a pretty amazing package for that price.

it is, however, pretty slow compared to Photoshop. I haven't tested it at home yet, but at work it can lag quite a bit on larger files.
  • skankerzero
    I use Painter whenever I concept.

Love it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Yeah, that's one of my favourite functions. shift for a smudge tool is great for instance. Or a lasso-fill tool where holding control temporarily switches it to erase. So lovely!
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    @MightyPea: yeah. I´ve noticed Manga Studio suffer to open some documents. Their native archive format .LIP generate big files, which can´t be bad for HUGE illustrations at higher dpis.
    What I most like in this program is the ability to link almost every function through a keyboard shortcut. You can have default shortcut keys + modifier keys (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Space) doing specific actions for each tool.

I have been keeping an eye on Manga Studio but won't buy it until I actually set up the workstation for traditional arts including the lightbox. (Yes I know it is weird as you can do pretty much anything in Manga Studio, including refine line work with their ink tool.)

I may have to buy it up anyways since it is coming from you sir Dado.

Currently I am a huge fan of Photoshop CS5 EXT because I am too used to it. If I switch to another tool (even Sketchbook pro or gimp, which is free to download and use,) I would seriously have a hard time managing my project(s) while working on them. I wish to be rid of that factor, but all things in good time. I wanted to start off with Corel Painter because Fang Zhou uses both Photoshop and Painter. I thought it would be something worth learning or start off learning other 2d digital sketch paint tools from.

EDIT: And the fact that it was on sale was a plus for me.
  • ikken
    bumping this thread -

US ver. of painter 12 is $ 199 until May, 13, this applies to both boxed and download version
    corel.com/painter
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Bought painter 12 after trying the different version since 6 (metacreations was the shit back in the days ^^), I never really felt at home each time, I've been using photoshop for so long habits die hard.

BUT ! 12 is really nice, take the trial if you're not convinced. I'll definitely use it with photoshop now. They finaly got some hints at adobe UI and it shows :)

BTW, if you guys use photoshop for illustration purpose, I advise you to try the magicPicker v3 by anastasiy.com. It was slow as hell with previous version (I prefered Painters Wheel by Len White just for that), but now it's as fast as Len's one and the new tone lock option is gold, you can really make subtle color variation without effort now, but it's still a bit pricey I agree.