Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brink Charecter Anatomy [WIP]

Hi there Polycount community,

I'm doing a character based on the anatomy of BRINK the game. This might be a noob question but I want the opinion of the community on the low-poly character I know how to make it low poly but is it efficient that's where I'm a bit confused. Thanks for any help.

ftkp9gg.jpg

DXOHsPg.jpg

XSEsxBj.jpg

nmrTajG.jpg

xINc6WW.jpg

hyfveMl.jpg

SNoMAoq.jpg

n3o5JSs.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The sculpt looks fairly nice. I don't know what ears looked like in Brink, but in your sculpt the anatomy on the ear is way off and kind of strange. Compare to some photos online to see what I mean.

The topology is on the right track but there are a lot of problems, and honestly I feel like you will need to redo large sections of it. To make things easiest for UV mapping and rigging, and for good looking deformation, you need a lot of edge loops that wrap all the way around a part of your model or the anatomy, with special focus paid to the areas that deform a lot. And your goal with the low-poly is to produce a good looking silhouette. I don't have time to go over every area, but I'll mention a few things on your model that really jumped out at me. The geometry in the shoulder area is what worries me the most. For one thing, it appears to be handled differently between the front in the back. There are multiple ways to do this, but I would suggest putting a clean loop that wraps around from the top of the shoulder around to the armpit, and a few surrounding loops to support that.

I would like to see a few more complete edge loops around the mouth in the face. The ear probably won't deform much so the topology isn't that important, but it's a little crazy right now.

You also have a lot of odd places all over the model where loops terminate in odd places or there is unnecessary geometry. I did a quick image below where I indicated one way to do the edge loops in the shoulder area, and also circled a few of those odd spots that may deform oddly or don't make much sense to me.
    n3o5JSs.jpg

You should really study the images in the pages linked here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology

Those pages have way better info than I can really give you, so check them out and you should get a better idea of what to fix.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    one thing I'm seeing right off the bat is that there's no triangles. If you're preparing this for a game ready situation don't be afraid to use triangles. For sculpting they can cause headaches but at this stage they are your friend.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    bounchfx wrote: »
    one thing I'm seeing right off the bat is that there's no triangles. If you're preparing this for a game ready situation don't be afraid to use triangles. For sculpting they can cause headaches but at this stage they are your friend.

Well, the quads are converted to triangles anyway so it's not really a concern.

Crzyeuropn you have some odd topology flow going on that really should be averaged a bit better as Shiniku suggests.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It's more a question of efficiency and good structure for animation than what will actually wind up in the game.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
  • Crzyeuropn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    The sculpt looks fairly nice. I don't know what ears looked like in Brink, but in your sculpt the anatomy on the ear is way off and kind of strange. Compare to some photos online to see what I mean.

The topology is on the right track but there are a lot of problems, and honestly I feel like you will need to redo large sections of it. To make things easiest for UV mapping and rigging, and for good looking deformation, you need a lot of edge loops that wrap all the way around a part of your model or the anatomy, with special focus paid to the areas that deform a lot. And your goal with the low-poly is to produce a good looking silhouette. I don't have time to go over every area, but I'll mention a few things on your model that really jumped out at me. The geometry in the shoulder area is what worries me the most. For one thing, it appears to be handled differently between the front in the back. There are multiple ways to do this, but I would suggest putting a clean loop that wraps around from the top of the shoulder around to the armpit, and a few surrounding loops to support that.

I would like to see a few more complete edge loops around the mouth in the face. The ear probably won't deform much so the topology isn't that important, but it's a little crazy right now.

You also have a lot of odd places all over the model where loops terminate in odd places or there is unnecessary geometry. I did a quick image below where I indicated one way to do the edge loops in the shoulder area, and also circled a few of those odd spots that may deform oddly or don't make much sense to me.
    n3o5JSs.jpg

You should really study the images in the pages linked here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology

Those pages have way better info than I can really give you, so check them out and you should get a better idea of what to fix.

Thanks shiniku for your input and guide I really do appreciate it
    thanks
  • Crzyeuropn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    Well, the quads are converted to triangles anyway so it's not really a concern.

Crzyeuropn you have some odd topology flow going on that really should be averaged a bit better as Shiniku suggests.

I dont have to worry about the tri because the software will do that for me but thanks MrNinjutsu for the input